Folding bike helmet wins design award

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/17/folding-bike-helmet-wins-james-dyson-design-award

Looks like one of those Christmas decorations we used to have when I was kid :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Yes, I remember those decorations .. I had a santa whos belly unfolded out to make him fat and 3D .... looked identical to that .. only in red with a black belt (not martial arts)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    now that really would melt in the rain
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I don't get it.

Ok, if you need to carry it about with you fair enough. But you'd just leave your helmet with the bike which doesn't fold up to fit in your backback/handbag, no?

I can't see many situations in which you can't carry/keep your helmet with you.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Dinyull wrote:
    I don't get it.

Ok, if you need to carry it about with you fair enough. But you'd just leave your helmet with the bike which doesn't fold up to fit in your backback/handbag, no?

I won't leave my helmet with my bike (it's £150 and they get knocked about & smelly - it goes on my head, I want to look after it), and I'm too vain to carry it around when I'm walking around the shops in normal clothes.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    But you'd just leave your helmet with the bike

Not if it's a hire bike.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    I don't get it.

Boris bikes. We used them in Boston to get around, and didn't have helmets with us.
  • fat daddy
    or if you don't want your helmet stolen
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I like the idea, but then I'm the type of person it's marketed at - a rare user of PT/cycle share schemes either in London or abroad. As a tourist, a helmet can be an arse to carry around - in a rucksack or other, so the idea of one that folds smallish, lightweight, and packs next to my hardback book, I'm happy about.
    As a dad, and therefore a builder of honeycomb based cardboard forts, it's amazing how strong cardboard can be!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Dinyull wrote:
    I don't get it.

I won't leave my helmet with my bike (it's £150 and they get knocked about & smelly - it goes on my head, I want to look after it), and I'm too vain to carry it around when I'm walking around the shops in normal clothes.

So what do you do with your current helmet?

I'll give you all Boris bikes - would make sense for that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    I don't get it.

Sits on my desk at work.

When I ride to the shops in civies I don't wear one.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    I don't get it.

Sits on my desk at work.

:shock:

The-Helmet-of-Salvation.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Not very aero....

;)
  • fat daddy

why don't you wear one to the shops ?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    fat daddy wrote:
    why don't you wear one to the shops ?
    I'm too vain to carry it around when I'm walking around the shops in normal clothes
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't ride with a helmet when I hire a bike - carrying one with you on the offchance you might hire a bike isn't going to work for me.

On my own bike I'm going faster and further and I have to race with one anyway and theres no transport issues.

To me the risks of hire bikes are very low.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I never wear a helmet so what
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The christmas decoration helmet made of honeycombed cardboard isn’t new. Below is a French design from 2008.

topup02.jpg

topup03.jpg

Like the American design, also meant for when using a bike-hire scheme in a city.

The 'new'' American design - a touch of plagiarism rather than worthy of a prize for innovation?
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    ....but the paper cuts.... Elf & Safety nightmare! :-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • tumblr_m0bqgh2Ujq1qkjxepo1_500.jpg

Dyson's new bike chain (can't claim credit for the joke)
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.