Eric Bristow

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited December 2016 in The cake stop
what a to$$er, disgraceful comments re the abused youth footballers
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Taking the Donald Trump approach to serious subjects, idiot
    Bristow, who was made an MBE in 1989, suggested that darts players were "tough guys" and footballers "wimps".

He added the victims should not be able to look themselves in the mirror for not "getting their own back" on their abusers in adulthood.

In addition to his comments on sex abuse victims, Bristow caused anger by conflating paedophiles with homosexuals in a tweet that read: "Might be a loony but if some football coach was touching me when I was a kid, as I got older I would have went back and sorted that poof out."
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Completely unacceptable, aside from his main point he refers to a paedophile as a 'poof'. I'd sack him for writing tweets like a child also
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Side show, the FA allowed this abuse to happen on their watch, SKY should stop showing football based on the sacking of that ignoramus Bristow.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    KNOB !!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    'Tough darts players' yeh, right :roll:

I can't recall hearing of anyone sorting out their abusers in later life, have there been any known cases?

The older I get, the better I was.

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Capt Slog wrote:

I can't recall hearing of anyone sorting out their abusers in later life, have there been any known cases?

Over in the States, there was a dad who shot the man accused of abusing his daughter as he was being brought in by plane for trial. It happened on live TV, and the suspect was surrounded by cops. All in all, he planned it perfectly, managed to get in really close and then killed him with one shot to the head without the police being able to stop him. I think it's on youtube.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Tough guy though those pints don't lift themselves... and you have to be a real man to wear a polyester shirt and carry it off with a mullet... :)
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Brian Moore was abused as a child and played front row for England and The Lions. There won't be many abuse survivors "tougher" than Moore and he didn't "get his own back" - it would be interesting to see what he says regarding the idiot Bristow's comments.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Tough guy though those pints don't lift themselves... and you have to be a real man to wear a polyester shirt and carry it off with a mullet... :)

I can never think of darts without thinking of this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgap_CzceBM

If I remember correctly, this "Alas Smith and Jones" sketch was responsible for darts losing it's TV sponsorship/coverage in the 80's. In the old days the players used to be drinking when not on the 'oche', I think that's stopped now.

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Capt Slog wrote:

Would take some major cojones.

There is a US comic Andy Andrist who, backed up by Doug Stanhope, sought out, confronted, videoed and forced a confession from a childhood abuser.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/01/0 ... ame_abuser

Whether it has given him any benefit, or closure say in current-speak, guess only he can say.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Whilst what he's said is ignorant in the extreme I think I've seen more reaction on social media to his comments than I have to the actual abuse that has gone on and the way that clubs knew and didn't do enough to make sure it stopped. Rangers fans have a little song Big Jock Knew referring to Jock Stein doing nothing about sexual abuse that went on at Celtic - I've actually read condemnation of them for singing that ffs - I mean OK their motive is just to p iss off their opposing fans but if he knew and did naff all then we should all be singing it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Whilst what he's said is ignorant in the extreme I think I've seen more reaction on social media to his comments than I have to the actual abuse that has gone on and the way that clubs knew and didn't do enough to make sure it stopped. Rangers fans have a little song Big Jock Knew referring to Jock Stein doing nothing about sexual abuse that went on at Celtic - I've actually read condemnation of them for singing that ffs - I mean OK their motive is just to p iss off their opposing fans but if he knew and did naff all then we should all be singing it.

Apparently Jock Stein literally kicked Torbett out, but he and the club ensured that the abuse was covered up to save the image of the club.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I work with a guy who's beaten him at darts. What a f@nny, losing to a pub player.
  • It's a big can of worms that's been waiting to be opened for a long time and much like Savile now it's opened there will be a lot of people "bobbing it". Let's hope perpatrators and those complicit in the abuse all get their just desserts.

As for Bristow, his comments are beyond the pale and losing his job is a small price to pay.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Fear you may be right Frank.
    Chelsea implicated in a cover up now.
  • haydenm
    I'm quite surprised it has taken this long for anything to come out to be honest. Loads of other organisations have been investigated such as Churches, scout groups, boarding schools etc, is football any different? I'd imagine a huge number of children have been put at risk over the years
  • It must be hard for some who have buried this sort of abuse, it is everywhere now a days, people deal with trauma differently and maybe some would just prefer to move on and get on with life?

bristow is only repeating what many people think who never been abused, its the control the person has over their victim, it is all encompassing.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    HaydenM wrote:
    I'm quite surprised it has taken this long for anything to come out to be honest. Loads of other organisations have been investigated such as Churches, scout groups, boarding schools etc, is football any different? I'd imagine a huge number of children have been put at risk over the years

Maybe, the difference is the money involved in football; same with Entertainment (Savile etc) to some degree I guess.
  • haydenm
    joe2008 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Maybe, the difference is the money involved in football; same with Entertainment (Savile etc) to some degree I guess.

Good point. From the report on the radio this morning they've had nearly 900 calls since the hotline opened, I bet there are a few ex football coaches not sleeping well this week. It always surprises me that people think they can get away with abusing kids but obviously they do because of the impact they have on their victims (correct me if I'm wrong), hence why it's so important for people to come forward in the press in this situation
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Lookyhere wrote:
    It must be hard for some who have buried this sort of abuse, it is everywhere now a days, people deal with trauma differently and maybe some would just prefer to move on and get on with life?

bristow is only repeating what many people think who never been abused, its the control the person has over their victim, it is all encompassing.

Yes it's normal to speculate on why more don't extract some kind of revenge but when you think about it it's not surprising really. Most people don't want to risk a custodial sentence, most have a block which would stop them inflicting severe violence in cold blood, most realise that doing so probably wouldn't bring them release from the damage done by the abuse.

So the only real option is to report it to police and that requires talking about something which may be your inner most secret, something you feel a sense of inner shame about. I bet most if not all of us have things in our lives we wouldn't find it easy to talk about which are probably less damaging than sexual abuse as a child .

I'm sure if Bristow sat down and thought about it he'd realise how stupid his tweets were - I suspect one ill considered tweet and then he's dug a hole trying to defend it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bristow looks like a man who has a few skeletons.