Cleats/Pedals/Shoes feeling

nevikte
nevikte Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in MTB beginners
Hey, I just switched from flat pedals to clipless (shimano PD-M520).
I'm using the giro rumble shoes (http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/cycling-shoes/rumble-5.html), which I was using with the flat pedals.

With the clipless pedal, every pedal stroke (pulling up) I feel the cleat pulling the shoe. Is that normal? or is just the consequence of the sole not being stiff enough? do you feel the cleat pulling on your shoes?

another thing I have noticed is that when I clip out, some of the rubber on the sides of the cleat is blocking the cleat. so I need to apply extra force to "bend" the rubber. is this again a shoe problem? is there a specific min length of the recess on good shoes to prevent the cleat hit the rubber? do you guys had problem like these?

thanks!

Comments

• Unfortunately, some shoes fit better with certain pedals. You need to find the perfect combo (unlikely and expensive), or at least one that works for you.
    There will be people on here that will recommend setups.
    Haven't used cleats for a couple of years now (dodgy knees), but the shimano shoe / shimano pedal works well together (surprise, surprise!)
    What I did find is that loosening the tension on the springs on the pedal helps you to remove your feet more easily until you get confident using them.
    And as for the feeling you are pulling - you need to tighten your shoes or work on your pedalling technique. There will be some slight pulling, but if you have a smooth pedalling style, that shouldn't be too noticeable.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Shimano is the de-facto standard for MTB clipless, its unusual for their pedals to cause issues with any shoes.

Perhaps a photo of the underside of the sole would help.

Feeling the cleat pulling the shoe means you are pulling up - either embrace it or stop!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    nevikte wrote:
    With the clipless pedal, every pedal stroke (pulling up) I feel the cleat pulling the shoe. Is that normal? or is just the consequence of the sole not being stiff enough? do you feel the cleat pulling on your shoes?

I'd say the above is more to do with your pedalling technique than anything else.

It may also be that the shoe is a little too big for your feet and therefore your getting movement in the upward stroke of each pedal.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    My experience with Shimano shoes (two types) on Shimano pedals (also two types)is that I get no feeling of cleats through the shoes, just the feeling that my shoe is attached to the pedal so I can pull with impunity (usually only when out of the saddle).

Also I can clip out easily, even though both shoe types have MTB soles with tread blocks. I run the cleats right at their inner extremities too.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    figbat wrote:
    My experience with Shimano shoes (two types) on Shimano pedals (also two types)is that I get no feeling of cleats through the shoes, just the feeling that my shoe is attached to the pedal so I can pull with impunity (usually only when out of the saddle).

Also I can clip out easily, even though both shoe types have MTB soles with tread blocks. I run the cleats right at their inner extremities too.

I have trouble understanding you.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    nevikte wrote:
    Hey, I just switched from flat pedals to clipless (shimano PD-M520).
    I'm using the giro rumble shoes (http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/cycling-shoes/rumble-5.html), which I was using with the flat pedals.

another thing I have noticed is that when I clip out, some of the rubber on the sides of the cleat is blocking the cleat. so I need to apply extra force to "bend" the rubber. is this again a shoe problem? is there a specific min length of the recess on good shoes to prevent the cleat hit the rubber? do you guys had problem like these?

thanks!

Like one said if you think the shoe is pulling on you on the up then it is normal. If you don't want the cleat to pull then change the way you pedal with them but they are supposed to pull on the pedal while you pull up and hence the cleat pulls on the shoe.

With regards to your problem clipping out I can only think the shoe is designed incorrectly because I've had many shimano clipless shoes and none has contact with the rubber on the sides of the cleat. Of course unless you are doing it all wrong.

You supposed to step the shoe onto the pedal directly (hence you shouldn't have touched the rubber at all) and then you twist your shoe when you want to clip out (shouldn't touch the rubber either). So if you are touching rubber it means you are trying to slide the shoe in and out from the side?!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You shouldn't really be pulling up on the pedals (except on nasty hills).

Try changing the cleats to the multi-release type (they have an 'M' stamped in to the cleat). They allow you to disengage by twisting out and upwards. These are easy to use and may eliminate the rubber-against-cleat problem you are having.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009