As I was riding home from work.....

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
.....on the lovely Leeds "Cycle Super Highway" yesterday evening a funny thing happened.

It was dark, I was nicely illuminated by my Exposure Race and helmet mounted Joystick lights - both on flash mode which are strangely different considering the actual units are the same resulting in a bit of a strobe effect but anyway.... So I was coming up behind this stealth rider on a hybrid (black clothes, black bike, no lights etc) and, as usual, hoping he'd keep his line as the "Super" highway is too narrow to be properly safe passing folk when, whilst a bike length ahead of me, he shoulder checks and suddenly stops dead. As I ride past him he says:

"Sorry mate, I thought you was the police"!
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Rolf F wrote:
    Maybe it was the strobing combined with the cool white (rather than warm white) LEDs.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Ive noticed a lot of people in cars giving me room filtering when i run my 500 (claimed) lumen evans own brand light on flash. I like it, i was only doing it because the battery was low the first time, but i do it every night now
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    Maybe it was the strobing combined with the cool white (rather than warm white) LEDs.

Probably right - and combined with a guilty conscience I suspect! We do have at least a couple of cycle Fuzz in Leeds but I don't think they have flashing lights.

I may have to experiment with blue and red Quality Street wrappers on the lenses....
    Faster than a tent.......