Garmin didn't log turbo ride?

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited November 2016 in Road general
I have a Garmin 510 edge with a HR strap and a Stages power meter, and on the road it works fine, i get good readings and never really see any drop out in signal, when I save the ride it saves as normal and I can upload to Garmin Connect.

I do not have the speed magnet on the wheel nor the cadence/speed sensor on the chainstay as the stages PM takes care of the power and cadence readings and for speed/distance I use the GPS.

I did a 60 minute fitness test on my new turbo last night, its my first ride on it so I assumed the headunit would just pick up the cadence/power/HR and I would get nil readings for speed/distance, so I got on pressed start and away i went, but when I stopped the ride at the end and pressed save, it didn't record it, well it had recorded 1.02 seconds of it and that was it?

What am i doing wrong, anyone else experienced this?

Bit gutted as the test was hard and I needed the figures from it, so I am going to have to do it again tomorrow evening instead of drinking a few cheeky beers after work (unless I do the test pished when i get home :lol: )
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Have you auto stop/start selected? If it's not seeing movement through GPS, it will assume you've stopped and stop recording. What does the data say about "elapsed time"?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Sounds like your answer right there!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • You need to set up a different profile on your Garmin for indoor, and for that it'll have the GPS switched off and record it correctly. It wasn't to know you're riding indoors, it just thinks you've stopped at the roadside.
  • JesseD
    Have you auto stop/start selected? If it's not seeing movement through GPS, it will assume you've stopped and stop recording. What does the data say about "elapsed time"?

I did check with a mate to see if this was the issue as I knew he was doing the same session as me last night and his settings had auto stop turned on but his recorded?

However this makes perfect sense to me as mine is also turned on so the Garmin would think it was not moving.
  • JesseD
    You need to set up a different profile on your Garmin for indoor, and for that it'll have the GPS switched off and record it correctly. It wasn't to know you're riding indoors, it just thinks you've stopped at the roadside.

I have now done this so hopefully this will sort the issue, thanks all!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I recommend using a speed sensor or it may go a bit haywire
  • Have you tried switching you GPS off?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • JesseD
    Corriordan/Sloppyschleckonds - I haven't but will try this evening and see if that makes a difference. I have set up a new profile for specific use on the turbo with auto stop turned off, so will try that and also try with GPS turned off.

Thanks
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, first thing I do before a turbo ride is switch off the GPS on my 500 (it auto switches on next time) and that seems to take care of everything. I don't have a speed sensor but it still works well as I just record cadence and HR. The only downside is that my weekly stats get impacted as it counts the time as time spent on a bike (even though it gets flagged as a "stationary trainer") but with zero mileage so my avg speed for the week tumbles...no big deal though, I can handle the teens :-)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    coriordan wrote:

If you turn gps off and auto-pause off then there's no issue doing turbo sessions with no speed sensor. You get zero distance obviously, but all the important data will be there.
    More problems but still living....
  • JesseD
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    but with zero mileage so my avg speed for the week tumbles...no big deal though, I can handle the teens :-)
    :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just edit the activity in Garmin Connect to give the activity a representative distance and average speed.
    More problems but still living....
  • JesseD
    amaferanga wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

If you turn gps off and auto-pause off then there's no issue doing turbo sessions with no speed sensor. You get zero distance obviously, but all the important data will be there.

Distance isn't important to me on the turbo, neither is speed as I will be working on HR/Power/Cadence goals, this approach should work for me then.

Booked another 60 mins of pain in for tomorrow (but will test this tonight as I don't want the same to happen again :oops: )
  • JesseD wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Distance isn't important to me on the turbo, neither is speed as I will be working on HR/Power/Cadence goals, this approach should work for me then.

Booked another 60 mins of pain in for tomorrow (but will test this tonight as I don't want the same to happen again :oops: )
    Like you, I don't care re distance or speed on the turbo. One metric I am interested in keeping an eye on is time on bike, however. I transfer my data to VeloViewer via Strava and this is a great way to see hours spent on the bike, as one way to see training load (I also use Golden Cheetah eg to track TSS). However, I discovered that I have to log my turbo rides on Strava as "indoor" as even though I was tagging them as "workout", it was recording them as lasting e.g. 4 seconds (the time that the GPS had me moving due to GPS location error). If you tag them as indoor, then Strava and Veloviewer will then record the elapsed time.