What to do about pockets

2»

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,847
    25 litre daysac. You will get everything in plus have spare room for a trip to Tesco on the way home.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ridea10 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    End of discussion.

Ya got that right. That's hitting the nail on the head.

He says 2 pages and multiple other suggestions later..... :roll:

...... about the third reply :roll: :roll:

He was right, he got it right, it should have ended there.

Just pi55 back off to MTB rather than be a d1ck about road biking.

Discuss!!?? We don't fricken need to, its you that needs help 8)
  • craker wrote:
    Lost my phone out of my back pocket a month or so ago.

Cheap top (loose pockets) fixed gear @ high cadence (I was bumping around a bit) and the thing pinged out into the middle of the road to be immediately squashed by a 4 x 4.

:-(

One less mobile phone in the world, can't be a bad thing.
  • Just put it all in the team car.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Carbonator wrote:
    Ridea10 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    End of discussion.

Carbonator and Imposter, the guy was just asking a question. What's so wrong about that? The answer may be obvious to you guys, but some helpful responses showed him that people carry things in different ways. He has now learned from the responses that open pockets are safe to carry things, and there are options like a small saddle bag or tool bottle.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carbonator and Imposter, the guy was just asking a question. What's so wrong about that? The answer may be obvious to you guys, but some helpful responses showed him that people carry things in different ways. He has now learned from the responses that open pockets are safe to carry things, and there are options like a small saddle bag or tool bottle.

Not sure why you're calling me out there. My comment was simply to suggest that the guy who posted immediately before me (fypo) had nailed it and there was nothing more to add.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Ridea10 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    End of discussion.

Whoa someone's spent too much time behind a keyboard. I'd love to 'expletive off back to MTB' but unfortunately I've tried and it turns out it's just a type of bike - you can't go there. What do you know!

Anyway it's all two wheels maaaan stop being so discriminative. For what it's worth I'm sorry that I insulted the lack of pockets in your shorts. That was rude of me.

For those that have provided some good points and interesting articles. Very helpful. I even laughed out loud at the illuminati list, some things that transcend all things two wheeled. And that's what it's all about really isn't it, riding your bike.

Let's end it there before someone blows a gasket
  • Anonymous
    'Lycra clad malarkey'
    'Pocketless contraptions'

That's not 'just asking a question' in my book.

Just ask a question without stupid terms and the people you are asking might not take offence.

If you think there is something odd about road cycle clothing, either don't wear it, or don't do it.

As for commanding people to 'discuss''!
    That's plain rude and the sign of a c0ck IMO.
  • ForumNewbie
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure why you're calling me out there. My comment was simply to suggest that the guy who posted immediately before me (fypo) had nailed it and there was nothing more to add.
    Okay Imposter, I know you like to get to the point in these threads, but it did seem a bit rude like you were indicating that the OP was wasting everyone's time, but I don't think it was a stupid question for a beginner to road cycling.
  • Okay Imposter, I know you like to get to the point in these threads, but it did seem a bit rude like you were indicating that the OP was wasting everyone's time, but I don't think it was a stupid question for a beginner to road cycling.

Ah - the mistake you've made is thinking that it's OK for people to post what they're interested in. Instead you have to get the blessing of a few folk on here. The OP forgot to ask if it's OK. Schoolboy error.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Okay Imposter, I know you like to get to the point in these threads, but it did seem a bit rude like you were indicating that the OP was wasting everyone's time, but I don't think it was a stupid question for a beginner to road cycling.

You clearly read a lot of stuff into my post which wasn't actually there. Pockets though, come on, there have been pockets on jerseys for generations, let's be honest.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Seriously, you got 3000 plus posts on fancy Russian bears an tues an their talking about the daily mail still for gawd knows how many pages an someone asks a question in a light hearted manner an it's like wtf are you posting that for, maybe chill a bit
  • Anonymous
    Remember 'cannondaleboss'?

I just think if you act in an arsey way (or light hearted if you prefer) on a forum then you will get a range (some of them arsey) of replies.

Is it really so difficult to just ask a question nicely, and accept the answers you get a little more gracefully?
  • When the first (and "arsey") response is from the same guy that starts a thread about whether wet leaves are slippery (probably is his own uniquely inane attempt at humour) it just goes to show what this forum is like.

Vapid one-liners are OK provided you're in the gang.

The OP, a newbie to road cycling, just wanted to know what people do
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,861
    When the first (and "arsey") response is from the same guy that starts a thread about whether wet leaves are slippery (probably is his own uniquely inane attempt at humour) it just goes to show what this forum is like.

And got a fully concise answer in the second response.
    Everything since is just fluff and nonsense.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    When the first (and "arsey") response is from the same guy that starts a thread about whether wet leaves are slippery (probably is his own uniquely inane attempt at humour) it just goes to show what this forum is like.

Well, you could say that about 95% of the threads on here. Take the "slippery leaves" thread. First answer is yes. Close the thread?

There's nothing anywhere that says anybody HAS to read a thread - less still, respond. If you think a thread is stupid, don't respond and don't go back - it's not hard. Unpopular threads will just wither on the vine. Where's the big deal?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,861
    PBlakeney wrote:

Well, you could say that about 95% of the threads on here. Take the "slippery leaves" thread. First answer is yes. Close the thread?

There's nothing anywhere that says anybody HAS to read a thread - less still, respond. If you think a thread is stupid, don't respond and don't go back - it's not hard. Unpopular threads will just wither on the vine. Where's the big deal?
    No big deal. I like fluff and nonsense.
    But if someone is seriously looking for an answer, then yes, you may as well close the thread.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

The post was not correctly answered until the 34th reply.
  • ForumNewbie
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

You clearly read a lot of stuff into my post which wasn't actually there. Pockets though, come on, there have been pockets on jerseys for generations, let's be honest.
    Maybe I did read more into it, but I think it was at least implied that you were not happy for the thread to be carried on, despite the fact that there may have been other people wanting to add some thoughts.

I asked a similar question recently about carrying an expensive mobile phone in an open pocket and I got some similar arsy responses as well as some genuine advice as to what other people do. Since then the jerseys and jackets I have bought recently have big enough zipped pockets to take a large mobile, so I prefer to keep my phone, cards and cash in there, but appreciate others are happy to keep such things in open pockets.
  • a thread about whether wet leaves are slippery

If that thread saves one road beginner from crashing then i'm sure its more valid than anything you've posted.

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    cougie wrote:
    35 years cycling. Never lost anything from a back pocket. Gravity is a wonderful thing.

Not been riding near as long but this, I'm yet to find anyone riding upside down which is the only way I can see you loosing stuff as you lean over the fabric becomes taught basically closing it anyway.
    If they had zips I would leave them undone. I ride with little soreen bars in my back left pocket, a fastener on the pocket is adding extra faff. I wore a DHB one I have yesterday which has a handy little zipper pocket great for holding cash or cards in.
    Just remember to put said cards back in your wallet or youll end up like me realising you put them down so tonight I have the joyus "wheres my bank card" game.
  • a thread about whether wet leaves are slippery

If that thread saves one road beginner from crashing then i'm sure its more valid than anything you've posted.

HTH

UTFS
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Carbonator wrote:
    Is it really so difficult to just ask a question nicely, and accept the answers you get a little more gracefully?

No, it's not difficult at all. Just not much fun. I mean seriously, "What to do about pockets"? Could be top 10 on "The dumbest questions ever list". Anyway you look at it it's pretty lame. Well, that wasn't very graceful was it? :?
  • dennisn wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

No, it's not difficult at all. Just not much fun. I mean seriously, "What to do about pockets"? Could be top 10 on "The dumbest questions ever list". Anyway you look at it it's pretty lame. Well, that wasn't very graceful was it? :?

99% of respondents knew it was a wind-up Dennis, just a few slow on the uptake I reckon.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ForumNewbie

Agree, I just looked at the 'slippery leaves' thread. That did seem like a much more pointless thread than this one.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I only looked at as I thought somehow Bikeradar had merged into UKClimbing and it was going to be a question about front two or middle two when pulling on two finger pockets.
  • If only there was some way to stop the thread from keeping on rising to the top of the list.
  • If only there was some way to stop the thread from keeping on rising to the top of the list.
    :D