Visual Awareness of Cyclists

JamesVaughan007
JamesVaughan007 Posts: 16
edited December 2016 in Commuting general
Hello Biking World,

I am a high school student who is working on an engineering project to fix the problem of visual awareness and safety of bikers. I compiled a list of questions that are related to the issue in order to give me a statistical analysis of how to solve my problem. The link to the survey is below. Thank You.

https://docs.google.com/a/k12.friscoisd ... w/viewform

Sincerely,

James

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Completed, and congratulations on a much better survey than the average of the ones we see on here.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    Can't complete it, it requires me to login with something.
  • Do you think the weather, season, and time of year contribute to this problem?
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Do you think the weather, season, and time of year contribute to this problem?

Absolutely it does. In a commuting forum you will find a large percentage of people commute to work between 7am and 9am, then home from work between 4pm and 6pm. Myself included in those times. Usually around the time the clocks change (in the UK) I switch between having my lights on my bike or taken off my bike. This is what my old bike looked like with its winter lights on
    4e09df921648c038b9c20f75022ee8a1_zps04d1cb34.jpg
    874d1a4c542e9303c7f51a54e8c62357_zpsd1146c3f.jpg
    New one has the same setup. A pair of cree-led Chinese ebay flashlights, pointed down, on low power for street light lit roads, and full power for unlit roads. A cateye 5led rear light for the seatpost and a pair of fibre flare lights for the seat stays, plus I have a couple of little single LED flashers on top of my helmet.

I the photo I had spoke reflectors on, but I would only put them on in the winter, but with the roads being wet they ended up covered in road dirt which stopped them working. I figure lights are always better than reflectors.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Can't complete it, it requires me to login with something.
    I

As above