Quick pedal question

haydenm
haydenm Posts: 2,997
edited December 2016 in Cyclocross
Never posted in this section before but here goes, this is one sort of riding that I have no experience of but I've just put some cheap cx tyres on the Genesis equilibrium. I run road cleats on the other road bikes and flat pedals on the mountain bikes. I'm not especially keen on buying another set of pedals/shoes for now so would you stick some flat pedals on there or go with the road cleats?

I wont be racing anytime soon, it'll mainly be used for forest roads and tracks (and possibly the odd terrible scottish winter road surface). Ideally I'd like to get some mtb shoes and cleats suitable for enduro racing on one of my other bikes (overkill on a cx bike?) which I could swap onto here but funds are tight with other things going on at the moment. I'm tempted to go road cleats but being one of the few enduro racers on flat pedals it's not a prospect that excites me! The road cleats should suit what I'll be doing but I'll no doubt get carried away and ride some more tech stuff along the way

15320418_10154533036740659_429797332_n.jpg?oh=3bcd402d403a2be6d3dc6f48b4432db4&oe=5843E6A5

Are there any other simple mods I could do to make my riding more pleasant? Any major faux pas to avoid? :wink:

Much appreciated

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Looks like you won't boll*ck yourself on the top tube if you dismount suddenly ?

Road pedals will be fine if you're not putting your feet down. If you are then you'll knack the cleats pretty quickly and fall over a lot more if you have to walk in them.

As you say - depends how technical you get.
  • haydenm
    I'm very short so I often have issue with top tubes...

Is there much difference between an enduro/dh mtb setup and what you might use for cx? I might be able to justify it to the Mrs if it's phrased in the right way
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Cleat system no, most people use SPD pedals and XC MTB style shoes with football boot studs in the front for running uphills in the mud. If your not planing on racing I don't see why a set of 5-10s or similar 'Enduro' shoe wouldn't do the job.
  • haydenm
    Ah I see, I'll probably get an 'enduro' style setup for versatility then. Maybe racing at somepoint would be entertaining