Blade Runner 2049

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
edited December 2016 in The cake stop
I've been waiting impatiently for the first teaser and now it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXvp8M9Cog

Screenplay by Hampton Fancher.
Denis Villeneuve is the man right now.
Roger 'The Legend' Deakins as cinematographer.
And Scott is overseeing everything.
Oh and Jóhann Jóhannsson is a superb composer.

As a massive, massive fan of the original (I spent a fortune buying an original poster) I was a bit sceptical but I reckon this is going to be a winner.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Brilliant! definitely worth a trip to the cinéma for that one! Thanks for the heads up. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I thought that this was a thread about the sentencing of Oscar pistorius
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    What! I've missed episodes 2-2048?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Never seen the original.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I wouldn't be owning up to that bally.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Garry H wrote:
    I thought that this was a thread about the sentencing of Oscar pistorius

Ha! Me too the rest of this thread is trival drivel.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Blade what? Who?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrfpb
    edited December 2016

Is that American format (6th October) or UK format (10th June)?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Looks good, I'm another big fan of the original.

I see they mention Philip K Dick in the titles of this one too, which makes me chuckle a bit. I've read the story and struggle to see the connection.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mrfpb
    I feel sorry for the guy who wrote the original Blade Runner script. He must hve been over the moon when the studio bought it, but they ditched it. They only wanted the title to transfer to for the movie adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", which was obviously not a great title in the post Star Wars era of sci fi blockbusters.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    I feel sorry for the guy who wrote the original Blade Runner script. He must hve been over the moon when the studio bought it, but they ditched it. They only wanted the title to transfer to for the movie adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", which was obviously not a great title in the post Star Wars era of sci fi blockbusters.

Do you mean Philip K Dick who wrote the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

The original screenplay was written by Hampton Fancher who's also written the screenplay for this sequel.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb wrote:

Do you mean Philip K Dick who wrote the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

The original screenplay was written by Hampton Fancher who's also written the screenplay for this sequel.

Neither. Hampton Fancher was hired to adapt "Do Androids Dream..." from Philip K Dick's novel, but no one liked the title. So they optioned a completely unrelated finished script (Blade Runner- apparently it was a medical thriller) took the title and binned the script. The script writer got paid, but I'm guessing they were gutted to see their work binned.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How many other classic film remake/sequels will Harrison Ford pop back up in as an older him lol.
    He should start popping up in classic film remake/sequels that he was never in, just to confuse us!

Looking forward to this a lot :P
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I will watch it of course but I don't think it can have the impact of the original
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The original had very little resemblance to the book. The remake won't either. So I don't get the continual referencing of Philip K Dick's novel. Similar could be said for I Robot.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    The original had very little resemblance to the book. The remake won't either. So I don't get the continual referencing of Philip K Dick's novel. Similar could be said for I Robot.

It's not a remake though. It's a sequel.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Mr Goo wrote:

Yes, but I Robot does at least contain elements from Asimov's set of short stories, even though they are out of context or not related to the films plot. It's a loonngg time since I read them, but I do see bits cropping up in the film.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mrfpb
    Carbonator wrote:
    How many other classic film remake/sequels will Harrison Ford pop back up in as an older him lol.
    He should start popping up in classic film remake/sequels that he was never in, just to confuse us!

Looking forward to this a lot :P

Of his regular roles, it's only Jack Ryan (Patriot Games/Clear and Present Danger) that he hasn't ressurected. He was woeful doing Humphrey Bogart's part in the Sabrina remake, so I wouldn't want to see him in many other remakes of classics.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Mr Goo wrote:

Didn't realise that. Still I wonder if there will be any android animals.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Do you like our owl?
  • mrfpb
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Do you like our owl?

"Is that a real snake"