Best year round CX clincher race tyres?

othello
othello Posts: 577
edited December 2016 in Cyclocross
I'm looking for recommendations for clincher CX race tyres that will handle most conditions. I know that no tyre will cope with all conditions, but I'm looking for a tyre that will manage early season CX races which are hard, fast and like grass crits. But will also still work as the ground gets soft and the mud appears. So a tyre for 90% of the time, the other 10% being a total mud-fest when nothing will work!

This is for my sons CX bike who is on clinchers, and I can't (yet) justify a stack of wheels ready with different tyres. Ideally I don't want to be looking at the weather on a Saturday evening and swapping tyres around!

I'm thinking maybe Baby Limus, or Limus? Clement PDX maybe, or even the new Islabike Griem Pro, which look just like a Baby Limus?

In an ideal world they would have tan walls, as my son is a bit of a fashion victim... :D
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• (I'd wager they're not the tubeless version but they're still great)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Grifo

Not always the right choice very rarely a bad choice.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    LeePaton wrote:
    Grifo

Very well put.

Or the various equivalents (XG Pro etc) which are effectively the same tread under a different name.

Not sure how old the OP's son is, but even in late season wet conditions most kids (up to and including U16) are generally racing on fairly grippy ground; that's one of the reasons they go first. Very rare that they end up racing in the sort of conditions you really *need* proper mud tyres.

Challenge Grifo Open Tubular (despite the name they're actually clinchers) would fit the bill, including tan sidewalls, but they're not cheap. I also don't know whether they're more fragile than other clinchers; anyone who's used them able to comment?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Michelin Muds are another option, good in everything except really deep mud.
  • othello
    TGOTB wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:
    Grifo

Very well put.

Or the various equivalents (XG Pro etc) which are effectively the same tread under a different name.

Not sure how old the OP's son is, but even in late season wet conditions most kids (up to and including U16) are generally racing on fairly grippy ground; that's one of the reasons they go first. Very rare that they end up racing in the sort of conditions you really *need* proper mud tyres.

Challenge Grifo Open Tubular (despite the name they're actually clinchers) would fit the bill, including tan sidewalls, but they're not cheap. I also don't know whether they're more fragile than other clinchers; anyone who's used them able to comment?

Great info, thanks.

My son is U14, so yes he gets the better conditions and the course hasn't really churned up yet. National Trophy will be different of course, with the number of riders practicing, but thats a whole different ball game. I'm more thinking about regional races where they are on grippy ground, and also some summer CX (we have a few local series near us).

Feels like a Grifo is one to look at, or the Baby Limus which appears to be a faster rolling Limus (due to more blocks in the centre).
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    andyp wrote:
    LOL - bit like the Fango (fango being the Italian for mud) which seems at its best in less-than-muddy conditions.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    Grifo, latex tubes, about 20psi if they're 5 stone wet through like my son, should be grippy enough for pretty much any conditions in an U12/Youth race.

That's what my son had for a couple of seasons until (to answer TGOTB's question) the sidewalls perished and the threads started to detach and eventually form holes. If not used on the road much the sidewalls will give out before the tread goes, I've also had a pair of LImus do the same, 2-3 seasons max. They also do a cheaper version of the Grifo with the same tread pattern but not 'open tubular' construction.

My son now has Bontrager CX3 set up tubeless, again another intermediate tyre.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    TGOTB wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    LOL - bit like the Fango (fango being the Italian for mud) which seems at its best in less-than-muddy conditions.

:) I doubt it gets that muddy in most of France.

They're okay in mud, in that they don't tend to clog, but the tread isn't really aggressive enough to get good grip.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297

They also have the more expensive, tubeless version for ~£30 (plus VAT and delivery). Although I ordered 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything so not sure whats going on there.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    My son (also U14) rides all season on Conti CycloX King RS - this season we've had hardpack, sand, forestry, gravel, soft parkland, liquid mud and muddy cow fields and we've not yet found a surface where it doesn't work well..
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Michelin mud2s are quite good in light mud and seem to come good again in very sloppy mud. It is just the claggy stuff that they seem to struggle in. I think they are more of an all rounder than a Grifo which can be a bit sketchy on corners and off cambers.
  • joey54321 wrote:

They also have the more expensive, tubeless version for ~£30 (plus VAT and delivery). Although I ordered 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything so not sure whats going on there.

That's not good. I think Highonbikes have them as well, bit more money though. They are excellent. I'm using mine this Sunday for the final round mudfest.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • othello
    edited December 2016
    Picked up some Grifo's (the cheap basic version) from a friend to try out. First impressions from my son were good, apart from off camber where they were 'well sketchy' (as the youth say these days).

Need to give them a longer test I think...
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    joey54321 wrote:

That's not good. I think Highonbikes have them as well, bit more money though. They are excellent. I'm using mine this Sunday for the final round mudfest.

I contacted them and they are on the way...apparently.