Overshoes

trago1987
trago1987 Posts: 14
edited December 2016 in Commuting chat
Sorry if this has been talked about before but I really can't decide on some overshoes. You think you find a pair you like and then all the reviews are mixed and sounds like half of the left foot ones wear away on the crank arm. I normally just man up and take the rain but wet feet is getting to me now. Any recommendations would be much appreciated

Comments

• these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-open-sole-neoprene-overshoes/

Bought a pair in Feb and still going strong. Yes they're a bit knacked around the edges, but feet stay warm(ish) enough and dry. Hi-viz works as does the reflective bits next to the zip. Highly recommended.

Additionally I wear with a pair of SPD cross shoes with studs in - it helps keep in place and stops too much wear on the nose - at the expense of two holes in the kevlar bit.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't spend a lot. They all wear away. This is why we don't have fabric soled shoes.

Check out planet x for some decent cheap overshoes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 to the Planet X suggestion. I have a pair of their cheap and cheerful £10 neoprene jobbies and they must be 5 years old now. Keep off the worst of the muck and when paired with Woolie Boolie socks keep my feet toasty warm.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have a pair of BBB 'Heavy Duty' overshoes that are on their 3rd winter this year. The front toe piece on both has small holes but they work great and keep my feet warm and dry in light rain but will eventually get wet and soak through after prolonged wet use (2.5hrs+) If I get through this winter with them I'll most likely buy another pair for next winter.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    BBB heavy duty and Planet X ones here, take ages to dry out so I rotate them. BBBs used to be no1 but then I wrecked the bottoms of them with a 3 mile walk courtesy of more glass than inner tubes.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I just use DHB toe covers.
  • Just bought a pair of Gore overshoes and I love them. However, they are brand new, so cannot comment on wear and tear.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    MugenSi wrote:
    I have a pair of BBB 'Heavy Duty' overshoes that are on their 3rd winter this year. The front toe piece on both has small holes but they work great and keep my feet warm and dry in light rain but will eventually get wet and soak through after prolonged wet use (2.5hrs+) If I get through this winter with them I'll most likely buy another pair for next winter.

I have these too, awesome overshoes.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Overshoes are consumables, as people have stated above. My revelation this morning is thermal socks. What a difference!
  • Cheers for all the replies, i have thermal socks which are really good and going to have a look at some of the options you guys have suggested. Cheers again
    Happy cycling