Aldi Turbo trainer

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,398
Hi,

I've seen their turbo on offer in my local branch for £45ish. Is this a false economy, has anyone had one and able to supply any insight to it's quality?

Thanks

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You get what you pay for I guess
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    A clubmate brought one along to a turbo session and he melted the roller where it came into contact with the tyre so looks like a false economy
  • For a cheap as chips trainer I would go with the Tacx Blue Matic Smart £99 from Halfords. Manual resistance but can connect to your smartphone and computer.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    My local one was marking them down to £29. However read on the internet how bad it was for burning the roller out.
  • I once bought a cheap turbo, but from a reputable brand. Sure it did the job fine for a basic no frills setup although the resistance was a bit lacking and geeeesh it was loud! Spend more get something better otherwise you'll probably end up replacing it later down the track anyway (unless of course it could end up just collecting dust in the corner).

Buy cheap = buy twice.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    A clubmate brought one along to a turbo session and he melted the roller where it came into contact with the tyre so looks like a false economy

A mate of mine also had the same problem, he did not realise until he saw red plasticity particles all over his garage floor, and frame
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Thanks everyone, just read some of the reviews on Aldi's site too. Best avoided