When is a rucksack not a backpack ?

Davebo777
Davebo777 Posts: 44
edited December 2016 in Road general
I've spent hours poring over Google looking for a rucksack to use when touring. But I don't want to wear it on the bike as a backpack. I want to be able to carry it off the bike as a backpack.

I'll be using panniers but want extra storage. I've had bad experiences of straps dangling and getting caught so ideally something where you can stash the harness or deal with them somehow.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks, DBo.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You want to wear it on the bike as a skirt? Or a gerbil?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Wear it on the front, in a 'reserve chute' stylee..?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,669
    How about storing a rucksack in a pannier when cycling, and vice versa off the bike.

No room for more than a pair of pants, but those are good for 4 days, right?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    My daughter has a pannier that converts into a rucksack (or maybe it's the other way round....).

I think it's made by Ortlieb.

Not my cup of tea, which is anyway coffee, but she says it is a handy item.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I think Altura make a convertible pannier/backpack thing as well. Or get one of those bags that you can attach to the top of a rack
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Davebo777 wrote:
    I've spent hours poring over Google looking for a rucksack to use when touring. But I don't want to wear it on the bike as a backpack. I want to be able to carry it off the bike as a backpack.

I'll be using panniers but want extra storage. I've had bad experiences of straps dangling and getting caught so ideally something where you can stash the harness or deal with them somehow.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks, DBo.

Either tape the straps up so you don't look like a crow or get a waterproof cover to put it in when it's not on your back.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sounds the easiest option. Rucksack on the top of the pannier with a binbag or something over it.

Check out the alpkit gourdon range - drybags that you can use as a backpack. You can cinch the shoulder straps down so there wont be much dangling there. The waist stra you can tie up or something. Cheap and efficient.
  • Matthewfalle
    Fenix wrote:
    Sounds the easiest option. Rucksack on the top of the pannier with a binbag or something over it.

Check out the alpkit gourdon range - drybags that you can use as a backpack. You can cinch the shoulder straps down so there wont be much dangling there. The waist stra you can tie up or something. Cheap and efficient.

This - I have a big waterproof sailing bag that holds my work Bergman easily for cutting around civvie airports etc - has back straps, etc so you could get a smaller one and use that over your backpack/rucksack/school bag/whatever.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ... or get a waterproof cover to put it in when it's not on your back.

Now why didn't I think of that. any old 5p carrier bag would probably do the trick. Thanks.

I have managed to get my local cycle / motor chain to ship a Vaude Silkroad (Large) from another branch. I'll see if that does the trick rather than a rucksack. It's not for me so if it looks a bit naff I'm not that bothered. :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Davebo777 wrote:
    ... or get a waterproof cover to put it in when it's not on your back.

Now why didn't I think of that. any old 5p carrier bag would probably do the trick. Thanks.

I have managed to get my local cycle / motor chain to ship a Vaude Silkroad (Large) from another branch. I'll see if that does the trick rather than a rucksack. It's not for me so if it looks a bit naff I'm not that bothered. :-)

In which case you'll be wanting a rubble sack - much thicker so won't tear like a carrier bag, bigger but not as big as a bin bag.

Couple of pounds for 12 at B&Q.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.