Reba 29er Pushloc Stuck

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My pushloc remote has stopped working, it seems like the bit on top of the fork moves okish but the remote keeps getting stuck.

Is there a hack for this? I don't mind if it's stuck unlocked permanently.

What's the alternative a new remote? Or could it be something in the fork?

Mick

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tried cleaning the lever and fitting a new cable?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They're useless sh1t. Personally, I'd bin it. Just run it permanently unlocked.
    If you really want to keep it, strip and clean it and fit a new cable.
  • First check if it's actually the remote that's broken, not just a stuck or slack cable.
    From what I gather, Pushloc works the other way around as Poploc, so removing the remote means your forks will be closed all the time.

Well, you might open the dampening unit in your right fork and remove the spring that keeps returning the locking ring. I only know it can be done, never done it myself and I have no idea what to watch out for. The advantage is that you'll be able to ditch the remote and lock or unlock your fork at any point.

If you don't fancy opening the fork itself, you can try using the bowden cable end for holding the actual cable, turning the locking ring by hand and attaching the cable to the ring while it's under tension, so that your fork is open at all times. You'll probably need to get your own end as the ones on the remotes are not removable. Or at least I had to get my own cable end when I was shortening my remote lockout cable.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Removing the return spring in the damper is literally a two minute job which even a blind, one armed chimp could manage.
  • geomickb
    Cable is new and I am pretty sure its the Pushloc, When it is in, I push it and nothing happens, I can sometimes pull it out.

Where is the spring, in the pushloc or the fork?

Even with the cable undone the fork does not seem fully unlocked.

Mick
  • rockmonkeysc
    With the cable removed the fork is locked.
    Remove the knob from the top of the fork. Unscrew the damper cartridge from the fork. Look inside and you'll see a torsion spring, unhook it with a pointy object. Refit the damper. Refit the knob with an o ring (or something) under it to just give a bit of friction.
  • geomickb
    With the cable removed the fork is locked.
    Remove the knob from the top of the fork. Unscrew the damper cartridge from the fork. Look inside and you'll see a torsion spring, unhook it with a pointy object. Refit the damper. Refit the knob with an o ring (or something) under it to just give a bit of friction.

Spring and cable are now in the workshop floor. Will see what it rides like tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mick
  • rockmonkeysc
    It'll be like floating on a cloud of titties
  • It'll be like floating on a cloud of titties
    Pulp+Fiction+Jules.jpg