Castro's Dead

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited December 2016 in The cake stop
As above

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I am sensing a collective shrug on the part of forumites.

He made Cuba into a "mouse that roared" as an island nation, stood up to the USA but nearly started a nuclear war.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    kicked out corrupt scum, but replaced it with equally dodgy rule

shows the pettiness of nations, over fifty years of sanctions because the usa didn't like its puppets being ousted
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    2016 hasn't been a good year.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    21st hasn't been a good century
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    sungod wrote:
    kicked out corrupt scum, but replaced it with equally dodgy rule

shows the pettiness of nations, over fifty years of sanctions because the usa didn't like its puppets being ousted
    Very much so, it was an embarrassment to the US having a communist nation a mere 90 miles away.
  • Despite sanctions the Cuban healthcare system is admired throughout the world. It's infant mortality rates and longevity are comparable with developed countries.

Education is pretty good as well
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i think should all spare a thought for stevo at this traumatic time for him, Castro was stevo's boyhood hero and Stevo made several visits to Cuba to pay homage to the great man.
    this and the constant contact the 2 men had over many years forged Stevo's left wing credentials and helped make Steve the working mans hero he is today.

Deepest sympathies at your loss Stevo.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Whatever else I don't think there can be much doubt Cubans are better off for Castro's revolution.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    mamba80 wrote:
    i think should all spare a thought for stevo at this traumatic time for him, Castro was stevo's boyhood hero and Stevo made several visits to Cuba to pay homage to the great man.
    this and the constant contact the 2 men had over many years forged Stevo's left wing credentials and helped make Steve the working mans hero he is today.

Deepest sympathies at your loss Stevo.
    :)

Castro's Cuba taught us some valuable lessons

abbad64eb29bb2c9aff74bfebfdc4839.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • My first thought when I heard the news was the recollection when the (Post-Richey) Manics met him...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA7T2LmbJEM
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Trump, not a fan.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Corbyn, big fan.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Whatever else I don't think there can be much doubt Cubans are better off for Castro's revolution.
    Well, I have just a little bit... It's possible that the thousands and thousands of political prisoners, the 10% or so of the population who have risked their lives to flee to the US, and the millions stuck in abject poverty and repressive and authoritarian government might have some doubts too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    bompington wrote:
    Well, I have just a little bit... It's possible that the thousands and thousands of political prisoners, the 10% or so of the population who have risked their lives to flee to the US, and the millions stuck in abject poverty and repressive and authoritarian government might have some doubts too.

There will always be some people who are never satisfied.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666
    bompington wrote:

There will always be some people who are never satisfied.
    Given some of the issues faced by Cubans that Bompington mentions, it's not as if they are being overly picky is it.
  • The USA are the biggest meddlers and fuckers up of the world there has ever been.
    That is not leftie propaganda it is a fact.
    Forget Stalin and Hitler they were playing at it, they killed/murdered millions between them however the USA have instigated the need for and provided the means for numerous populous to wage war upon each other. The US is a total bag of shit that has exploited its position of the worlds largest economy for worse rather than better.
    How many have died over oil money, how many have died over political ideology (Vietnam) US big business were providing the means for Nazi Germany to continue waging war whilst sending its own citizens to fight and die in that conflict.
    Castro, a man who lead a peasants rebellion against a corrupt US supported regime, castigated, do me a favour the man had bollocks.
    The yanks are the great believers in democracy as long as it is there way, ask Noriega in Nicaragua.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    At least the US is a democracy, which is more than you can say for Cuba.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    At least the US is a democracy, which is more than you can say for Cuba.
    Really,
    I understand Clinton got more votes than Trump!
    That's democracy for ya.
    Thing is democracy or not Cuba hasn't f**ked the world up.
    Tail end Charlie

• Still thinking then Stevo?
    There is no right and proper answer.
    The us electoral system is not democratic like ours isn't
    However the US are perpatrators of wars all around the world to suit their own ends.
    Tail end Charlie

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We're off to Cuba, next April. Before it goes down hill.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Still thinking then Stevo?
    There is no right and proper answer.
    The us electoral system is not democratic like ours isn't
    However the US are perpatrators of wars all around the world to suit their own ends.
    There's a slight difference between a democratic system with flaws in it and a one party state. Would you prefer the latter Frank?
  • Stevo_666
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Don't worry, his brother is in charge now. Smooth transition with no need for this pesky voting malarkey.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Don't worry, his brother is in charge now. Smooth transition with no need for this pesky voting malarkey.

Been twice, it's a great country to visit, fascinating modern history. Try and explore away from the tourist resorts. These are completely sanitised.
  • The USA are the biggest meddlers and idiots up of the world there has ever been.
    That is not leftie propaganda it is a fact.
    Forget Stalin and Hitler they were playing at it, they killed/murdered millions between them however the USA have instigated the need for and provided the means for numerous populous to wage war upon each other. The US is a total bag of shoot that has exploited its position of the worlds largest economy for worse rather than better.
    How many have died over oil money, how many have died over political ideology (Vietnam) US big business were providing the means for Nazi Germany to continue waging war whilst sending its own citizens to fight and die in that conflict.
    Castro, a man who lead a peasants rebellion against a corrupt US supported regime, castigated, do me a favour the man had ****.
    The yanks are the great believers in democracy as long as it is there way, ask Noriega in Nicaragua.

You do not mention the attempted genocide of the indigenous population, their role in the slave trade, apartheid and ongoing dubious civil rights record
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

He has been in charge for a decade
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Been twice, it's a great country to visit, fascinating modern history. Try and explore away from the tourist resorts. These are completely sanitised.

That's exactly our intention. By "down hill", I did mean "further sanitised"... now that the Yanks are allowed in.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

He has been in charge for a decade
    As I said then...
  • Castro was the last remainder that the 1900 as a century existed... now it's something you read about in the history books. Like any leader/dictator he had very bad press from the west... just like Gaddafi and of course more deservedly so Saddam Hussein.
    The last revolutionary, a concept that has disappeared in the 21st century... the idea that things can change overnight is so far away from our view of the world, where corporations make sure nothing ever changes.

I have the feeling we never got to understand any of those leaders, because all we received in terms of press was how they oppressed/killed tortured etc... all things that any modern western country has done just as well, under the carpet and often away from the limelight.

Whichever view you might have of Castro, he represent a pretty significant piece of history of the second half of the last century.
    left the forum March 2023
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Knocked down one authoritarian regime, and immediately installed another. The Cubans were probably slightly better with Castro than other Latin Americans were with their military dictatorships up until the 1980s, but it's a pity that Cuba didn't then get caught in the wave of democratisation.