my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Work, Christmas party, hotel
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Last day of paid for work this year.

Lots of unpaid for graft at home from tomorrow...
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, in head office today, meeting with our pensions guy, I'm too young to think about pensions...
  • In work as normal.

You're never to young to think about your pension, as soon as I started my apprentiship I paid in to the group pension and if your employer matches your contribution (which we do for our staff) then pay in as much as they will match. We match their contributions up to 5% of their salary.

Feeling happy today, most of the Christmas shopping is complete, bills are down, orders are up, I have 143km to go to hit 4000 for the year. Not massive by some standards but good enough for the time crunched cyclist that I am.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Dealing with idiots again, I managed to resist telling the guy he was a fool until after I'd put the phone down. Did let him know he was completely wrong. But he seems to think he knows everything. Thankfully only in until 11.30 then taking the daughter out for her birthday. Day off tomorrow as well. Not quite as good as Orraloon finishing for the year but it'll do me. Pub later.
    That's a decent mileage by my standards HD, probably about 4 times mine for this year. Not been a good year for me and my bikes. :oops:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    You're never to young to think about your pension

this, start early, take any matched saving plan offered, pay attention

other options include...
    - buy property, rent it out, plan to sell it to fund retirement, get it right and/or be lucky and you can 'retire' very early and live off the income, this is not an easy option
    - hope something will save you from grim poverty cleaning toilets and scrubbing floors to eke out the meagre (if any) state support that remains by the time you are old enough to get it, probably 70+
    - various illegal things
  • IMO buying property to rent is a pain and we're in the process of selling PP.

As it isn't your job you tend to forget about it generally and not concentrate on it, therefor bits get left, you spend premium family time painting walls and doing repairs, renters become a pain when they bunk off without paying the last two months rent yadda yadda yadda.

I do have another house but thats where the daughter lives so isn't remotely profit driven.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Annoying day today, work sprung on us a sudden need to re vet us the other week I chose to ignore this and now I'm being badgered to get it done. The fact that I work onsite at one bank yet cant log into the other bank because were stuck with a legacy and hacked about version of IE11 so nothing loads.

I now have to go home at lunch to get my birth certificate to prove I'm eligible to work in the UK. Not that the last 11 years working here would have confirmed it. Ironically I cant get my bank statements at work.
    I bank with where I work but cant use said internet banking because the corporate browser, is out of date...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    The corporate world eh, I have to be careful here cos I can search and get anything, worse than my home computer!

+1 for the Pension advice. Being in the the public sector I pay a small fortune however it is well matched, very well matched. The property thing is hard - second stamp duty (just about to pay an additional 9k because the Date owns a terrace in the back end of Lancashire). But get it right and it can work. Same luck plays with tenants.

However dob't think that buying a big property now and downsizing in later years will pay out a pension pot, it won't, well not unless it is a few million and you downsize by a huge amount. Project profit cane be ok if you are the builder and know your sums.

Started cleaning the bike at 1am this morning, Probably not my wisest play.
    Just a day of chasing my tail at work i think. Already eaten my lunch so may pop the shops. Skipping the Christmas party on Friday, vast expense for very little fun given the crowd (pleasant but hardly fun)
    Bought a new cycling helmet, not sure why, oh well Finished the Christmas shopping yesterday too. Paid for searches on the new digs and sent the building surveyor in.
    Did Arran hang around or he go searching for his colouring pencils?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    sungod wrote:

other options include...
    - buy property, rent it out, plan to sell it to fund retirement, get it right and/or be lucky and you can 'retire' very early and live off the income, this is not an easy option
    - hope something will save you from grim poverty cleaning toilets and scrubbing floors to eke out the meagre (if any) state support that remains by the time you are old enough to get it, probably 70+
    - various illegal things

I know these things really, it's just easy to put off until you are like my colleague who joined the company last year at 40 with no pension. Luckily he is a director on a shed load of cash and is saving something like 15%. I'm also too complacent because the company contribute 8% and I contribute nothing, last year I decided to contribute nothing because I was doing something that I can't remember now, this year I am finalising a mortgage so I'd rather wait to see what is affordable. I'm sure every year I'll have a reason I don't have enough money so I need to start somewhere, rather like most people's advice on having kids...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    sungod wrote:

other options include...
    - buy property, plan to sell it to fund retirement, get it right and/or be lucky and you can 'retire' very early and live off the income, and live somewhere hot n sunny

FTFY
    '
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    team47b wrote:
    sungod wrote:

other options include...
    - buy property, plan to sell it to fund retirement, get it right and/or be lucky and you can 'retire' very early and live off the income, and live somewhere hot n sunny

FTFY
    '
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    yes!
  • If I retired to some wine producing region I'd be ruined within a few years if I didn't escersise some self restraint.

Well, my liver might.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    If I retired to some wine producing region I'd be ruined within a few years if I didn't escersise some self restraint.

Well, my liver might.

financially ruined, or life ruined, as in dead? With the latter, what does it matter eh
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Financially, I refuse to drink the 1L cartons.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    Just discussed with a friend the idea of using the carbon fibre 3d printers here along with the use of graphene the potential of a new bike.
    Anyone want to test ride it?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    sungod wrote:

other options include...
    - various illegal things
    The other options appeal less. I also brighten up my January by submitting my tax return and getting a refund mainly due to extra the deduction from extra pension contributions.

Apart from that bit of a crap day and having to miss the free grog at the works Xmas party so having my own at home as I finish the last of my emails.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Flâneur wrote:
    Just discussed with a friend the idea of using the carbon fibre 3d printers here along with the use of graphene the potential of a new bike.
    Anyone want to test ride it?

Yes.

My pension starts with PPP, which has been updated on that thread so i'm not doubling up here.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    visited bikeradar offices, then road cc offices. The drove home. I hate driving.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    visited bikeradar offices, then road cc offices.

To complain?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    no compaints they wanted to see me and the things I brought along. The good thing is I left with less than I came with. Ordinarly that is a bad thing this time it is a good thing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    no compaints they wanted to see me and the things I brought along. The good thing is I left with less than I came with. Ordinarly that is a bad thing this time it is a good thing.

They took your dignity?
  • sungod
    i assumed it was crabs or something