Gamification Research

EvetheStudent
EvetheStudent Posts: 13
edited December 2016 in Commuting chat
Dear commuters - could I please get your help with the research I'm doing into gamification of mobile applications within the health and fitness domain. For most of you, that probably translates as "Strava"

Here's the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/gamificationresearch

Thanks so much!

Eve the Student

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Done. Interesting area - good luck!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Done, and agree on the area. interesting stuff
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Hi Eve, I work at Glasgow uni.

A couple of points on the survey:

Question 4. You ask if people use applications while exercising and highlight Strava in your OP. Technically many people do not use Strava while exercising, they upload the data afterwards. It might be a small point but depending on what you are intending to do with the data it could be significant.

Question 7. Connection to social networks. This is not black and white as the question answers allow for. Many people post selected things to social networks and are specific about what they put up. Again, maybe a small point but it might not be.

I've answered as best I can.
  • dhope
    ^^ Indeed. I assumed that Strava was just the most obvious example, but Zwift and a bunch of others exist too.
    And I posted when I ran London Marathon for example, but I don't go posting every commute for the same reason I unfollow people that post gym selfies.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    ^^ Indeed. I assumed that Strava was just the most obvious example, but Zwift and a bunch of others exist too.
    And I posted when I ran London Marathon for example, but I don't go posting every commute for the same reason I unfollow people that post gym selfies.

Yeah, I use Sufferfest but that's on my computer so not mobile and I don't think you can use it to compete like Zwift, Strava etc.

Yeah, I know people who seem to post every little activity to Facebook from Strava, even if it was just a pedal to the cafe. It's really annoying. I'll post up something big, like doing the Rise Above Sportive, but other than that I keep them separate.
  • Firstly, thanks so much for those that have filled out the survey - I really appreciate your time. Some people have ticked "No" to the questions regarding awareness of purpose and privacy and regarding age. I can't use your data.
    Hi Eve, I work at Glasgow uni.

A couple of points on the survey:

Question 4. You ask if people use applications while exercising and highlight Strava in your OP. Technically many people do not use Strava while exercising, they upload the data afterwards. It might be a small point but depending on what you are intending to do with the data it could be significant.

Question 7. Connection to social networks. This is not black and white as the question answers allow for. Many people post selected things to social networks and are specific about what they put up. Again, maybe a small point but it might not be.

I've answered as best I can.

Hi - I think it's worth considering data collected and uploaded to Strava (etc) afterwards as the same as using the mobile app as, to all intents, it's the same for the purposes of this research. I'm mostly interested in the gamification element and the social media (as motivation) aspect. The survey is to paint a picture of how these elements influence people.

Thanks for all of your support.
  • dhope
    I'm mostly interested in the gamification element and the social media (as motivation) aspect. The survey is to paint a picture of how these elements influence people.

Also bear in mind that Strava is a social network too. So even though I don't post to facebook, I'll still comment on friends rides / kudos etc within Strava.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Also bear in mind that Strava is a social network too. So even though I don't post to facebook, I'll still comment on friends rides / kudos etc within Strava.

Definitely. Garmin Connect is too.
  • Dear All - thanks so much for your input - I'm incredibly grateful.

One last call for subjects to supply input.

Eve the Student
  • Done.

• Hi - I think it's worth considering data collected and uploaded to Strava (etc) afterwards as the same as using the mobile app as, to all intents, it's the same for the purposes of this research. I'm mostly interested in the gamification element and the social media (as motivation) aspect. The survey is to paint a picture of how these elements influence people.

Thanks for all of your support.

In that case my answers may skew your data, sorry about that!