winter bike

theraggyone
theraggyone Posts: 147
edited December 2016 in Your road bikes
Decided I needed a bike for family rides, commuting and winter so I decided to look secondhand for a project as I didnt want to spend much as already have a best bike.

Found this on Gumtree, a guy on the American airbase was selling it. its a steel framed nashbar cyclocross bike with carbon fork and 9 speed sora in the end I brought it for £130:-D

DSC_2149_1.jpg

Spent a further £120 on parts, recabled the brakes and gears swapping the brakes round as they were run backwards, changed the cantilever tektro oyrx brakes for tektro CR720s, changed the bottom bracket and chainset for a rival set I had lying about, fitted a new chain and 11-32 cassette, new tyres and unfortunately needed mudguards on this bike due to its intended purpose ( much prefer it without the guards in cyclocross mode but its ment to be practical can always remove them when I take it off road), also added new bar tape and an old prologo saddle I had in my parts bin.

I gave it a massive clean down as well and regreased everything. im really pleased with how its turned out for £250 all in. Its no lightweight but its really comfortable and I think it looks ace for the money.

Now I dont have to worry about using my racebike in winter, I can take the kids on bike rides including mild trails etc and im not going to be worried about it when its wet. All in all a good find I think :-D

DSC_2188.jpg

DSC_2183.jpg

and in cyclocross mode with finished decals applied, ready to ride this weekend

DSC_2213.jpg

DSC_2216.jpg

DSC_2217.jpg

Comments