Whisky

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
edited November 2016 in The cake stop
Anyone recommend me a whisky for about 40 pounds ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Talisker is pretty palatable. I am just starting to get into it and am far from being a connoisseur but I would say in the most simplest of terms that generally there are 2 distinct flavours - peaty ones and not. (in the same way you could say there are 2 wines, white and red) Who's it for? Something like Ardberg or Laphroag is more peaty and generally keen drinkers prefer these.
  • DeVlaeminck
    For my mum
  • DeVlaeminck
    She's not a connoisseur either - she's Scottish so probably best stick to Scotch or something similar - don't think she'd appreciate Irish Whiskey - I guess something not too left field - I'd struggle to say what exactly she'd like because I only drink whisky occasionally tend to stick to wine and beer at home.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Auchentoshan is currently £20 in Asda. I'm no expert but it is a very nice smooth whiskey.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Talisker
    Highland Park

Depends who it's for, but those would be my pick of the ones that most whisky drinkers will happily drink. The likes of Lagavulin and Laphroaig are a little more of an acquired taste. A lot of the "Glen Something-Or-Others" I find a little ordinary (Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie etc)

Macallan Select Oak is very good - but probably more than 40 quid, and near impossible to get now anyway. May have been duty free only..

ETA: Just seen its for your Mum. Talisker = top pick!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Anonymous
    Those are all Scottish...

See what's in her cabinet and go from there?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Like asking for a wine. There is a world of difference between a mild Speyside and a Laphroig.
    Clues to peatyness are required.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Bushmills 8 year old, although it's Irish.
    Glenfarclas is good - not too peaty. Not keen on the peaty stuff.

TBH. Got converted to Vodka whilst in Sweden. You know the difference in the morning.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Anonymous
    Bruichladdich
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    for me Id say Talisker, but I know some of my friends find even that can be far too peaty.

Adnams do a good whisky http://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk/ca ... or-5-years?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Tormore 12 year old is super light and glenfiddich 12 yo has been a best seller for years for good reason.

Both are around £30

Unless you know your moms taste I'd steer clear of the heavier peat whiskies as they're not that easy drinking.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Slightly over budget but Auchentoshan Three Wood is one of the smoothest whiskies available.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Lagavulin is my favourite, but you need to like the peaty Islay type malts.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    My favourite is Tobermory 10 yr old. That's just in on your budget. It's quite pale and not too peaty.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Have a look at Jura. They do several different ones from the easy drinking Origin through to more complex ones like Superstition and Prophecy. They're currently doing them in nice presentation tins so make a good gift.

Talisker Skye is currently 25 quid down from 38 in Morrisons which is a good price.

If you want something smoother than the West coast ones then consider Dalwhinnie or Glenfarclas.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    And avoid that Haig Club David Beckham nonsense. Absolute rubbish.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    The taste of whisky is such a personal thing, that nobody should be able to just recommend, big difference between the tastes of highlands and islands whisky. Personally I prefer an arbelour whisky, not a fan of the 'generally' peaty/smokey island whiskies.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    MrB123 wrote:
    Have a look at Jura. They do several different ones from the easy drinking Origin through to more complex ones like Superstition and Prophecy. They're currently doing them in nice presentation tins so make a good gift.

Talisker Skye is currently 25 quid down from 38 in Morrisons which is a good price.

If you want something smoother than the West coast ones then consider Dalwhinnie or Glenfarclas.

Superstition is great stuff
  • Slightly over your budget (c£46) I recommend Aberlour A'bunadh.

However, I strongly recommend Master of Malt. They have some great deals and a fantastic selection. They also deliver quickly.
  • bianchimoon
    :wink:http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foo ... 76683.html
    might come in useful "how to inhale whisky using a bike pump'
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Another vote for Highland Park from Orkney.

A few years back organised a Burns' Night do at home, couples, several ladies who professed to not like whisky.

Had a range, Speyside, Islay but the clear favourite with the ladeez was Highland Park.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I know you said Scottish, but how about making a point of deliberately going exotic?
    Hibiki is Japanese, and the 12 year old is around the £40 mark. Very pretty bottle too. :wink:
    (For anyone on here, not particularly your mum) it is a blend, but surprisingly smooth, with no hint of harshness to it. Very drinkable. I had never heard of it, and got it as a present, but it didn't last long. :oops:

As has been mentioned though, whisky is a very personal taste and having tried many of the ones named above, I find my favourites change over the years. (How people can drink some of the paint strippers that they love, is beyond me? By the way whisky doesn't remove paint from brushes! I tried it once when I won a bottle of Bells and I couldn't give it away! )
  • Anonymous
    The Hibiki 12 is pretty hard to buy. I managed to get a couple of bottles as I have a friend who works in the industry. I did a quick google and they are selling for over £200 now!

That said, Japanese is luvvverly.
  • bianchimoon
    Pituophis wrote:
    I know you said Scottish, but how about making a point of deliberately going exotic?
    Hibiki is Japanese, and the 12 year old is around the £40 mark. Very pretty bottle too. :wink:
    (For anyone on here, not particularly your mum) it is a blend, but surprisingly smooth, with no hint of harshness to it. Very drinkable. I had never heard of it, and got it as a present, but it didn't last long. :oops:

As has been mentioned though, whisky is a very personal taste and having tried many of the ones named above, I find my favourites change over the years. (How people can drink some of the paint strippers that they love, is beyond me? By the way whisky doesn't remove paint from brushes! I tried it once when I won a bottle of Bells and I couldn't give it away! )
    haha, spill the beans and name and shame the paint strippers! :)
  • mr_goo
    Pituophis wrote:

Teachers has to be the most vile whiskey I've had.
    The only blended stuff I find palatable is Chivas Regal.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The Famous Grouse used to meet general approval with the student population in Glasgow. Last century ((maybe the one before that come to think..)) We used to drink it with Drambuie and called it a Dramski. For convenience it was best drunk in a pub close to an A&E dept.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • haydenm
    This is a surprisingly good blend but I only bought it because the shop is next to the place I get my bacon roll from when I'm there for work. I couldn't tell it's a blend but then I don't know enough about it, my collection consists of things I remember I've liked in pubs and ones I get as Christmas presents at work

https://www.whiskyshop.com/the-loch-fyne-blend
  • bianchimoon
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Teachers has to be the most vile whiskey I've had.
    The only blended stuff I find palatable is Chivas Regal.
    agreed, could never understand that Jack Daniels malarkey... or anything you have to put a mixer in to make palatable
  • haydenm
    A friend of mine brought some honey flavoured Jack Daniels to my house last week, we've not been students for a good few years so I have no idea why he still thinks that is acceptable. Needless to say I mocked him for a good few minutes, then we drank it all with coke and nearly died of sugar rush
  • bianchimoon
    HaydenM wrote:
    A friend of mine brought some honey flavoured Jack Daniels to my house last week, we've not been students for a good few years so I have no idea why he still thinks that is acceptable. Needless to say I mocked him for a good few minutes, then we drank it all with coke and nearly died of sugar rush
    :D:D:D