TJ Sport/Lampre

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Shame... hope something comes together and the riders and staff aren't left high and dry.

Interesting point that this is basically a China state team:
    TJ Sport is an investment group created by China’s sports ministry to promote cycling at home

So trust we'll bring the human rights pitch forks out for these guys as well, given that China's HR record is atrocious.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
    Team Crush political dissidents.
  • Seems to happen far too regularly in cycling. People see $$ signs and forget the basics of due diligence. Hopefully this won't be the case but it doesn't look good.

Considering cycling is apparently 'the new golf' and is going through a boom, there are an awful lot of financial problems. The UK especially seems to have been hit with teams and races falling by the wayside and 'pro' riders riding for free.
  • Plenty of historical evidence that concerns you about this one.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited December 2016
    dish_dash wrote:
    Shame... hope something comes together and the riders and staff aren't left high and dry.

TJ Sport is an investment group created by China’s sports ministry to promote cycling at home

So trust we'll bring the human rights pitch forks out for these guys as well, given that China's HR record is atrocious.

You called, Captain Peacock? I'm free...
  • Seems to happen far too regularly in cycling. People see $$ signs and forget the basics of due diligence. Hopefully this won't be the case but it doesn't look good.

Considering cycling is apparently 'the new golf' and is going through a boom, there are an awful lot of financial problems. The UK especially seems to have been hit with teams and races falling by the wayside and 'pro' riders riding for free.

Paying even selective UK domestic riders £40-50k wasnt sustainable (NFTO, I'm looking at you...)
  • Back to TJ Sport...so Pegasus - the remake?

And Pegasus was the latest Sony Ericsson..... and so on....

yeah, this story is old, fer shure
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Back to TJ Sport...so Pegasus - the remake?

Except Sony Ericsson was an impostor pretending to be part of the company.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Also cf Julian Clark pretending Jaguar were sponsoring the Linda McCartney team, and Jacob's Creek were signed up for more than just the TDU...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

You called, Captain Peacock? I'm free...

Sorry, my head hurts this morning and I have no idea what this means...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited December 2016
    dish_dash wrote:

While it is far from an ideal situation, don't the Bahrain complaints go beyond the country itself in that it's the specific person backing the team that is linked to torture.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

While it is far from and ideal situation, don't the Bahrain complaints go beyond the country itself in that it's the specific person backing the team that is linked to torture.

I think this is the crux of it for me. Promoting cycling at home, even if home has lots of human rights issues is a lot different to sportswashing by an individual that is actively involved in repression, IMO.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • dish_dash
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

While it is far from and ideal situation, don't the Bahrain complaints go beyond the country itself in that it's the specific person backing the team that is linked to torture.

I think this is the crux of it for me. Promoting cycling at home, even if home has lots of human rights issues is a lot different to sportswashing by an individual that is actively involved in repression, IMO.

Why? Human rights oppression is human rights oppression. The Chinese state has killed multiple people and continues to suppress human rights...

I don't get the sportwash allegation. If anything the Bahrain team sponsorship has brought more attention to the human rights situation in the country and allegations against Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa, non?
  • rick_chasey
    This reminds me of that recent chat a republican running for secretary of state had with a journalist.

CzHjJ3HWQAATvs9.jpg
    CzHjK_IWQAAroPb.jpg

Totally OT but anyway.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Apparently a TJ Sports person has been interviewed by Chinese media. Says they will drop down to Pro Conti, Meintjes will go to Dimension, Costa to Katusha
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I wonder what will happen to Ben Swift....
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Also Ulissi and Conti?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Flasher wrote:
    I wonder what will happen to Ben Swift....

He'll come third in races on some other team. :P
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Wow. That unravelled quickly.
  • dish_dash
    UAE sponsors apparently stepping into the breach and look to be giving the team enough dosh to keep them in the WT. With 8-9m euros they'll be the poorest there according to CN.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    UAE sponsors apparently stepping into the breach and look to be giving the team enough dosh to keep them in the WT. With 8-9m euros they'll be the poorest there according to CN.

'pourest' if the source is CN
  • Aliexpress

Or did I dream that.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    News just released that the team has been renamed UAE Abu Dhabi and granted a WT license.
  • dish_dash
    Catchy name... glad that the riders and team still have jobs.

Chinese promises ain't all they are stacked up to be eh? At least in the Abu Dhabi most of the leadership went to Sandhurst...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    dish_dash wrote:
    Catchy name... glad that the riders and team still have jobs.

Chinese promises ain't all they are stacked up to be eh? At least in the Abu Dhabi most of the leadership went to Sandhurst...

Chapeau.
  • dish_dash
    Now that this team has turned into UAE-Abu Dabhi can we take a moment to register that Lampre are now gone from the pro-peloton. They'd been there since 1990, livening up the peloton with their pink and blue colours...

epa03665845-lampre-merida-team-rider-damiano-cunego-l-of-italy-in-D6MMMK.jpg

liege-bastogne-liege-oscar-camenzind-lampre-vinder-loebet-foran-og-picture-id503962405?s=594x594

2001-Simoni-in-azione-solit.jpg

bettiniphoto_0079881_1_full_490.jpg

lampre%20groessen.jpg?crc=4164371302

cuneg-U201298769172paE-187x135@Gazzetta-Print-Nazionale-004-kvdH-U90634209458N7H-620x349@Gazzetta-Web_articolo.jpg?v=201410031802

CUNEGO.jpg

110714-Tour-12%5Et-Cunego-salita.jpg

ballan-lampre-cunego.jpg

209237-750x410.jpg

lampre-pozzato-fiandre-580x300.jpg

jose_serpa.jpg

cunego-milan.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Missed probably their biggest win. (apart from the Simoni Giro, obvs)

italian-alessandro-ballan-leads-the-pack-during-the-the-91st-tour-of-picture-id73840184

(question, which perennial loser did Ballan beat in the 2 up sprint?)
  • dish_dash
    yeah, true, I was distracted by their Liege win...