Honours Project Research

Jhinton26
Jhinton26 Posts: 2
edited November 2016 in MTB general
Hi Guys!

I am a fourth year product design student studying at the University of Dundee, in the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design.
My final year project is creating a product that will help mountain bikers carrying their bikes on their shoulders up steep and narrow sections of trail, a harness of some sort that will help take the pressure of the shoulders and allow the user to also have both hands free to help with safety and balance.
I would really appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to fill out the survey I have put the link to at the bottom!

https://jackhinton.typeform.com/to/hQ6MGj

Cheers, Jack.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dreadful survey assumes that everyone has had this problem. I got bored of answering irrelevant questions after answering no to whether it had been a problem for me.
    You've created a solution to a problem which doesn't exist. It's so rarely an issue that very few people would be interested in a product for this purpose.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Don't listen to RockmonkeySC, he's on his period again.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I gave up when it asked whether I have a HT or FS.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Once me and my friend decided to go for a trip. After a few killer climbs in the local woods, we descended into a small town. Had a beer and a sausage with no mustard cause they didn't have any, sadly. Then we headed out into the nearby fields, hoping to avoid main road. As we were progressing further and further, the terrain was becoming more and more difficult to pass through, even on foot. But as stubborn as we were, we continued pressing on. In the end, we ended up having to carry our bikes through 2-3km of dry rape field (you heard that right) before getting back onto a rideable terrain. We made it home, I got a thorn into my tire but it was alright until I got home (found out about it later that day when I came to pick stuff from my bike).

inb4 pics or it didn't happen, pic of my friend carrying his bike through dry rape
    omIuzoP.jpg

The point of this is, neither of us cared about a bike carrying thingy, we just wanted to get the hell out of that field.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Once me and my friend decided to go for a trip. After a few killer climbs in the local woods, we descended into a small town. Had a beer and a sausage with no mustard cause they didn't have any, sadly. Then we headed out into the nearby fields, hoping to avoid main road. As we were progressing further and further, the terrain was becoming more and more difficult to pass through, even on foot. But as stubborn as we were, we continued pressing on. In the end, we ended up having to carry our bikes through 2-3km of dry rape field (you heard that right) before getting back onto a rideable terrain. We made it home, I got a thorn into my tire but it was alright until I got home (found out about it later that day when I came to pick stuff from my bike).

inb4 pics or it didn't happen, pic of my friend carrying his bike through dry rape
    omIuzoP.jpg

The point of this is, neither of us cared about a bike carrying thingy, we just wanted to get the hell out of that field.

Why did they not have any mustard. Did you not phone in advance to check if they had it? Got a probnlem with carrying your own condiment set? Did the field really rape you?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    You've created a solution to a problem which doesn't exist..

you are missing what the problem and solution actually are

Problem - need to come up with a project for my final year project to get a degree
    Solution - invent project showing research and development of a bike carrying device.

the solution could have been a project about anything .. a solar latte machine for the San Bushmen ?
  • FishFish wrote:
    Why did they not have any mustard. Did you not phone in advance to check if they had it? Got a probnlem with carrying your own condiment set? Did the field really rape you?

We got lost a bit in those woods and ended up in a completely different town. So we just bought some beer in this tinny shop and took them outside, trying to figure out where we need to go. It was weird as hell. First we had an old lady asking if we haven't seen her husband somewhere because he was supposed to be looking after some kids but wasn't. Then and older guy saw us sitting on a bench drinking beer and said "You guys are cyclists, right? Those your bikes?" And then invited us to an establishment just around the corner where they were letting people taste and then buy (if they wanted to) sausages. Few minutes later, that same lady came asking us about her husband as if she hadn't just five minutes ago.
    We wen't into said establishment, tried a few sausages, bought a couple each (literal couple) and what do you know... No mustard in this mutha.

About the rape field, well let's just say I felt that for a few days. Dry rape is a bit sharp. To my knowledge though, no actual raping occurred in the field on that particular day. We were mad as hell since about halfway in. There was a fence running through the middle of the field for no good reason and we had to go around. Then we tried about three times going to a spot that seemed to provide an exit, only to find out it doesn't and we need to either go back or further. Unfortunately, we kept going further. The whole rape field experience was rather unpleasant but we laugh every time we talk about it.

Oh and the whole thing is entertaining when you tell it in my native language, but english just gives it that one extra comedy point.