Nick Skelton - Equestrian
Dame Sarah Storey - Cycling
Jamie Vardy - Football
Max Whitlock - Gymnastics
Danny Willett - Golf.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Froome's had, like, 3 attempts and has never got off the bottom rung. Time for a change.

I don't think he cares too much to be honest...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    They put the wrong hockey player on there too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Quek is going to be Queen of the Jungle 'kay... ;)

Jason and Laura should be there as a pair too*

(* yes I know, who cares!)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Quek is going to be Queen of the Jungle 'kay... ;)
    Not her. Maddie Hinch. Us goalkeepers need to stick up for each other.
  • ddraver
    Yeah I suspected you meant her. I agree with you tbh.
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Fun fact: Since the nominees have been chosen by a committee rather than sports editors summitting lists there have been more nominees from paralympic sport than football, cricket, rugby union and rugby league combined.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Judy_Murray_tweete_3535324b.jpg
    Wimbledon, Olympic Gold and ends the year as
    number one.
  • I can only assume the shortlisting committee think Downhill is just for larks

NO ROOM FOR RACHEL ATHERTON

Anyways, Ali Brownlee for meeee out of that list
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Murray should win that easy.

Team of the Year a more interesting category
    Leicester v GB Hockey v Wales Football v GB Cycling
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    No Will Grigg?
    Travesty
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Murray should win that easy.

Between Leicester & Wales, surely?

I'd go for Wales because I think that iteration of the team is as good as their cup run would suggest. Leicester are struggling somewhat since.
  • Murray should win that easy.

Between Leicester & Wales, surely?

I'd go for Wales because I think that iteration of the team is as good as their cup run would suggest. Leicester are struggling somewhat since.

Only in the league, doing OK in Europe. There's only one winner of that.

Froome shows how far UK cycling has come that winning the Tour de France is greeted with a "yeah, but we always do that. Do something impressive."
  • rick_chasey

Froome shows how far UK cycling has come that winning the Tour de France is greeted with a "yeah, but we always do that. Do something impressive."

Still treated as a novelty.

Can't imagine any other European nation rating a TdF win as low as the UK does.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I'd have though Laura Kenny will be pretty much favourite won't she? She's got all bases covered - tremendous success, role model, attractive, personable, female vote .... she'd be an excellent winner.

I know Olympics year always skews things, but its incredible that Froome winning his third TDF after the front page stories of him running up Ventoux doesn't even get nominated.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    I'd have though Laura Kenny will be pretty much favourite won't she? She's got all bases covered - tremendous success, role model, attractive, personable, female vote .... she'd be an excellent winner.

No, if Murray doesn't win again I'll be amazed. He'd be a worthy winner.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Does Team GB Cycing all get lumped together. The track cycling team came away from the Olympics with medals for every cyclist, the road/MTB didn't fare so well. Did anyone see the support team taking a bow for the fans on the last night of the Track events at Rio? They would be worthy of a gong of some sort.
  • rick_chasey
    CarbonClem wrote:

No, if Murray doesn't win again I'll be amazed. He'd be a worthy winner.

Yes.

Men's singles tennis is significantly more competitive than women's track endurance cycling.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204

Still treated as a novelty.

Can't imagine any other European nation rating a TdF win as low as the UK does.

Yeah, but he speaks in a funny way.
  • rick_chasey
    Not that it is the deciding factor, but how deep is the competition for Paralympic equestrian, out of interest?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Murray will win as his success is fresh in the memory too.

I agree that Hinch is the right Hockey player too. She was immense in winning gold.
  • CarbonClem wrote:

I know Olympics year always skews things, but its incredible that Froome winning his third TDF after the front page stories of him running up Ventoux doesn't even get nominated.

Nah, dont think she'll get the nod. Dont think any of the cyclists will

Re Froome and his running man antic, no one outside the cycling fraternity would have clocked it
  • RichN95.
    Not that it is the deciding factor, but how deep is the competition for Paralympic equestrian, out of interest?
    I had a look and was surprised by how many entrants there were (twenty something). But it's dominated by GB. A GB rider was second in Christiansen's events. And they won seven of the eleven golds
  • Tashman wrote:

I agree that Hinch is the right Hockey player too. She was immense in winning gold.

Murray to win for a 3rd time in 4 years? Not so sure about that. No slight on him, he's an incredible athlete playing at a time when the mens game has never been stronger, but I think a lot of people will fancy opting to ring the changes and go for someone else
  • Tashman wrote:

Well, one of his three big achievements of the year is fresh in the memory.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Tashman wrote:

I forgot he'd won Wimbledon, to be honest. He'll win it I expect.

No Froome is fallout from the TUE stuff, no question.

And Wales won't win the team one, too many people upset by them celebrating England losing to Iceland :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

I forgot he'd won Wimbledon, to be honest. He'll win it I expect.

No Froome is fallout from the TUE stuff, no question.

And Wales won't win the team one, too many people upset by them celebrating England losing to Iceland :lol:

I celebrated that!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    RichN95 wrote:
    Fun fact: Since the nominees have been chosen by a committee rather than sports editors summitting lists there have been more nominees from paralympic sport than football, cricket, rugby union and rugby league combined.

I liked SPOTY when someone like Frankie Dettori (an Italian) could be nominated, or when Mansell could win by losing. The technical analysis of sporting success omits the all important panache amongst other elements.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Re Froome and his running man antic, no one outside the cycling fraternity would have clocked it

They wont have remembered it is probably more the thing. The day it happened I was driving and it was making mainstream radio news bulletins, and it was front page news in the papers the next day ... it was out there.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I can't believe Mo Farrah or Laura Kenny haven't picked it up before.
  • CarbonClem wrote:

They wont have remembered it is probably more the thing. The day it happened I was driving and it was making mainstream radio news bulletins, and it was front page news in the papers the next day ... it was out there.

Well something either catches the imagination or it doesnt, I guess. When I say 'clocking it', I was meaning sinking into your consciousness. Gotta be a strong pull if it's be related to something in which you have no interest