Rear Shifting Problem

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi all

I wonder if someone might help with a shifting issue.
I have tiagra 4600 on my caad x and I recently changed the cassette, chain, inner and outer cables. Since then the shifting is 90% okay but sometimes it doesn't want to shift up the block (to a lower gear) on 1 particular gear, halfway up the block. All the other gears are fine and it changes into all the smaller cogs.

Since I have a medium cage and a long cage I tried the other Rd and same problem.

So I have now changed the mech hanger and it shifts even better, except for that 1 gear which is always much slower to engage.

It's really frustrating when I'm riding and I slow my cadence slightly for the gear change and it doesn't go in, so then I'll need to push the sti until just before it clicks to get the change and by then I've lost all my momentum.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks, Andrew
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I had a similar issue on my MTB, it was a slightly bent mech hanger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Most likely a bent mech hanger. Call in to your LBS, it should take minutes to fix
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sometimes a wee bit more cable tension solves this sort of issue.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You say you changed the cables. Is it possible you cut the length of the outer cable too short? If you dont get a nice loop in the cable coming from the chainstay to the derailleur it can make shifting into the lower gears troublesome.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I'm going to assume that you have tried using the barrel adjuster to index the gears before riding the bike?