edited November 2016 in Road general

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I think its excellent if you race or do triathlons

Quite useful to know whos bike is whose in the transition area or pit
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to think they were for twits, now perhaps not so bad.

Not for me though.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Kids love 'em - makes them feel pro. For everyone else, unless you're in a team and you need to pull a spare bike off the roof of the team car, then they're really just for show.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I've got one on my bike. Love it, just a bit of fun
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are they ok to put on carbon frames ? Will they affect the paint / lacquer finish ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Are they ok to put on carbon frames ? Will they affect the paint / lacquer finish ?

Carbon frames are generally painted with exactly the same kind of paint/clear coat as frames made of any other material. Another clue would be watching the TdF on telly, where practically every carbon frame in the race has a name sticker on it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I bought some on a whim 2 or 3 years ago, in a colour scheme that matched the bike. They looked great for a while, a nice customisation and a bit of discrete personalisation. One came adrift due to its positioning, the other faded and clung to dirt like nothing else so instead of being a discrete name + flag it stood as the only mucky bit on the bike, so not so long ago I peeled it off and binned it. In all the time I rode it or parked it in my office not one person pointed at it and asked about it.

Nice idea, only a few quid, why not?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you have a common bike and do events, finding it among the hoards of lookalikes on the rail in the holding area can sometimes be embarrassing when you life the wrong bike. A discrete name tag soon sorts it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    No, They eventually become the strongest part of the frame once it rains

:lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well no one will steal your bike if it has your name on it - so it is a fantastic security measure. FACT.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I used to write my name on the bike with nail varnish , now have some of these stickers. My main reason is that I can never remember names of other riders I am supposed to know, so hope they will display their names too. And all the other reasons.
    I add my ctc number so I can fill in audax forms in a hurry .
    After sticking them on I cover with 2 or 3 coats of clear nail varnish( no guarantee yours will survive that) or some helicopter tape
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The extra weight of the stickers will effect the handling. I would avoid any long descents.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Webboo wrote:
    The extra weight of the stickers will effect the handling. I would avoid any long descents.

yep. they also affect the aeros and weight distribution.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Instead of putting your name on the sticker it would quite good to put more useful things on there like "don't forget your keys" and "did you lock the back door" or maybe your wifes name and birthday ... stuff that is handy to remember before you set off
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    My top tube sticker says Powered by Fairy Dust, to match the sticker on the back of my Vauxhall Corsa.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I changed my name by deed poll to Ribble. Much cheaper than buying those stickers.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Beatmaker wrote:
    My top tube sticker says Powered by Fairy Dust, to match the sticker on the back of my Vauxhall Corsa.

Are you using the eyelashes as mudguards?
  • If you take your frame for a respray with a good framebuilder/paint shop, they can do a proper decal for you. I have two frames with Mercian at the moment... The pros have stickers to help the mechanics.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Gimpl wrote:
    I've got one on my bike. Love it, just a bit of fun

Me too, or should that be me two? (cos I put one on each side) :P
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I changed my name by deed poll to Ribble. Much cheaper than buying those stickers.
    What a coincidence, deed poll name change for me too!

Regards,

Kona Stinky
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill