The Grand Tour

Redbaron1
Redbaron1 Posts: 116
edited December 2016 in The bottom bracket
Just watched the first episode. Anyone else?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    saving it for the weekend
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Saving it for later, even though I'm working at home... The whole family are keen to watch, like we all did with JC's TG, so it can be a Friday evening job.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Enjoyed it.

May want to add risk of spoilers to the title
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Are there Bomb Shells ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Didn't even know it had been on - one for Saturday eve methinks with some beer and a curry.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • May as well watch the repeats on Dave by the look of it
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • CiB
    Fenix wrote:
    Are there Bomb Shells ?
    Apparently even that's been handled by Clarkson. No spoilers, but a couple of reviews mentioned it. :wink:
  • fenix
    I am looking forward to it - especially after the carcrash that was Top Gear with Chris Evans this year. He just didnt get it.

Its very little about cars and more like watching three grumpy men dicking around in exotic locations.

I don't even know what engine size my car is.
  • Didn't even know it had been on - one for Saturday eve methinks with some beer and a curry.

You sir are living the dream.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • My general experiences are that people who overly obsess about cars are usually dicks.
  • CiB
    My general experiences are that people who overly obsess about cars are usually dicks.
    Quite, but equally watching three blokes in an entertaining 70+ minutes of quality tv that's loosely* based around cars is fun.

Watched it a few minutes ago; it's back. Lots of laughs, well made, fun and enjoyable to watch. Contrast & compare with Evans & co just not getting it and subjecting us [famille CiB] to two & a half successive Sunday nights sitting stony-faced watching his literal car-crash attempt at doing it cos he thought Top Gear was and is a car show.

I don't know where GT leaves the BBC & TG. They got rid of Clarkson, brought in some 'names' and it flopped massively. Now that Clarkson and more importantly the production team are back as GT, TG is gonna look even worse with the inevitable comparisons.

* The first GT was very car-based, as they wanted to reclaim the car show crown. The next one isn't; Wilman said that they wanted to follow that up with reclaiming their comedy crown.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I hadn't noticed the TG -> GT thing till just now.
    :oops:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I had to google what the grand tour was, I was disappointed it wasn't about cycling or at least renaissance italy, but then I had to google Chris Evans and Matt Leblanc to find out what that was but at least I was then relieved that I don't live in a country that is allowed access to Amazon Video, which to be honest sounds like a down market Blockbusters, but then again I don't own a television so perhaps it's not aimed at me :D

Anyone fancy giving me an appraisal of episode one once everyone has seen it or is it safe to assume it's just a bunch of blokes taking the pi55 out of americans and foreigners in general? :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • My general experiences are that people who overly obsess about cars are usually dicks.
    Highlight was the Mclaren 570 parked in the car park
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    PBlakeney wrote:

Is that intentional or just coincidence? Like the number plate?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pblakeney
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I'm guessing intentional. PS - Possible plot spoiler (but I doubt it) The best part was Clarkson pooing himself. Drifting sections were too long.
    Veronese68 wrote:

I sold the 570 and went back to a 911 Turbo.

My comment still stands.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I'm guessing intentional. PS - Possible plot spoiler (but I doubt it) The best part was Clarkson pooing himself. Drifting sections were too long.

What was that nonsense about all the guests dying? TBF it was on in the background and I wasn't paying too much attention.
  • pblakeney
    What was that nonsense about all the guests dying? TBF it was on in the background and I wasn't paying too much attention.
    Probably a dig at TG with no intention of having celebrity guests. Maybe.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fenix
    I enjoyed it but why go to California and not do anything but record in a tent?

Bit ofa wasted opportunity after the opening.

I hope they have more challenges as its a bit dull watching super cars drag racing on a track
  • Matthewfalle
    edited November 2016
    Watched it last night - it was alright: bits were like a rather average school panto written by the drama "a" level sixth formers, some bits were quite good (generally taking the mick out of May) and some were too long and pointless (describing the new track.

I'll watch it again but if it's all like that I won't be worried about missing an episode or two.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Someone who has a habit of hitting the nail on the head said "any male over the age of 14 who looks forward to watching TG needs to have a word with himself. That was before JC got sacked. Last week I saw a clip of the new series of JC in a reliant rolling it over. Christ.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    It made me laugh, it's irrelevance and characters are entertaining and as the first show it simply worked in pressing the reset button for revitalizing a tired format.

There were some obvious and not so obvious middle finger expressions to the BBC but on the whole I enjoyed it.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • fenix
    Motogull wrote:
    Someone who has a habit of hitting the nail on the head said "any male over the age of 14 who looks forward to watching TG needs to have a word with himself. That was before JC got sacked. Last week I saw a clip of the new series of JC in a reliant rolling it over. Christ.

So you've not watched it. But are quite happy to write it off and anyone else that likes it ? Whatever. I'm sure people don't get cycling either. Why would you even spend a minute commenting on something you'd not seen ? Nothing else to do ?

I'm sure there is a TG repeat on Dave you could always watch ? ;-)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My general experiences are that people who overly obsess about cars are usually dicks.

My comment still stands.
    You are Vtech AICMFP
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Started to watch this on Sunday afternoon, I think I saw the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes, I'm afraid that for the rest of it I was asleep.

I think that this was more due to the long walk in the morning, followed by Sunday lunch and drink, and settling down in a nice warm room; rather than the content of Grand Tour itself. What i did see I quite enjoyed, so I will make the effort of going back to it and staying awake :lol:

Did anyone else notice that at the beginning when the'd driven to that set and then JC made some comment about "pleasuring a horse" that the audience went largely silent? Up until then they'd been in quite good humour and laughing with the three.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Matthewfalle
    bompington wrote:

My comment still stands.
    You are Vtech AICMFP

AICMFP?

Can someone please translate.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • AICMFP = And I Claim My Five Pounds
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    AICMFP = And I Claim My Five Pounds

Just in case it needs more than that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud

I can recall wandering around a seaside town with my dad's copy of the Daily Mirror and saying that phrase to complete strangers as a 10 yr old :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Capt Slog wrote:
    AICMFP = And I Claim My Five Pounds

Just in case it needs more than that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud

I can recall wandering around a seaside town with my dad's copy of the Daily Mirror and saying that phrase to complete strangers as a 10 yr old :lol:
    Ah, such innocent times.