Recommend me a XXL bike

bfm85
bfm85 Posts: 5
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I started to ride recently as I moved very close to trails in the Surrey Hills and am really enjoying it.

I bought a hardly used Ragley Marley (Large, 20") that had some nice upgrades. I love the bike, but it's just too small. I'm 6ft 5in and after an hour my lower back is in bits. Even with the seat very high I also don't get near the right amount of extension in my legs, so feel I'm not getting the most out of it.

We have the bike 2 work scheme at work with Evans Cycles, so I am thinking about buying an XXL (23") bike and really need some advice.

I love my hardtail with 120mm forks and am struggling to find something similar in my size.

I also haven't ruled out full suspension, but a bit worried about how much speed I would lose on the climbs (not as fit as I used to be :oops: ).

The max allowable on the scheme is £1000, but would be happy to put the money I make selling the Marley into the bike in upgrades or just top up (if that's allowed).

Thanks!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Choices are very limited once you go bigger than large
    It's worth looking at XL bikes as well, sizing can vary quite a lot. I know a couple lads who are at least as tall as you who ride XL Treks.
  • bfm85
    I had wondered if I could get away with an XL, but honestly a 1 or 1.5 inch increase doesn't sound like it would make enough of a difference. My current bike feels way too small.

I realise brands differ and would be happy to be proved wrong though - as you say it would really open up a lot more options!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The seat tube length isn't the important measurement. As long as you can get the saddle high enough it's the top tube length that's more important.
  • is it worth a trip to your local evans????
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I'm 6ft 5 with 36in legs, my old mtb was a 21inch (xl) rockhopper comp but they did do it in 23inch. My current bike is an XL Giant anthem. Don't forget you can always put a longer stem on.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A very quick comparison between bikes is to look at reach and stack. If you have a bike already that you like this can help chose which bikes are better candidates. Remember a 21" from one brand can be very different in size to a 21" from another Brand.

I am 6ft7 with a relatively longer body and ride a 23" Specialized hardtail which fits me very well. A useful guide would be to test ride a 21" and 23" rockhopper at the same time as then you would know which is best. Once you find a bike that fits look for others with similar reach and stack measurements, this saves wasting time on bikes which are the wrong size.

Being tall I know how frustrating it is to find a bike the right size and that most people think all you need is a longer stem and seat post :(

Just make sure you don't get a bike that is way too small :)
  • bfm85
    Kajjal wrote:
    A very quick comparison between bikes is to look at reach and stack. If you have a bike already that you like this can help chose which bikes are better candidates. Remember a 21" from one brand can be very different in size to a 21" from another Brand.

I am 6ft7 with a relatively longer body and ride a 23" Specialized hardtail which fits me very well. A useful guide would be to test ride a 21" and 23" rockhopper at the same time as then you would know which is best. Once you find a bike that fits look for others with similar reach and stack measurements, this saves wasting time on bikes which are the wrong size.

Being tall I know how frustrating it is to find a bike the right size and that most people think all you need is a longer stem and seat post :(

Thanks. The frustration is real! Not just in mtb, but everything else too.

I think I'll head down to my local Evans and jump on a few different bikes. Hopefully they carry some xxl frames to compare to the xl versions.
  • bfm85 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

I think I'll head down to my local Evans and jump on a few different bikes. Hopefully they carry some xxl frames to compare to the xl versions.

Best bet is to ring ahead and book a test ride with Evans, ask them to get the right bikes in the right size for you to try. If you take your passport/licence they will let you take them out for a quick ride. I had to pay a £50 deposit for them to get a bike out of the warehouse and build it so i could test ride it. They refunded it straight away afterwards though.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • bfm85
    bfm85 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Best bet is to ring ahead and book a test ride with Evans, ask them to get the right bikes in the right size for you to try. If you take your passport/licence they will let you take them out for a quick ride. I had to pay a £50 deposit for them to get a bike out of the warehouse and build it so i could test ride it. They refunded it straight away afterwards though.

will do!