New Bike Choices

vrsmatt
vrsmatt Posts: 160
edited December 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi all

Currently ride road and MTB but am looking at cx bikes for this winter, something ive always wanted to try and as mtbs are becoming less and less useable IMO for a cross country, bridleway, forrest thrash and more trail centre focussed ( well mine is ) I really fancy a cx bike for those days where I just want to go ride where i like and reinvent some of my local trails/roads for myself.

I've had a cursory look round and have looked in detail at a Boardman Team and Giant TCX SLR 2, so i,m looking around the £900-£1100 mark.

Any recommendations? I'm torn between a single/double chainset and i really want hydro discs
Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Planet X XLS complete builds offer really good value at the moment and available in various double/single groupset setups.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Couldn't agree with you about the way MTB's are going having ridden them for over 30 years the choice gets wider every day.

But as someone who uses his CX for all the things you've mentioned and more I bought a Boardman CX Team, I've changed the wheels for tubeless, plus they are 23.5 internal width, changed the tyres to WTB nano's 40mm, they come up to 42mm on my rims and changed the 44t chainring for a 38t, plus the saddle to my preference.

As trek_dan says Planet X is probably the way to go, though my Boardman as it has a long TT and I've changed the stem to a 60mm it goes downhill offroad better than most.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • If you fancy putting it together yourself, On One / Planet X are doing build it yourself deals on the On One Pickenflick for £999 and the Planet XLS for £799 ... Titanium or carbon, with hydro (I think!) for under a grand so long as you have a few tools! Just wish my current income wasn't earmarked for house renovations and DIY ... :cry:
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Pickenflick for a grand is an absolute bargin! Wish the geometry worked for me :(
  • vrsmatt
    joey54321 wrote:
    Pickenflick for a grand is an absolute bargin! Wish the geometry worked for me :(

Looks decent, whats the problem geometry wise?
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • vrsmatt
    Cant see the £1k deal though?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    For me its about 2cm too short and 3.5cm to tall in in the head tube, if I go up a size to where the reach is almost right then its over 5cm taller than my current setup.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This one http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUBOOPICA ... cial-build)?utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On-One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=26e2c8e0f6-041216&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-26e2c8e0f6-273379981&mc_cid=26e2c8e0f6&mc_eid=0eff19e1fa
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"