Build idea: Mixing road, CX and mtb

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
The brief.
The other half wants to get away from cars onto light trails, think Richmond Park outer.
Currently rides a step-through single speed with riser bars. Needs some gear range.
Female specific off the peg hybrids are drab. Won't be doing chain gangs or pushing along at 25mph+.

I want to pull together the speed of a road bike, the clearance of CX, the cockpit from a mtb, retain some single speed simplicity and create something fun. It's overkill but I like a project and mixing stuff up (see fixie with a disc brake).

Questions;
Framesets I've found so far.
Cotic Roadrat (£350)
PX full monty (£150)
Sonder Camino alloy (£300)

Others? Will flat bars ruin geometry and handling?

Gearing: 1x11 - entry level APEX1 is heavier than 2x11 offerings.
What about a home brew 1x11 (or 1x10) with a regular cassette (11-28) and a 40-44t front? Enough range without the added weight and cheaper(?).

Wheels: If she is going with say a 49cm frameset, should I look at 650b wheels?

Brakes: Deore M615, good budget hydro option?

Comments

• xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    Are you sure the Planetx full monty is a frame set when i read it looked like the fork was a separate purchase though admittedly the wording is confusing at best.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm using a Planet-X London Road frame as a flat bar hybrid, it's only slightly different to the FM frame.

If you get a drop bar frame you'll often need to go up a size or two to get the ETT right for flats as on drops you hold the bars in front of the stem mounting rather than level/slightly behind on flats, if it's designed for an inline seatpost you can use a setback as well to gain an extra 20mm or so, did all that to get my LR to the right size for me (all planned before purchase). Of course women tend to be longer of leg and shorter of torso than men so may be less of an issue for your build.

I'd go 1x10 gearing possibly with an MTB cassette (11-34/11-36 or even 11-40) rather than use a low end 1x11, as you say they are very heavy, I'd look for lower cost good used parts if you can, I prefer inherent quality (and lightness) over newness!

I'd stick with 29/700c wheels for the larger choice of road/CX/mtb tyres you'll get.

Excellent brake option, relatively cheap as well, downside is they are a bit heavy.

Also consider a decent 29er hardtail frame with XC geometry as a basis.

Gearing wise my Hybrid uses a compact road crankset (110mm BCD) and a narrow wide chainring, personally I'd be looking at a circa 40T as I think a 44T (which is wht I use) would be a bit tall with 29er tyres and using off tarmac.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sounds like what I created with my (now departed) Condor Bivio X.

I had it running 1 x 10 Shimano SLX 11-36 with a 42t up front and SLX brakes (which are incredible).

It went everywhere and did everything.

That said, I used my SuperX on some gnarly stuff yesterday (sorry for the use of gnarly) with deep mud, shale, snow, ice, slush and biblical plagues and it was at least equal if not better.

I'd not overthink it really. 1 x 10 plus shimano hydro brakes and decent clearance. I'd try, if you can, to get more clearance than a CX so you can stick stuff like Surly knard and WTB Nano 40c etc in there.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • iPete
    The Rookie wrote:
    If you get a drop bar frame you'll often need to go up a size or two to get the ETT right for flats as on drops you hold the bars in front of the stem mounting rather than level/slightly behind on flats, if it's designed for an inline seatpost you can use a setback as well to gain an extra 20mm or so, did all that to get my LR to the right size for me (all planned before purchase). Of course women tend to be longer of leg and shorter of torso than men so may be less of an issue for your build.

Great insights all, especially the above. Will spec up around 10 speed with a 40t ring. Are there particular chain rings (suspect from the SRAM 1x world) that suit a single ring up front? And prevent it jumping off, if that is such an issue?

If I build this I'm going to be massively jealous :evil:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    edited November 2016
    iPete wrote:
    Wheels: If she is going with say a 49cm frameset, should I look at 650b wheels?
    Neighbour's Mrs has a Surly Somethingorother* with 650b wheels. Has Surly Knard 41mm tyres on it. Hers is set up with drop bars but I'm sure you could build a flat bar version. Probably not particularly light, but she absolutely loves it. Commutes to Brentford from Kingston on the park trail and towpaths.

* not sure of the real name but could find out.

ETA: found it: Surly Straggler
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    iPete wrote:
    Are there particular chain rings (suspect from the SRAM 1x world) that suit a single ring up front? And prevent it jumping off, if that is such an issue?

If I build this I'm going to be massively jealous :evil:
    Look at the MTB side. Lots of people convert from double to single and bash guard and use a narrow/wide ring which helps chain retention.
  • I built this for my wife last year... clearance is up to 35 mm... components are XT... spent less than 500 quid without the saddle and the wheels

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13059193&p=19807811&hilit=kaffenback#p19807811
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    iPete wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Great insights all, especially the above. Will spec up around 10 speed with a 40t ring. Are there particular chain rings (suspect from the SRAM 1x world) that suit a single ring up front? And prevent it jumping off, if that is such an issue?
    If you don't use a retaining ring (or chain device) the chain can just jump off during normal shifting (been there, done that), I'm using a J&L chainring off ebay, reasonable quality, fairly light and works well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Narrow-Wi ... dcaMM1Iu7A
    In my case its mounted to a Truvativ Rouleur crankset (cheap as no-one likes GXP) running in a reliable Shimano HT2 BB (from my justin box) using a J&L adaptor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    I built this for my wife last year... clearance is up to 35 mm... components are XT... spent less than 500 quid without the saddle and the wheels

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13059193&p=19807811&hilit=kaffenback#p19807811

Excellent, will take a closer look later. Tempted by the all black frame, can attack it with a spray can.
    The Rookie wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

If you don't use a retaining ring (or chain device) the chain can just jump off during normal shifting (been there, done that), I'm using a J&L chainring off ebay, reasonable quality, fairly light and works well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Narrow-Wi ... dcaMM1Iu7A
    In my case its mounted to a Truvativ Rouleur crankset (cheap as no-one likes GXP) running in a reliable Shimano HT2 BB (from my justin box) using a J&L adaptor.

Thanks, tempted by a SRAM Rival1 chainset, if only so she can borrow my Stages PM if feeling keen and the above looks like a great option to get the same for much less outlay.