Galibier to Alpe D'Huez

quarkrad
quarkrad Posts: 51
edited March 2017 in Tour & expedition
Some friends have asked me organise a ride for them next year, I'm thinking of going from St Michel de Maurienne to the top of Alpe D'Huez via the Galibier. I know it is about 52 miles but does any body know of a good resource that details things like the amount of climbing, downhill and flat/rolling between these two points? Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've done the Telegraphen (the climb from StMdeM and the Alpe seperately but not on the same ride.

You'd also need to do the Galibier which is twice as much climbling as the telegraphe.

Oh the Galibier was closed in July with Snow...

Its not an easy route. Are they experienced ? Or is it a head count reduction ?
  • Up for 12 km, down for 5km, up for 18km, down for 16km, flat for 5km then up the alpe for 14km.

Approx. And that was the old road layout. Not much flat, but it's beautiful.
  • Thank you both - exactly what I need. I have done this ride (but not in this order) as part of a longer ride - the others going are not that experienced. Fortunately we are going to have a following vehicle so on the basis they want to ride up 'one of these things' my plan is to see how we go re the Galibier. If at that point its time to stop we can - if not we have the option to go on to Huez. The other option is to go up the Croix de Fer and than all the way down to Huez.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    quarkrad wrote:
    Thank you both - exactly what I need. I have done this ride (but not in this order) as part of a longer ride - the others going are not that experienced. Fortunately we are going to have a following vehicle so on the basis they want to ride up 'one of these things' my plan is to see how we go re the Galibier. If at that point its time to stop we can - if not we have the option to go on to Huez. The other option is to go up the Croix de Fer and than all the way down to Huez.

Croix der Fer would be my preferred route, maybe via the Mollard. Not as many motorbikes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    For me it'd be Galibier route and the only regret would be missing the CdF descent to Bourg. In terms of climbing though the Galibier is better than the Mollard/CdF by a distance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Thanks De Vlaeminck - did you do that all the way in the big ring?
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Plot the route on something like www.ridewithgps.com. That will give elevation and gradient info, and can be exported to a sat-nav
  • +1 on using RWGPS. That'll give you a gradient profile and total number of metres of climbing.
  • For me it'd be Galibier route and the only regret would be missing the CdF descent to Bourg. In terms of climbing though the Galibier is better than the Mollard/CdF by a distance.

What is the descent from Lautaret like now?
  • DeVlaeminck
    quarkrad wrote:
    Thanks De Vlaeminck - did you do that all the way in the big ring?

No.
  • DeVlaeminck
    For me it'd be Galibier route and the only regret would be missing the CdF descent to Bourg. In terms of climbing though the Galibier is better than the Mollard/CdF by a distance.

Since the tunnel collapse? I haven't been since - might be a bit less traffic do you think?
  • For me it'd be Galibier route and the only regret would be missing the CdF descent to Bourg. In terms of climbing though the Galibier is better than the Mollard/CdF by a distance.

Since the tunnel collapse? I haven't been since - might be a bit less traffic do you think?

Only done it once, just found it a beautiful descent - but I don't know where the new road goes.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I rode from Borug to the top of Galibier and back in June. The temporary road around the lake is excellent, puts many UK roads to shame. The traffic was very light.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    The tunnel has reopened, I don't know if the temporary road will still be open next summer, the terrain is prone to landslides.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I was told last summer while in the area that that it is a priority project to be completed asap,even the top French ministers have gotten involved in it to make sure it gets done,by getting their rear ends kicked from people above,anyway as for the route I have done both climbs but not on the same day, the Telegraphe/Galibier I found pretty tough especially the last 8km,but I reckon I could do both if I took on some decent food along the way,I'm not light either at 14.5st and in my early 40's
  • Chambon tunnel will only be open up to Marts see link https://www.isere.fr/actualites/le-gran ... du-chambon
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    that's a large chunk of the marmotte route, the service road is as has been said already excellent but does mean no more super longer galibier to ADH dash.

amazing views just don't get fixed on the horizon as you climb galibier, last year there was a temporary tunnel just before the summit due to damaged roads which is a shame as its a beautiful view. I'll be back this year for more of the same
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's not an easy undertaking. I do hope the friends know what they are letting themselevs in for.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    steady pace stop at the town just over the summit of galibier it'll be fine
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.