rear bolt through axle problem

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm new to these as all my previous bikes have been quick release rear axles.

Now my mega tr has a rockshox maxle 142x12 axle and I am wondering about the lever resistance.

Is it just the same as quick release you want it tight but not overly tight and get the imprint in your hand when you do it up?

I'm just wondering as I've had to adjust the rear axle a few times in the last few weeks, how far can you go on the adjustment as I have each time turned the allen key a couple of turns and heard a click.

The frame is used so could it be just a worn axle, do these ever wear out? Its just the basic maxle I am using and not the fancy ultimate ones I see you can buy.

Comments

• swod1
    Further to the above can anyone help with this?

I've had for a while a problem with getting my rear brake caliper centred ever since building up the bike and I think its definitely to do with the rear maxle. As I was wondering why my rear brake pads had glazed, disc is brand new and not warped.

I keep finding the wheel is loose even though I do up the maxle tight, its not the wheel (hope pro 2 evo) I've checked all that.

I go for a ride and come back to find you can grab the wheel and feel some play in it and the maxle is loose.

Its the maxle light with the cut out for the lever to screw up the axle.

I've adjusted the lever resistance a turn each time with a 2.5mm allen key but cant seem to sort it out.

Has the maxle had it?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maxle light and the Hope hubs don't mix as I understand it read the details on Hopes website.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Maxle light and the Hope hubs don't mix as I understand it read the details on Hopes website.

thanks, I've just had a search on it as I cant find anything mentioned on Hopes website. It appears to be the hope pro 2 hubs that were affected, I have the pro 2 evo model with the improved centre axle in it.

Never had a problem with 15mm maxle on forks I've had. These rear maxles are new to me, the frame is used so maybe it is worn and I need to buy a new one.

Looked up prices of new axles and how come they are so expensive?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    swod1 wrote:

Because they can...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    cooldad wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    Because they can...

Surprised no one else does them like superstar etc unless rockshox use a weird thread pitch or something none standard.

Is it not same as Syntace X-12?

Is it worth just getting the same again maxle light or empty my wallet for a maxle ultimate? I cant see any difference between them to be honest.
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    I had a issue with my cube 15mm axel that the wheel was loose, in the in end I did it up as tight as I could as the quick release doesn't seem to matter with tightness.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/do-not-use- ... 45992.html

Google for 'maxle lite hope pro2' and you'll find lots of info on the issues. (Other search engines work as well).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.