Zwift vs Strava segments

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
Hi
I dont yet have Zwift but I do ride with Strava. Quite often I see people upload their Zwift rides to Strava and then qualify for Strava segments. Is this people uploading their rides with bad data labels or are there separate segments on Strava for Zwift?
I have noticed some Zwift riders getting times placed on my local segments, while there are other segment leaderboards that seem to be dominated by Zwift riders. Could someone explain how this works?
Thanks!

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Zwift has its own segments... now I dont think you are in 'Watopia' or 'Richmond' but you might get 'cross overs' from the London course.
    Unavoidable , I think as Zwift and Strava are very much in partnership.. your opinion dont carry much weight sad to say.
    On the plus side , you could join the Zwift convention.
    Zwift speed algorithm is pretty much as accurate as it can be... if someone is pounding out a lap average of over 26mph in a London race, yu can be assured that that rider is making some considerable effort!
    Hope that allays some of your concerns.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Shouldn't all of the Zwift segments be classified as "Virtual Ride Segments" and only be matched to virtual rides?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dabber wrote:
    Shouldn't all of the Zwift segments be classified as "Virtual Ride Segments" and only be matched to virtual rides?

Correct. All trainer rides should be Virtual Rides although it is possible to upload them as normal rides if you try.

Virtual Rides have their own segments and don't cross over to real life segments.
  • Dabber wrote:

Correct. All trainer rides should be Virtual Rides although it is possible to upload them as normal rides if you try.

Virtual Rides have their own segments and don't cross over to real life segments.

Fairly frequently I see activities tagged as "virtual rides" showing up at the top of "real life" leaderboards, so perhaps there is something broke with Strava? They usually stand out when they have ridiculous over the top maximum speeds, for example in CX/XC type segments that involve a lot of tight turns where you lose a lot of speed on the bends.
  • james22b2 wrote:
    Fairly frequently I see activities tagged as "virtual rides" showing up at the top of "real life" leaderboards, so perhaps there is something broke with Strava?

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen this. I remember hearing in the early days when they first introduced the UCI Richmond course there was some talk of cross over into real life segments, but I'm pretty sure it's all been sorted and all Zwift rides on Strava are now virtual (looking at my real life London and virtual London rides I can't find any segment cross overs).
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    They separate automatically otherwise I wouldn't have some of the virtual KOMs I do/did.

I was once KOM on Alp du Huez :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • I use virtual training and my "routes" generally upload to Strava as virtual rides - I just checked and its impossible to change these to register as real rides on Strava.

However, a couple of times recently I took a break half-way through a session and someone else nabbed the laptop and rebooted it - these sessions both uploaded as real rides and registered on the leaderboards for these, though I was able to change the tagging to virtual rides. So it is possible for some sessions to show up on the leaderboards, and if someone wanted this to happen for completed virtual rides, there is probably a way of getting round Strava.