Lock on grips won't lock on

Veddy
Veddy Posts: 29
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a pair of ODI Elite Pro grips (lock on, single clamp). They fit well around the bar and aren't loose. However, the clamp doesn't clamp down enough when I screw in the screw and it still twists and can be taken off.
Please help
Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Some bars can have a slightly smaller than expected outside diameter. I had a bar from Decathlon which had this issue. My fix was to use some carbon assembly paste - It's designed to stop components slipping when the fastening torque is lower, so works well for this problem.
  • Veddy
    whyamihere wrote:
    Some bars can have a slightly smaller than expected outside diameter. I had a bar from Decathlon which had this issue. My fix was to use some carbon assembly paste - It's designed to stop components slipping when the fastening torque is lower, so works well for this problem.
    Thanks for the reply. The information helps a lot to explain why it's happening. As I don't have any of the carbon assembaly paste, do you think putting a layer of tape on the handlebars and fitting the grips over them will work?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've never yet had a set of grips that won't clamp onto alloy bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I would think a bit of tape would work, no harm in trying.
  • Veddy
    The tape worked like a charm. Still a bit annoyed that they didn't clamp off the bat but what can you do. Thanks guys.