Fizik R1 Uomo cycling shoes

actusreus
actusreus Posts: 51
edited November 2016 in Road general
This is my first pair of cycling shoes in that price range, and after I tired to clip them into my Shimano Dura Ace pedals, they kept popping right out. After I experimented with the angle of the cleats, I managed to get them to clip in, but they clip in with a low click that doesn't inspire confidence. All my other cycling shoes clip in with a loud and confident click. I took them for a 55 mile ride today and they worked fine, but I wanted to pose this question to all of you whether it's "normal" for some cycling shoes to clip in with barely making any sound.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Blame the cleats, not the shoes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The cleats are the same I used with my previous shoes. It's not the cleats.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I had the issue to a certain extent with my Sidi shoes. I moved over to speedplay and not had any problems clipping in on them with any shoe.
  • actusreus wrote:
    The cleats are the same I used with my previous shoes. It's not the cleats.

Does tightening the cleats distort them?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    actusreus wrote:
    AFAIK the shoes merely hold the cleats, they do not interface with the pedals.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    actusreus wrote:

If you've ever tried fitting cleats to a small pair of shoes (size 4 ladies, for instance) you might (depending on the shoe) have found out that some shoes are better at "merely holding the cleats" than others. I know I had to shim between the cleats and the sole to get them to even fit - the curvature of the sole was too great to accept the cleat without.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    actusreus wrote:

If you've ever tried fitting cleats to a small pair of shoes (size 4 ladies, for instance) you might (depending on the shoe) have found out that some shoes are better at "merely holding the cleats" than others. I know I had to shim between the cleats and the sole to get them to even fit - the curvature of the sole was too great to accept the cleat without.
    The answer to that is simply, no, I have not. Are you suggesting that actusreus has small feet? :wink:
    PS - Wouldn't the curvature take the sole away from the cleat and pedal?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    The answer to that is simply, no, I have not. Are you suggesting that actusreus has small feet? :wink:

I've no idea about the OP's feet :lol:

Yes it does - but if you tighten the cleat, you distort it. I have some Fizik shoes (bought when they were stupidly cheap - I don't much like them) and the soles are pretty odd (at least for my feet).

And I'm surprised by how sensitive pedals are to cleats - I bought some Boardman SPD cleats a while back and, although they looked identical to Shimano (and claimed to be compatible) they almost completely refused to clip in. Swapped to Shimano and they were perfect.
  • I think it may indeed be the combination of the shape of the sole plus the stiffness of it. The carbon fibre sole is supposed to be very stiff, and I wonder if tightening the cleats causes them to deform enough to prevent them from clipping in to the same extent as with other shoes.

The shoes are size 45.5, by the way :)
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Have you adjusted the spring tension in the back of the pedal?
  • Update: My girlfriend bought a pair of the Fizik R5 shoes today and is having exactly the same problem! Hers are size 38.5 and mine are 45.5, and we're experiencing the same issue on two different bikes and pedals. Mine are the Shimano Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals, and hers are the Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL. It's hard for me to believe this is not a more encountered and reported problem with Fizik shoes. Clearly this is not a coincidence.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've got the Fizik R3bs and they are fine.
    Have no issues with the fitment, adjustment or use of shimano cleats.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    I've got the Fizik R3bs and they are fine.
    Have no issues with the fitment, adjustment or use of shimano cleats.

Then how do you explain this? There are also comments on competitive cyclist reporting this problem. Even if you look at the Fizik sole, it appears to be rounder than my old Scotts for example.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    PBlakeney wrote:

I've no idea about the OP's feet :lol:

Yes it does - but if you tighten the cleat, you distort it. I have some Fizik shoes (bought when they were stupidly cheap - I don't much like them) and the soles are pretty odd (at least for my feet).

And I'm surprised by how sensitive pedals are to cleats - I bought some Boardman SPD cleats a while back and, although they looked identical to Shimano (and claimed to be compatible) they almost completely refused to clip in. Swapped to Shimano and they were perfect.

I bought some Fizik shoes from Planet x about 3 years ago for about 50 quid which was very cheap. They had a strange insole that seemed to have an over padded arch area. I got used to them though.