Getting back in to it: beginner turbo trainer sessions?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
edited November 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've not ridden in a few years now. I was running quite a bit but I haven't done that in a few months either. I'm now the size of a house and have started running out of breath going up the stairs again.

I'm keen to get riding again and will dig my turbo trainer out tonight. Can anyone recommend training sessions to help me get back in to it or can you point me to a plan?

I have a heart rate monitor and am happy to train to that - but i don't know what my maximum heart rate for cycling is :) Haven't invested in power meter (yet).

Cheers,
Dub
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    look up trainerroad. Its great as you can see progress with your virtual power improving. That really helps keep you focused.
  • Fenix wrote:
    look up trainerroad. Its great as you can see progress with your virtual power improving. That really helps keep you focused.

Trainer road would require a speed sensor, power meter or smart trainer to train with power though, HR only doesn't work as far as I know.

To the OP, I'd give Sufferfest a look. HR only works, loads of different videos and you can progress to power if you want. I just use a speed/cadence/HRM set-up and virtual power, works well for me and much, much cheaper than investing in a power meter.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You don't need a smart trainer or power meter for trainerroad. You would need a speed sensor and a supported Turbo though.

Sufferfest is good but I'd not do their videos all of the time - I'd be dead before Xmas. Do they have easier plans too ?
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I have a compatible turbo trainer and do actually have a speed sensor too. I used trainerroad for a short while when it first came out. I will try it again.

Love the sufferfest vids but.. they are SOOOOOOO hard! :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Fenix wrote:
    You don't need a smart trainer or power meter for trainerroad. You would need a speed sensor and a supported Turbo though.

Sufferfest is good but I'd not do their videos all of the time - I'd be dead before Xmas. Do they have easier plans too ?

Aye, OP only has a HRM at the moment.

They have some less intense, base training videos they have produced with the Col Collective, specifically The Way Out and To Get To The Other Side. There are also open 60 minute and open 30 minute videos where you can go at whatever pace you like.

To be honest I don't actually use a training plan. I ride fixed so most of my turbo work is dedicated to pushing big gears at low rpms, but they do have beginner plans in the list.
  • Dubcat wrote:
    I have a compatible turbo trainer and do actually have a speed sensor too. I used trainerroad for a short while when it first came out. I will try it again.

Love the sufferfest vids but.. they are SOOOOOOO hard! :)

Ah ok, in that case I would be using Sufferfest. They have training plans if that's your thing otherwise just pic and choose a video. The App is good as you get virtual power, HR, cadence all displayed and the profile of the video is there so you have a better idea of what to expect.