Help! Training wheel making grinding noise.

JBreezey
JBreezey Posts: 5
Recently bought a training wheel to use on my TacX Vortex indoor trainer. I needed something easier than swapping an indoor trainer tyre for my one I use out on the roads.

The training wheel has an 8 speed cassette (same as my normal wheel) with just a slightly different ratio.

After attaching the wheel to the bike and going for a ride on zwift... I noticed that there was a grinding noise as soon as I start pedalling from what I believe to be the sprockets/ jockey wheels.

Ive made sure the chain was clean and suitably lubricated and it never makes a grinding noise on my usual wheel. But I still can't seem to figure out how to correct it.

Can anyone help?

Outdoor wheel: Giant SR-4 700c, 11-32t
Indoor wheel: Weinmann rim 700c, 11-25t

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Kneel down behind the bike and see if the rear mech is lining up with the sprockets ? Must be out of synch slightly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Likely that the sprockets on the trainer wheel aren't aligned identically to those on the road wheel (different hub, freehub, spacers etc)

So you'll need to fine tune the gears using the barrel adjuster on the rear mech each time you swap wheels.

It's not difficult, and once you've done it a couple of times you'll likely remember how many turns and which way.

Google 'indexing rear derailleur' for videos on YouTube showing you how to do it
  • Thanks for the responses.

Would I also need to adjust the limiter screws on the rear mech if it's not quite aligned?
  • keef66
    Hopefully you won't need to mess with the limit screws; that would be a royal pain in the @rse doing that every time. But you do need to be sure it's not possible to overshift and throw the chain over the back of the biggest sprocket and into the spokes
  • keef66 wrote:
    Hopefully you won't need to mess with the limit screws; that would be a royal pain in the @rse doing that every time. But you do need to be sure it's not possible to overshift and throw the chain over the back of the biggest sprocket and into the spokes

Well I've tried the barrel adjuster and I've checked the alignment of the rear mech... neither seem to be the issue!

I think it's highlighted now though that it's the chain... it's almost like it's really not sitting comfortably in the cassette as that's when the grinding noise comes from - when each link disengages with the sprocket
  • keef66
    You don't by any chance have a Shimano cassette on one wheel and Campag on the other do you??
  • keef66 wrote:
    You don't by any chance have a Shimano cassette on one wheel and Campag on the other do you??

The groupset is shimano Claris... although I do believe it's a sram cassette... and the training wheel has a sunrace cassette, which I'm sure said was compatible with shimano
  • keef66
    JBreezey wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

The groupset is shimano Claris... although I do believe it's a sram cassette... and the training wheel has a sunrace cassette, which I'm sure said was compatible with shimano

Not that then!