Carrera Gryphon Build

grant2307
grant2307 Posts: 135
edited March 2017 in Your road bikes
Hey,

Somehow got a bug to build a bike, not rode a bike in years and I don't have a tonne of cash to throw at one by any means.

Seen some lovely looking bikes on here and would love to own one, one day..

Anyway have a couple friends at work who have worked at bike shops and one at Decathlon who are giving me a hand as I have no idea..

I'm almost certain the bike will be no where near certain standards compared to the stuff I have seen on here but it will do for more than I need for now until I can tell what areas need improving and so forth..

Anyway here is the 21" frame that comes with a set of steel forks that I will be replacing for some ally flat blades at some point..

28937541216_89f85103c3_c.jpg

Set of ex demo Tiagra shifters.. 10 speed / Double

28893442541_3e1026cbda_c.jpg
28893442261_98e825170b_c.jpg

Tiagra Derailers..

28937541236_e18a0dd7c1_c.jpg
28893442411_182d4f2440_c.jpg

FSA Stem..

28353375393_7e48843dde_c.jpg
28893442601_972529f4ce_c.jpg

Quick releases..

28893442361_05b3ef1101_c.jpg

Soft grips..

28893442311_afcdd40360_c.jpg

I just picked up some B Twin bar ends yesterday at Decathlon and the frame is going off to my friends body shop to be painted and I will be having the forks redone in gloss black to just clean them up for now.

I also have a Alexrims wheels set coming that run Shimano hubs and run disc brakes, they should be arriving on Tuesday.

Have a Selles Bassano saddle from Decathlon also.

I feel like I have said Decathlon way too many times so I will leave it there and update with pictures again at some point.

Hope I'm not intruding too much ha

Comments

• turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Sounds like you've got the right idea.

It can be a pleasure to take the time to build a bike and getting it painted will make it feel more your own. Good luck with it.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • grant2307
    Hey people, been slightly busy. Had a change around at work and I'm back at my job again ha.

Anyway..

My bike frame is off for painting, should have that back at some point soon.

Got my flat handlebar / seatpost & mudguard from Brick Lane Bikes.

29735606603_2f2de5f78f_c.jpg

My Black 700C AlexRims wheel set running Shimano Hubs to hold disc brakes. Stickers were removed by previous owner, actually removed the glue residue today.

30070277680_96cd343496_c.jpg

I have some 700 x 25c Continental Gatorskins on order, they may have turned up at my work yesterday, if not they will be here tomorrow.

Once the bike is back from painting I can start putting the bike together.

Still need a crank / pedals / bottom bracket etc but I am aiming to get this finished as close to November 14th as possible. Changing branches at work and will hopefully be riding in by then with the bike finished.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Nice project to get you into the delights of road cycling. Enjoy. Nicely put together bike and thread.
  • Gatorskins were delivered..

31167549121_824812c770_c.jpg

My frame is now painted and here is the only photo I have. Will pick this up on Saturday hopefully and start putting this together.

31136786522_6270e90719_c.jpg
  • I was being very optimistic with my handlebars, need to change them for a wider option. Not a problem though.

Heres how the bike is currently standing anyhow..

31628214165_7b6a1c7a29_c.jpg

31591048926_18ae8a7128_c.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pretty sure those shifters are facing the wrong way?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Leave those bars: looks pukka.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Imposter wrote:

Good spot Imposter - thought there was something a bit askew when I looked at the pics

OP - I'm not sure how you've managed it but the flat bar shifters are indeed pointing the wrong way. Image below is from a flat bar build I did a year or so back for my grandson. On this image you can see that the main body of the shifter should be pointing forward not backwards as on your build (Shifters in the pics are Ultegra rather than Tiagra but the design is the same)

26882792801_70463990bc_c.jpg

To get the shifters orientated as you have them my brain says that you must have the FD (Double) shifter on the RHS and the RD (10-speed) shifter on the LHS which is counter-intuitive for most cyclists toiday
  • Leave those bars: looks pukka.

Would love to but still need to fit brakes and a light unit on. No room. Can barely get my hands on with the shifters. Not going to go to wide though.
  • arlowood wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Good spot Imposter - thought there was something a bit askew when I looked at the pics

OP - I'm not sure how you've managed it but the flat bar shifters are indeed pointing the wrong way. Image below is from a flat bar build I did a year or so back for my grandson. On this image you can see that the main body of the shifter should be pointing forward not backwards as on your build (Shifters in the pics are Ultegra rather than Tiagra but the design is the same)

26882792801_70463990bc_c.jpg

To get the shifters orientated as you have them my brain says that you must have the FD (Double) shifter on the RHS and the RD (10-speed) shifter on the LHS which is counter-intuitive for most cyclists toiday

They got bolted down as they were left because we realised my handle bar was way shorter than expected. Will get this resolved though.

Thanks for pointing out.
  • 30968476844_94e14b6b2f_c.jpg

Had these turn up today at work
  • Not sure that Campag will work too smoothly with the Shimano shifters and mechs?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Deleted
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure that Campag will work too smoothly with the Shimano shifters and mechs?
    Chainsets are usually fairly agnostic to whatever other kit is fitted. Shouldn't be a worry really...
  • Just stumbled across this.
    Building a bike from scratch is certainly something I want to do in the future when I have more time.
    It's looking really promising and good luck. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just stumbled across this.
    Building a bike from scratch is certainly something I want to do in the future when I have more time.
    It's looking really promising and good luck. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

If you really want to build a bike from scratch rather than hang a few components on a shop-bought frameset then maybe you should also take a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13074390

That is the true essence of a scratch built bike - maybe beyond the talents of many but great to watch the progress
  • I'll take a look at that, thanks for the link my friend
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    Not sure that Campag will work too smoothly with the Shimano shifters and mechs?
    Chainsets are usually fairly agnostic to whatever other kit is fitted. Shouldn't be a worry really...

It'll work fine - no problem at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks for the interest, will update this over the next couple of weeks. Been tied up at work and playing Dad. Oh and having a car to fix.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Not sure that I would replace the steel forks with Alu. Alu forks are normally the worst for road vibrations. Steel or Carbon normally more comfortable. If you want lighter, carbon for the win...
  • apreading wrote:
    Not sure that I would replace the steel forks with Alu. Alu forks are normally the worst for road vibrations. Steel or Carbon normally more comfortable. If you want lighter, carbon for the win...

Will take that in to consideration. That hadn't actually crossed my mind so thanks.

The steel forks will do for now while I actually start putting some miles on the bike. Ordered a chain / cassette / replacement handlebars / bar end plugs / pedals.

My friend has sourced me some hydraulic brakes, so hopefully within the next week I should be on the road.

Have signed up to Hertfordshire bike ride on May 7th for a 25 mile ride. Should be fun.

Any tips would be great :lol:
  • grant2307
    The bike is built now and pretty much finished, just need to shorten my brake cables and fit front derailleur.