Winter Jacket

spannerdude
spannerdude Posts: 56
edited December 2016 in Road general
Hi

Sorry this has bound to of been covered before
What winter jacket/jersey do people recommend?
Went out today in 5°c weather nice and dry, in a Madison merino base layer, apex long sleeved jersey and my original version of the Gabba.
Once I warmed up after 20 mins I was fine, then after an hour and a half I got a cold back. After 2 hrs my front felt cold.

Had I not layered up correctly, or is the Gabba not in its temp range. If not what are your recommendations, I also had the same issue with a gore soft shell. (the one with removable arms)
as there are loads of jersey/jackets out there, if I need to sell the two I have to fund a new one, I will

thanks for reading my ramblings. :oops:

looking at BTR for advice here, as his review on the S-ones made my mind up

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Best to just listen to your body. If it is 5c or less i wear a gore alp-x jacket with similar layering to you as it is designed for mountain bike endurance riding but works well for me on the road. At 10c or above i boil alive in it. Sounds like you just need a warmer jacket.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Bought the Galiber Mistral Foul 2 and have only been able to wear it twice, not because its bad just unless i go out early morning when its cold and dark its still too hot to wear.

The 1st ride i had on my thermal base layer and normal jersey due to not being sure how warm it would be. Well i went 20mins and considered turning back as i was overheating already, it was only 10oC (Add in that i had just got back from 2 1/2 months in the Mohave desert with temps upto 45oC). The next ride was just with a base layer and the jacket on i think it was 8oC and again more than warm but had to temper my ride to suit.

The only issue i could see is that if you can't get low down for a lot of the time then the jacket is about 1-2" too short on the front. The back and sleeves are plenty long enough.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Baselayer and a long sleeve jersey under a Gabba when it's as warm (!) as 5 degrees seems a bit much. A cold back is presumably down to sweat.

I just had a Lidl baselayer + s/s Gabba + arm warmers today and starting off at around 0 degrees was a bit chilly, but when it warmed up in the sun to around 7 degrees I was a little warm. I'd have been sweating buckets with an extra layer on.

I don't think you need to spend money on a new jacket, but maybe you're just looking for an excuse to buy some new kit?
    More problems but still living....
  • mac9091 wrote:
    Bought the Galiber Mistral Foul 2 and have only been able to wear it twice, not because its bad just unless i go out early morning when its cold and dark its still too hot to wear.

The 1st ride i had on my thermal base layer and normal jersey due to not being sure how warm it would be. Well i went 20mins and considered turning back as i was overheating already, it was only 10oC (Add in that i had just got back from 2 1/2 months in the Mohave desert with temps upto 45oC). The next ride was just with a base layer and the jacket on i think it was 8oC and again more than warm but had to temper my ride to suit.

The only issue i could see is that if you can't get low down for a lot of the time then the jacket is about 1-2" too short on the front. The back and sleeves are plenty long enough.

I was looking at buying one of these - have plenty of windproof but need a waterproof jacket.

I live up in the Lancashire hills, so although it gets cold, if riding for a couple of hours or more, it's impossible to avoid a decent amount of climbing, which gets sweaty.
    I take it this jacket would be no good then? Anything better for a similar price? (£70ish)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I sold my gabba. Wasn't impressed by almost going hypothermic in August in it...

Check out the DHB soft-shell. Awesome jacket. Much warmer and better with rain than the gabba.

The pros might race in gabbas but that's not in winter and their pace is a lot hotter than our paces... It's not a winter jersey.
  • amaferanga
    cougie wrote:
    I sold my gabba. Wasn't impressed by almost going hypothermic in August in it...

Check out the DHB soft-shell. Awesome jacket. Much warmer and better with rain than the gabba.

The pros might race in gabbas but that's not in winter and their pace is a lot hotter than our paces... It's not a winter jersey.

The Gabba is great in the winter, but not in proper rain. For days like to day (not much above zero, but sunny) it's perfect if worn with the right baselayer.
  • cougie
    It's weird that it's marketed as a foul weather jacket then. Or that's the image it has.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 wrote:

I was looking at buying one of these - have plenty of windproof but need a waterproof jacket.

I live up in the Lancashire hills, so although it gets cold, if riding for a couple of hours or more, it's impossible to avoid a decent amount of climbing, which gets sweaty.
    I take it this jacket would be no good then? Anything better for a similar price? (£70ish)

I'm in Devon and each ride the minimum i'll climb (on a 2 hour ride) is at least 1500ft and as i say i've only worn the jacket twice. Although when i did open the zip i could instantly feel the wind cool me down, so for me i think it'll be a case of finding the optimum opening on the zip to keep wind out but temp down.

I'm off out tomorrow and the temp will be 5-7oC so will be wearing it, can report back with a bit more info.
    cougie wrote:
    It's weird that it's marketed as a foul weather jacket then. Or that's the image it has.

The site states: " The soft-shell is highly water resistant, but due to the superior body stretch of the material, the seams cannot be internally taped, so in downpour, the rain will eventually get through. The magic of the Mistral is that you will not get cold, being 100% windproof and with a breathable rating of over 7000."

So yes its fairly waterproof but not completely.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    amaferanga wrote:
    cougie wrote:

The Gabba is great in the winter, but not in proper rain. For days like to day (not much above zero, but sunny) it's perfect if worn with the right baselayer.

Gabba is overrated IMO. Had one and was never warm or dry in it so sold and got alpha jacket and jersey instead. Both far better than gabba. Was in the alpha jacket today with l/s castelli Flanders base layer and fine Doing local chainy ar 2-3deg. Similar days in a gabba I was frozen
  • Am I missing something here or are people getting carried away with brand names and reading a bit too much into cycling. All I see on here is Gabba this, Rapha that, Castelli the other, base layer etc.

I too have been out the last couple of days in three and four degrees and have worn an old t shirt and an old tracksuit top. The only acknowledgement to the weather has been a good pair of gloves (supermarket not branded) and to wear two pair of socks.

If you keep your extremities warm (fingers / toes / maybe a bali for your ears) surely the very act of cycling will keep the rest of your body warm. It's physical exercise, you will heat up.
  • amaferanga
    xixang wrote:
    Gabba is overrated IMO. Had one and was never warm or dry in it so sold and got alpha jacket and jersey instead. Both far better than gabba. Was in the alpha jacket today with l/s castelli Flanders base layer and fine Doing local chainy ar 2-3deg. Similar days in a gabba I was frozen

2-3 degrees is the ideal temperature for me for a short sleeve gabba, good baselayer and arm warmers. Just shows we're all different. I've had a gabba for >3 years now and find it ideal through the winter for dry days. If it's wet and cold I wear something that's actually waterproof. It doesn't work at all if you're just pootling along though so not for your average club run.
  • mac9091
    Am I missing something here or are people getting carried away with brand names and reading a bit too much into cycling. All I see on here is Gabba this, Rapha that, Castelli the other, base layer etc.

I too have been out the last couple of days in three and four degrees and have worn an old t shirt and an old tracksuit top. The only acknowledgement to the weather has been a good pair of gloves (supermarket not branded) and to wear two pair of socks.

If you keep your extremities warm (fingers / toes / maybe a bali for your ears) surely the very act of cycling will keep the rest of your body warm. It's physical exercise, you will heat up.

Could i enquire as to if you have a bit of extra "padding"? :)

Most will say (and i agree slightly) that branded names offer better quality and fit, but as with anything there will be the lesser known names that struggle to make an impact with advertising (i'd never heard of Galibier before) and then those who are written off by the majority (aldi/lidl stuff)
  • mac9091

As promised was out this morning, i set off with just the Galibier and a short sleeve baselayer on the top half. On the bottom was a pair of leg warmers and shorts. Temp was 4oC and an 8mph headwind when i went out (route was out to a point and back in the same way), plan was to take it easy out and hit hard back in. That went out the window on the 1st climb. I really should learn to pace myself!

Left the jacket zipped up 100% up until i had passed the climb and then zipped down to 75% to cool, wasn't overheating though. Had it unzipped for about 10 mins and then back to 100% zipped. On the return i kept it 100% zipped all the way back due to the increased speed and therefore more windchill. My hands were beginning to get cold despite my windproof gore-tex gloves but my wrists and arms were warm.

Got to the coffee stop and it had increased to 6oC and had benefited from an steady 8mph tailwind, warm enough for someone else to be getting ridiculed for turning up in just shorts (theres always one). While enjoying my brew and millionaires slice/ breakfast, my top half stayed warm even after my legs began to get cold. Had to cut the break short as my legs were getting that cold.

All in all (after a rather long post) i recon i have found the temperature at which the top is suitable FOR ME, i am more than happy with the purchase but i do have a lightweight waterproof shell that if its going to be constantly raining i'll take along with me if im out on a long ride due to the jacket not being completely waterproof.
  • Am I missing something here or are people getting carried away with brand names and reading a bit too much into cycling. All I see on here is Gabba this, Rapha that, Castelli the other, base layer etc.

You could be right Frank
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Am I missing something here or are people getting carried away with brand names and reading a bit too much into cycling. All I see on here is Gabba this, Rapha that, Castelli the other, base layer etc.

You carry on pal, I won't be following your fashion choice.

I'll stick with my Castelli, call me a snob if you like but it works for me.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No Frank you may be right for your cycling.. but my 10 hours per week commute is only feasible with what I consider is cycling specific kit.. and quite a bit of it. Last week saw 2 days of drenching cold rain.. my 6 year old ALtura finally gave up being a rain jacket.. so Black Friday deal saw me invest in an Endura Equipe full on rain jacket for £70 instead of its listed 200.
    Ultra dry cold is a Castelli Mortirolo .... above 5 and wet ... 2 Gabbas....
    I have three pairs of Endura bib shorts and DHB padless tights .. a choice of three helmets .. a choice of 4 types of glove.. multiple base layers Craft.. DHB. Overshoes from Northwave to Endura ..
    Brands work for me... and after second thoughts ....you are missing something.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I think the Gabba is or was originally marketed as a foul weather racing jersey. It wasn't intended for the Sunday club run. I tend to run warm and to be honest, I wish I'd not been taken in by the hype of the Gabba. It reminds me of my wet suit and I bake in it. Cool days in Spring/Autumn in changeable weather and maybe with a hardshell in cold monsoon type weather.

For me in winter keeping the wind out is key if it's really cold. I've a Craft LS baselayer and an Aldi SS one with a windproof panel on the front for when it's really cold, 0°C or below.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I doubt the Gabba was ever meant to be a 'winter' jersey, just a racing top, to be worn in place of a flappy rain jacket.

I find for my 16 winter hours a week on Exmoor, that an Assos Strumprinz jacket, a Craft long sleeve base layer, and an Assos jersey in between to suit the temperature works really well.
  • jgsi
    A Gabba can be a sensible choice --- dependent on the layering underneath..... so dont always go with perceived wisdom..
    It wont be worn tomorrow at 6 30am though... a -3 urban and that means perhaps a new winter record of -7 for me when I climb out of Cheshire.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    JGSI wrote:
    A Gabba can be a sensible choice --- dependent on the layering underneath..... so dont always go with perceived wisdom..
    It wont be worn tomorrow at 6 30am though... a -3 urban and that means perhaps a new winter record of -7 for me when I climb out of Cheshire.

Do watch for ice, I know someone who broke his hip last winter.
  • I looked up a 2011 review in which Castelli had said the Gabba was for between 10c and 18c (IIRC) so definitely not designed as a full winter jersey. I find mine gets pretty clammy - can't say I'm much of a fan. It was definitely heavily hyped.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mac9091 wrote:

As promised was out this morning, i set off with just the Galibier and a short sleeve baselayer on the top half. On the bottom was a pair of leg warmers and shorts. Temp was 4oC and an 8mph headwind when i went out (route was out to a point and back in the same way), plan was to take it easy out and hit hard back in. That went out the window on the 1st climb. I really should learn to pace myself!

Left the jacket zipped up 100% up until i had passed the climb and then zipped down to 75% to cool, wasn't overheating though. Had it unzipped for about 10 mins and then back to 100% zipped. On the return i kept it 100% zipped all the way back due to the increased speed and therefore more windchill. My hands were beginning to get cold despite my windproof gore-tex gloves but my wrists and arms were warm.

Got to the coffee stop and it had increased to 6oC and had benefited from an steady 8mph tailwind, warm enough for someone else to be getting ridiculed for turning up in just shorts (theres always one). While enjoying my brew and millionaires slice/ breakfast, my top half stayed warm even after my legs began to get cold. Had to cut the break short as my legs were getting that cold.

All in all (after a rather long post) i recon i have found the temperature at which the top is suitable FOR ME, i am more than happy with the purchase but i do have a lightweight waterproof shell that if its going to be constantly raining i'll take along with me if im out on a long ride due to the jacket not being completely waterproof.

Thanks for that. Sounds a decent-ish jacket but probably need something that offers the verstility of being able to be worn comfortably from spring through to autumn too and not just the colder bits of winter.
  • what I was hoping for was a jersey/jacket that would cope with a wider range of temperatures,
    As I was getting a cold back due to getting too warm, I was hoping that the merino base layer decent jersey and Gabba would keep the wind chill at bay.
    but it could be that I'm crap at layering,

So 5 degree ride with just a base layer and gabba next time !
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You asked for BTR advice, look on his blog and also on his thread in general.

Personally for cold winter conditions - for warmth I think the Parentini Mossa and the Castelli Alpha Jersey are better than the Gabba. In fact the winter jacket I got from Aldi a number of years ago - made by Crane is probably better than the Gabba. For me the Gabba is a foul weather garment at 3-4+ C but not below.

Baselayers are important - the Parentini Baselayer for winter is superb - comparable in performance to the v expensive ASSOS/Rapha winter baselayer.

Last winter the Garmin went down to -6C - the Alpha jersey + the Rapha deep winter baselayer was really warm.
  • cougie
    Definitely don't overlook the aldi kit. Rather than buy one expensive jacket buy a couple of cheaper different jackets for different conditions
  • There are loads of jacket/jerseys out there, it's difficult to know what's best, was interested to know what people were using .
    I have tried a couple of different base layers , and not found the perfect one for winter

Cycling in the summer is a lot less hassle
  • cougie
    Yesterday was -1 here. Today 7 degrees. So I'd not be wearing the same kit on even two consecutive days.

It's a bit trial and error really. How hot do you run? How fast and far Are you going? For an hours blast I'd wear something different to ab4 hour ride.

Even on the same ride you'll hit different Temps and weather.
  • jgsi
    joe2008 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

Do watch for ice, I know someone who broke his hip last winter.

I got the day wrong.. it's tomorrow .. not looking forward to it, being honest.. I'm doing the maths for the layering
  • Expert eyes have scrutinized
    And scientists agree
    One tracksuit would suffice
    But you're better off with three

Ack: JCC
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    cougie wrote:
    Definitely don't overlook the aldi kit. Rather than buy one expensive jacket buy a couple of cheaper different jackets for different conditions
    Agree - today it was 0 degrees Celcius in Yorkshire and I was wearing a cheap but warm and tight fitting Aldi softshell jacket with a few layers underneath, a cycling balaclava under my helmet, Aldi winter gloves and Aldi overshoes, and I had a great ride - didn't feel the cold at all.