London Commute - Canary Wharf times

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
Hello, does anyone cycle across to Canary Wharf from the West? I was trying to gauge how long it would typically take beyond Blackfriars which is where I used to exit. Full ride would be from Surbiton to CW. I am no racing snake so will take some responses with a pinch of salt!
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    15-20 mins if i recall

Assume 4-5mins per mile.
  • 5milestogo wrote:
    Hello, does anyone cycle across to Canary Wharf from the West? I was trying to gauge how long it would typically take beyond Blackfriars which is where I used to exit. Full ride would be from Surbiton to CW. I am no racing snake so will take some responses with a pinch of salt!

I'm very cautious about filtering and a pootling type bike with almost no competive instinct, I find I cover 10-15 miles in a hour.

The embankment for pottering type cyclist is I feel faster now. Last time I was there it was a mess of disconnected bike lanes.

One useful way to to find the relevant segment and look at that days times which should give a more realistic idea than the one day the lights where green etc.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hello,

I ride to CW. as above it's about 3 miles from the city so 15 to 20 minutes depending on your speed/fitness.

you only have to decide whether to brave CS8 (Cable Street and Narrow Street) and the trials and tribulations of the east end, pedestrians, cars pulling out of side turnings, narrow bike lanes or The Highway with it's 40 mph HGVs.

special props if you use Commercial Road which is a combination of both of the above...

Welcome to the jungle!
    FCN = 4
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    If you are a pottering-type cyclists then I don't think there's much wrong with the EW cycle superhighway then CS3.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    inbike wrote:
    If you are a pottering-type cyclists then I don't think there's much wrong with the EW cycle superhighway then CS3.

I would kind of agree with this but every time I've been on the superhighway I've found it more dangerous than the Highway!
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    Commercial Road every time for me, its bus lanes for the vast majority of the route, just watch out for nutters on mopeds and usual right/left hook hot spots.. Much faster than CS3 and feels safer, though if I was plodding along would probably head down to cable street for piece of mind.
  • Hold something back for the race up the Westferry Ramp. Never show too early as the gale over the top can almost bring you to a standstill
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Over the top :-) steady now, its no Balham hill
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Over the top :-) steady now, its no Balham hill

But the mistral blowing through adds at least a cat to its ranking. Balham also doesn't have uniformed cheerleaders urging you on though the barriers
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Cheerleaders you say ....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Cheerleaders you say ....

With glow sticks , shouting encouragement and pointing out their favourites riders