Moving to Spain for the winter

baroid
baroid Posts: 87
edited July 2017 in Tour & expedition
Hi
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes. My wife and I are thinking of escaping part of the winter and looking to go to the South of Spain for between 4 to 8 weeks from mid-January. Can anyone recommend an area where there are road cycling groups that go out about 3 or 4 times a week doing about 50 to 60 miles. My wife doesn’t cycle so would prefer to be on the coast in a decent sized resort. We would drive down so would have a use of a car to explore the area when not cycling.

Have considered Girona but doesn’t seem warm enough at that time of year.

Also what is the best place to start looking for accommodation as 4 to 8 weeks isn’t considered a long let but weekly holiday rentals would be too expensive. Our accommodation budget is £500 to £600 per month.

Not sure if it is relevant but I will be 65 and have lived abroad before.

Thanks
Phil

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Have you considered the Costa Blanca? Or you could stick your car on the ferry to Mallorca.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    Good cycling around Denia. Although I've never been out with group I'm sure there are one or two in the area. There are a few cafes around that can arrange rides too.
  • baroid
    Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking at Denia any one else have experience of this area and also accommodation?

Thanks
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    Accomodation is easy enough to get through usual online channels, I've had a number of self catering apartments over the last few years. Less than 20 sleeps til I'm out there again.
  • baroid
    Hi TwoToeBenny.
    How long you going out there for? Where do you stay?

Enjoy your cycling.
  • About a dozen of my friends take their camper vans to Almeria (just a few miles west of the city) and keep posting photos of them sitting outside or in a bar by the beach. The temperature seems to be in the high teens most days. I'm thinking of joining them for a few weeks next winter.

None of them are cyclists, so no idea about local riding conditions, but I'll be taking a bike if I go.
  • Baroid wrote:
    Hi
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes. My wife and I are thinking of escaping part of the winter and looking to go to the South of Spain for between 4 to 8 weeks from mid-January. Can anyone recommend an area where there are road cycling groups that go out about 3 or 4 times a week doing about 50 to 60 miles. My wife doesn’t cycle so would prefer to be on the coast in a decent sized resort. We would drive down so would have a use of a car to explore the area when not cycling.

Have considered Girona but doesn’t seem warm enough at that time of year.

Also what is the best place to start looking for accommodation as 4 to 8 weeks isn’t considered a long let but weekly holiday rentals would be too expensive. Our accommodation budget is £500 to £600 per month.

Not sure if it is relevant but I will be 65 and have lived abroad before.

Thanks
    Phil
    Hi, I run a self catering casita (cottage) for 2+1 In southern Catalonia, close to the Ebro Delta. The area is good for cycling with some great rides from our base. Drop off and pick ups can be arranged. The winter weather I would say is perfect for cycling apart from when it rains and then it buckets it down. Please read all at http://www.self-catering-spain.uk