Just spotted this Ansmann

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-RM7-0 ... Sw0fhXkNRJ

120mm travel rockshox
    radial mounted hydraulic brakes
    13.9kg (probs minus battery)
    7005 Allu frame
    Deore gears
    Motor has energy recovery system

Trouble is it's another acceptable but basic £500 XC/trail bike with a massive weight tied to the back wheel, and the price tag of a bloody good bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Spine protection is very worthwhile for downhill. I've broken my back and so have a surprising number of friends.
    Although you may not land on your back in a crash, downhill crashes are ofter very high speed so you will tumble and hit trees and rocks.
    Cwmcarn is a very high speed track and I know that more than a few people have had crashes there involving spinal injuries.
    The only protection I use these days is knee pads and a spine protector. I can accept broken arms and collar bones and even broken but I wouldn't risk a broken back again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    None of the bikes linked have been suitable for DH in any way, shape or form.

The reds at Cwmcarn are doable on anything though. But I still wouldn't want to ride them with a 5kg back wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Jesus! An e-bike for a 9 year old... I've heard it all now. Do you wipe his arsë for him as well? :-)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Jesus! An e-bike for a 9 year old... I've heard it all now. Do you wipe his arsë for him as well? :-)
    As Clarkson would say, 'It's all about the Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!'
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jesus! An e-bike for a 9 year old... I've heard it all now. Do you wipe his arsë for him as well? :-)

Thanks Angus, you are almost funny, actually he's currently 8, 9th birthday is this weekend :)

A 36v quad for 20 mth old seemed quite radical at the time when he should have been on 6 or 12v, but he absolutly loved it, a 50cc 2s quad with powerband for a 30mth old was even more radical but he absolutely loved it and learned quickly how to command it well. His 3rd was an suzuki lt80 sold just the other day cos we're moving, which he could easily do donuts and go round in circles on two wheels etc, and take his younger cousins out on the back.
    He gets alot of excercise at his boxing gym and playing football twice a week + dad practise. Plus a punchbag at home that gets used a lot. We all walk the dog together every day - An electric bike complimentary to our standard bikes sounds completely awesome to us and not alarming in anyway shape or form. Looking to get a set of family air rifles as well. The electric MB is much more versatile than the Oset 2.0 i have been consdering for some time now. But it will be a very long time before he can ride it on his own or on any tarmac.

Electric is seen with very different eyes when considering UK law for anything petrol powered, especially for us when powered toys are important weekend fun.

The future is most definately electric, the past is where a lot of people like to remain.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Thanks Angus, you are almost funny, actually he's currently 8, 9th birthday is this weekend :)

A 36v quad for 20 mth old seemed quite radical at the time when he should have been on 6 or 12v, but he absolutly loved it, a 50cc 2s quad with powerband for a 30mth old was even more radical but he absolutely loved it and learned quickly how to command it well. His 3rd was an suzuki lt80 sold just the other day cos we're moving, which he could easily do donuts and go round in circles on two wheels etc, and take his younger cousins out on the back.
    He gets alot of excercise at his boxing gym and playing football twice a week + dad practise. Plus a punchbag at home that gets used a lot. We all walk the dog together every day - An electric bike complimentary to our standard bikes sounds completely awesome to us and not alarming in anyway shape or form. Looking to get a set of family air rifles as well. The electric MB is much more versatile than the Oset 2.0 i have been consdering for some time now. But it will be a very long time before he can ride it on his own or on any tarmac.

Electric is seen with very different eyes when considering UK law for anything petrol powered, especially for us when powered toys are important weekend fun.

The future is most definitely electric, the past is where a lot of people like to remain.

Nothing in the least bit "alarming" about it. Just plain lazy. And why on earth buy mountain bikes when you clearly want motorbikes? I don't think you understand the point of a bicycle.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The future is most definitely NOT electric, as you can see by the number of replies, from the number of users!

I tried an eMTB as a demo to see what the fuss was about. It was fun but not what I would buy to use all the time. Rental for a weekend maybe, or for non-cycling friends to go for a blast somewhere like a Wales/Scotland type roadtrip of fun!

The whole point of biking for me is improvement in form, fitness or flow as constantly as possible. eMTB takes the climbs and sanitizes them, so any improvements in fitness are lost the next time on a bike without the motor as you've gained nothing really.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Just spotted this Ansmann

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-RM7-0 ... Sw0fhXkNRJ

120mm travel rockshox
    radial mounted hydraulic brakes
    13.9kg (probs minus battery)
    7005 Allu frame
    Deore gears
    Motor has energy recovery system

This is another cheap £550 bike, plus the weight quoted 13.9kg is without any of the conversion to electric.

To give you some idea how heavy this bike is my bike with 150mm of suspension on the front and 140mm on the back weighs 12.7kgs.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Everyone, its time to give up and let this thread die.

We have here a stupid brick wall, feel free to continue trying to communicate to it but it won't listen.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm wondering whether Cody has had kids.
  • cooldad
    I'm wondering whether Cody has had kids.

Xmas is a time for miracles.

But that's pushing it a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo wrote:

We have here a stupid brick wall, feel free to continue trying to communicate to it but it won't listen.

HI Briggo. your comments do confirm a lot

I wasnt asking for advice on whether to buy an electric bike or a traditional type of bike. I was asking for advice on which eMTB for a certain budget.
    In 3 pages of posts, i hardly got any relevant information. Riding a bike for us is about instant access family fun not fitness. And yes one user got it spot on - we are looking for something instead of petrol that gives similar buzz and gets the whole family involved - shame not many people on this site want to accept that and keep recommending traditional bicyles - Happy pedalling to those people!

Ebikers are obviously not welome here.

Thanks to those that did actually give sound advice on some of the bikes i shortlisted
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605

This thread is 3 pages long, it's not "that" obvious ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    There was plenty of relevant advice.
    Downhill e bikes do not exist within your budget. The e bikes which do exist in your budget will be completely unsuitable for Cwmcarn downhill and will be wrecked in no time.
    If you want e bikes which are up to the job, you'll need to triple your budget at least. Proper downhill or enduro bikes (without motors) start from £2500.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This what an electric bike for what you want it for looks like, problem is they cost about £5,500.

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2 ... 700-carbon
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • you don't need ebikes to give you a similer buzz at your age and definitely not at your sons age!!

advice on here is pretty spot on, you asked for help and they have given there opinion on what they think is the best and what they would do in your position.

hope you enjoy the bikes you buy and don't live to regret the advice given
  • Unfortunately brick wall is right. Advice on specific ebikes was given AND advice against them in general
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    your comments do confirm a lot

Yes, as confirmed by everyone else - I'm right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Briggo wrote:

HI Briggo. your comments do confirm a lot

I wasnt asking for advice on whether to buy an electric bike or a traditional type of bike. I was asking for advice on which eMTB for a certain budget.
    In 3 pages of posts, i hardly got any relevant information. Riding a bike for us is about instant access family fun not fitness. And yes one user got it spot on - we are looking for something instead of petrol that gives similar buzz and gets the whole family involved - shame not many people on this site want to accept that and keep recommending traditional bicyles - Happy pedalling to those people!

Thanks to those that did actually give sound advice on some of the bikes i shortlisted
    The issue is that at your budget you cannot get the bikes that you want, so you have a choice of an inferior e-bike that will be nowhere near as nice to ride on the downs and will need continuous maintenance (expence) to keep in trim, or a better normal bike that will cope downhill (with the extra £750 ish put into the bike) but need pedaling up.

Your other option is to buy some decent used bikes and convert them being aware that ground clearance will suffer with a mid drive conversions but at least the bike will work better than with a heavy clunky hub motor killing it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.