Tour de celeb

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited December 2016 in Road beginners
an TV last night, a lot better than I expected, quiet enjoyed it. Capture beginners as well as intermediate cycling very well
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    The hyperbole was in full swing and I was thinking, nah mate that's being way too dramatic.

But the coaches seem to be ace, and some of the contestants are really trying. It was good background tv while I cooked dinner.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Some of it, you had to wonder about, like Louis took a wrong turn and yet the cameraman is waiting on the other side of the ford for him to ride through?

That said it was actually quite good, although I remember a very similar programme that aired just before the 2014 Tour de France came to Yorkshire following a set of celebrities setting out to do the route of Stage 1.
  • bianchimoon
    for all the beginners wondering whether to go clipless, or have had clipless moments watch the prog, you'll feel better :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I thought what we saw of the coaching was a bit pants. Angelica had her helmet on badly and not much advice on clipless pedals.

Maybe it was in the edit.
  • bianchimoon
    cougie wrote:
    I thought what we saw of the coaching was a bit pants. Angelica had her helmet on badly and not much advice on clipless pedals.

Probably, i'm sure they covered there R's as much as possible with training and advice to save getting sued
  • Thought it was pretty good, Hopefully Jody Kid makes a decent recovery to continue. And yes those clip-less pedals catching out the noob's.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Missed the first half but was interesting to see them on the sportive. Gave me hope :)
  • bianchimoon
    Tashman wrote:
    Missed the first half but was interesting to see them on the sportive. Gave me hope :)
    sometimes what goes on in your head is harder to deal with than on the road, you'll be fine! a few metres at a time, don't think of the end, just break the sportive down into maneagable chunks, I've done many centurie,s C2C's, sportives etc, some time on a 30 mile ride I still break it down into 4 or five parts
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Tashman wrote:
    sometimes what goes on in your head is harder to deal with than on the road, you'll be fine! a few metres at a time, don't think of the end, just break the sportive down into maneagable chunks, I've done many centurie,s C2C's, sportives etc, some time on a 30 mile ride I still break it down into 4 or five parts
    cheers
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    That said it was actually quite good, although I remember a very similar programme that aired just before the 2014 Tour de France came to Yorkshire following a set of celebrities setting out to do the route of Stage 1.

Yeah, that rings a bell. I only recall sports types though. Will Greenwood was sensible whereas Johnny Nelson was the one who refused to be defeated by the climb.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    cougie wrote:

Cycle coaching seemed to be rubbish. No apparent advice on unclipping before clipping in. No advice on riding as a team even though it was mentioned as being necessary. No advice on road placement. Basically no advice on cycling.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • People on here get freaked out by lifting weights to improve cycling, so what does everyone make of doing assault courses? :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think they've overstated the team element of it. They're not a pro team. It's the etape. There's always going to be a wheel to follow. It'd make no sense for Austin to drag angelica round for example.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i enjoyed it, once you realise its just a bit of reality TV, all the coaching/training gaffs fall into place.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Cycle coaching seemed to be rubbish. No apparent advice on unclipping before clipping in. No advice on riding as a team even though it was mentioned as being necessary. No advice on road placement. Basically no advice on cycling.

I was aghast when newbie-to-clipless Angelina (?) was told how stop, by 'put your brakes on and slide forwards off the saddle.'
    Nonononono.
    Guess what they forgot to add (first and foremost)?!!
  • Jerry185
    Thick Mike wrote:
    People on here get freaked out by lifting weights to improve cycling, so what does everyone make of doing assault courses? :D

OCR's are my main sport. No help at all for cycling. Yes, it might be good for team bonding, but for the cycling part, there isn't much, as we saw later in the programme - and I get that. A 4 hour cyclist can't wait all day long for an 8 hour one.

And I did wonder before the assault course that it was a bit risky for injury. I've seen gashed backs, dislocated knees and someone who ended upside down in a fire
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Jerry185 wrote:
    and someone who ended upside down in a fire

ROFL !! Now THAT'S what I call an adventure !

I did winter tough guy back in the day - you were glad to run through fire after being in the ice covered water. Fantastic fun though.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It's not a Public Service Announcement it's a Channel 5 reality TV programme.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It's not a Public Service Announcement it's a Channel 5 reality TV programme.
    Yeah, but sending a newbie out on a clipless bike without telling her how to unclip is extremely shoddy from "top coaches".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    MIssed the 1st half hour or so and started watching just before Angelica was stating that she had decided to ride without cleats. Obviously i have seen comments since but at the time what struck me as stupid (lack of coaching maybe) was that she didn't have a pair of flats, with or without the cage.

Surely she would have been advised to take them along just in case she changed her mind about being clipless. Or at the very least thier support wagon would have had a pair in them.

Then theres the issue with the woman that felt very exposed next to traffic, Why the hell was she using clipless pedals?

Ultimately its like any reality program, the pro/enthusiasts will pick up on the nitty gritty but for most it will be entertainment.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I thought it was pretty good fun TV. The only concern I have is the impression they will give anybody interested in cycling that it is dangerous and that you will probably die if you ride for a few weeks. I know that makes the programme more dramatic but anyone who is not already a cyclist could well be put off trying by this.
  • Not a good advert for cycling. It's all presented, reality-TV style, as life or death, gruelling challenge stuff.

What kind of halfwit spends until the early hours of the morning out drinking with the lads before taking on a Pyrenean climb or two? And what kind of director hears the medic (who cycles followed by a team car with a medic on board?) say that the driker's blood pressure is "a little low" and tells the narrator to describe how it's "falling fast, this looks like the end of his ride"?

Louis needs a bike fit (and to grow a pair), and the model needs to be sent to a psychologist before she throws herself under a van just to prove to herself how scary cycling really is.

Besides, I learned earlier this year that it is possible to go from zero to 100 miles in about eight to ten weeks. With a lot less drama.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • pblakeney
    They are doing their best to make me (us) look awesome! :lol::lol::lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited December 2016
    Darren Gough and Austin Healey absolute idiots IMO, not a good idea getting boozed up before the charity ride, they need to grow up a bit.
  • bianchimoon
    Not a good advert for cycling. It's all presented, reality-TV style, as life or death, gruelling challenge stuff.

What kind of halfwit spends until the early hours of the morning out drinking with the lads before taking on a Pyrenean climb or two? And what kind of director hears the medic (who cycles followed by a team car with a medic on board?) say that the driker's blood pressure is "a little low" and tells the narrator to describe how it's "falling fast, this looks like the end of his ride"?

Louis needs a bike fit (and to grow a pair), and the model needs to be sent to a psychologist before she throws herself under a van just to prove to herself how scary cycling really is.

Besides, I learned earlier this year that it is possible to go from zero to 100 miles in about eight to ten weeks. With a lot less drama.

You haven't quiet grasped the concept of reality TV have you? Sorry to disappoint you but it's not a sports programme
  • bianchimoon
    mac9091 wrote:
    Ultimately its like any reality program, the pro/enthusiasts will pick up on the nitty gritty but for most it will be entertainment.

I think the pro, will see it for what it is a reality TV show with cycling as the vehicle to carry it, the pretentious and pedantic will pick up on the detail
  • Jerry185
    mac9091 wrote:

I think the pro, will see it for what it is a reality TV show with cycling as the vehicle to carry it, the pretentious and pedantic will pick up on the detail

Still makes me want to punch three of them right up the crack
    1) Hugo, whose idea of a strenuous workout is having to carry your own Harrod's shopping. Sooooo tired with 10K to go, he can't possibly go on. But can run across the road to the pub.
    2) Louis, the token one, who realises he can't get any ratings by his performance, so does rantings to get attention
    3) Lucy, (see Hugo) and will prove her point by cycling deliberately into a hedge.

No coincidence all these three are from lives where people adoring them is the must
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes Hugo wasn't 'digging in' was he on that climb. Pootling was the word. He's happier with the clueless trainer getting them to do step ups on a slippy floor....

Surprised about Amy W not liking the downhills ? I'd have thought a skeleton track was way scarier to do and harder to control ?

The cricketer is carrying a lot of timber. Has nobody mentioned this to him ??
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    diamonddog wrote:
    Darren Gough and Austin Healey absolute idiots IMO, not a good idea getting boozed up before the charity ride, they need to grow up a bit.

Really? Only what thousands of cyclists do every weekend.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Still doesn't make it a sensible thing to do, but each to their own I just thought ex pro sportsmen would have more sense.