Old Turbo Trainer problems

cld531c
cld531c Posts: 517
I have an old turbo trainer (Ive had it probably 15 years and it was elderly when I got it) that appears to have lost all resistance.
It is the type where the front forks attach to a sticky up bit (technical term!) with an adjustable roller under the bottom bracket. Unless I crank the resistance up so the tyre is heavily (circa 1-1.5cm) flattened the resistance is rubbish. Will I damage the bike/wheels over tightening and does any one have any ideas what else I could do?
Or if all else fails a cheap alternative (no need for a smart one as wifi doesnt reach garage)?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• £99 cheap enough ? http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-t ... bo-trainer

It's a smart(ish) trainer, doesn't adjust gradient but will report power etc. Yeah you might not have internets but that will show your power output etc which you can use with your phone.
  • cld531c
    Thanks- that looks good - have you used this one?
    Looking for one that will go up to a decent resistance if I ever get as good in reality as I am on the skewed output from the current one!
  • cld531c wrote:
    Looking for one that will go up to a decent resistance if I ever get as good in reality as I am on the skewed output from the current one!

I used the old non smart version of it, it was ok :)
  • cld531c
    cld531c wrote:

I used the old non smart version of it, it was ok :)

Cheers