Replacement FR bike

Dockers90
Dockers90 Posts: 6
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Ok so I broke my Marine Quake in Les Gets and need a replacement and I'd like recommendations for what frame to go for.

I'm not the tallest, about 5'7" and not particularly big so I'd like something similar to the Marin. Small frame, 180 mm travel and able to take single and dual crown forks. This seems to a be a difficult category for new(ish) frames as they're either full DH builds or shorter enduro bikes. Suggestions please, tell me what's about and I'll work out which I can afford.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No one makes freeride bikes any more. The latest generation of 160mm enduro bikes are more capable than your Marin for freeride and a sh1t ton lighter.
    Take a look at the Giant Reign, Specialized Enduro, Transition Patrol or Orange Alpine.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    No one makes freeride bikes any more.

scott voltage FR
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Dockers90 wrote:
    Ok so I broke my Marine Quake in Les Gets ...
    Was this yours...
    p3pb2515748.jpg
    :shock:

I know it wasn't, but still... :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Despite weighing as much as an aircraft carrier the Quake wasn't particularly strong.
    There are still a couple freeride bikes in production but they're very old models now and a bit pointless when enduro bikes are just as capable but a lot lighter.
  • Despite weighing as much as an aircraft carrier the Quake wasn't particularly strong.
    There are still a couple freeride bikes in production but they're very old models now and a bit pointless when enduro bikes are just as capable but a lot lighter.

It might have been heavy but for some reason it fitted me and my riding perfectly, problem is finding another small frame that's in decent condition. Hence the question of what else to consider.

I'd be against an enduro frame as I'd like to be able to use my Fox 40s on it and prefer the slightly slacker riding position over a trail bike.
  • doomanic wrote:
    Dockers90 wrote:
    Ok so I broke my Marine Quake in Les Gets ...
    Was this yours...
    p3pb2515748.jpg
    :shock:

I know it wasn't, but still... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not mine, it's was bright green and went at the front shock mount which is very unusual for a Marin, usually it's the headtube.
  • rockmonkeysc
    So what you really want is a downhill bike then?
    Nukeproof Scalp is an awesome frame and absolutely bombproof. Cheap as well.
  • So what you really want is a downhill bike then?
    Nukeproof Scalp is an awesome frame and absolutely bombproof. Cheap as well.

Full downhill bikes don't always take 180 mm single crown forks too well. The Voltage FR is basically what I want but I wanted to know if I was missing anything.

At 5'7" I'm not blessed with height hence the small Quake was such a good fit for me, even on downhill courses.

I've ridden all the dh frames my brother has owned (plus side of having a twin) and none have felt as good as my Marine did. This includes Foes DHS 2:1, Demo 9, Lapierre 922 and his current V10 carbon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    So you've ridden some pretty bad DH bikes.
    Most dual crown forks are the same length as 180mm single crowns so anything which takes a 200 mm fork will ride the same with a 180mm fork.
    The Quake is a very old fashioned frame, there's nothing like that been made for years (with good reason)
    I had a Quake on loan for six months from a shop. It went back unmarked because I only rode it a few times. Terrible bike.
  • So you've ridden some pretty bad DH bikes.
    Most dual crown forks are the same length as 180mm single crowns so anything which takes a 200 mm fork will ride the same with a 180mm fork.
    The Quake is a very old fashioned frame, there's nothing like that been made for years (with good reason)
    I had a Quake on loan for six months from a shop. It went back unmarked because I only rode it a few times. Terrible bike.

I had my Quake 5 years and loved it, had a set of 66 for trails and the 40s for the Alps and it was just good fun all the time. I've heard a few people describe Marin as bikes people either love or hate and rarely a middle ground.

If they still made it I'd have one tomorrow