Mavic Ksyrium front wheel hub..

thatb
thatb Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Just got this used 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod. Mavic Ksyrium stock wheel set doesn't spin well.

I am comparing it with old 2011 Easton EA50 that I had on my 5 year old cyclocross. For front wheels: Ksyrium spun only for half the time as old front wheels. Back wheels didn't spin well either. Both these are tested without any load and bicycle was placed upside down. I do understand that the performance under load could be different, point is there is significant difference.

So far, I rode Supersix just once for 40+ miles at 14.8mph with 1300 ft elevation, and felt it rolled slower. Average mph was 10% slower compared to my earlier rides on the same route. However I felt I put in more effort (I know there are too many variables - different bike, weather, etc. If anything Supersix is 6 pounds lighter.). I am 5'8" rider and 140 lbs, recreational rider.

I need to get cone wrench to mess with the front and rear hub. Has anyone had this issue before and what are the possible causes? Bearing preload is too tight, worn out bearing, need mineral oil, etc. I understand these are sealed cartridge bearings (608+6001). Hoping this is something I can fix it myself without a trip to LBS. Not sure if its time for new bearing. It has only 1500 miles on it though. Hate to spend even more $$$ on new wheels if I don't have to.

I did search and saw few complaints about noise in the front/rear hub.

search.php?keywords=ksyrium+front+hub&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12965936

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12910261

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No way will a slightly draggier bearing slow you down that much.

It also depends what you are comparing it to, cup and come have less drake than sealed cartridge if they are set up well.

A video of a spin would help to understand how draggy it really is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thatb
    So I called Mavic. It's shipped out to them, will be another three weeks before I get it back.
  • thatb
    So the wheels came back from Mavic, few weeks back. They said wheels function per design and adjust the preload as I like it to be. If I expect even better performance, then I was told to upgrade the wheels.
  • Haha brilliant reply from Mavic.

The Ksyrium (especially SL and upward) are damn fine wheels. Certainly fine enough for us mere mortals. I've two sets, some ultegra 6700's and 50mm carbon tubs and the Mavic are my go to wheels for a group ride. So easy to service and set pre-load and they climb brilliantly.

I think you had an off day if they slowed you down that much ;)
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think they are basically saying that it was the preload setting that was causing the 'draggy' performance. Sounds reasonable and quite likely. Pretty easy thing to fix, although the right tools help (usually a couple of cone spanners or allan keys).
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think they are basically saying that it was the preload setting that was causing the 'draggy' performance. Sounds reasonable and quite likely. Pretty easy thing to fix, although the right tools help (usually a couple of cone spanners or allan keys).

Preload on these is really easy to fix and can be done by just turning the preload adjuster with your fingers or using the plastic Mavic multi tool if you have one (a few quid).

These wheels aren't generally draggy unless one of the cartridge bearings has failed. The preload must have been very tight to cause
    a draggy feel.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3