Phillips Saferide 80 - Red light whilst charging

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    prawny wrote:
    I've got a Trelock LS 950 from Rose last winter, it's pretty good. I generally run it on level 1 at this time of year and the battery lasts over 40 hours on a charge. It'll do 6 hours (I think, can't remember off the top of my head) on full whack which is enough to ride unlit streets by, wouldn't take it off road though.

The battery gauge is a proper digital count down, which I love, although it makes my other rechargable lights seem crap with their vague systems of lights and flashes.

Edit - This one https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/tre ... aid:470889

1712777_1.hcuz5dca6e.jpg

That looks like one very capable light Prawny - what guarantee do you get?

The other thing that attracts me to the B&M ones, is a 5 year guarantee, I think it would be fair to say, that I would expect a battery or charging issue within that time period.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Ooh - good question, I've just done a googling and it looks like 2 years. But I can't be 100% sure.

Also there are lots of reviews saying the mount is crap, mine is fine, I've not taken it off my bike all year and it's just sat there doing it's thing when I've needed it too. Didn't even have to charge it over the summer, just used it when the visibility was bad.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Chaps if any of you end up deciding on the back of this that your Saferide is 'retiring' from service I'd like to discuss taking it off your hands - I've been looking for one to hack into a bespoke led/battery project for a while - PM me
    Cheers
    Matt
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Matt,
    There's a chap on the singletrackworld fora, pdw, who modded his saferide to take an external battery input. May be worth making contact with him to compare notes?
  • daniel_b
    With a genuinely very heavy heart, I have packaged up my two Saferides, and will be taking them to the post office tomorrow.

Have a feeling that will be the last I see of them, but assuming I may get a credit towards something else.
    Maybe I will get lucky and they will sort them and send them back - I will update with what happens.

Comparing the beam throw, spread against a Lezyne 1000, it still is superior, so very sad to see them go.
    But the slightly random behaviour, such as switching off, and the charging light going red after several hours charging, means I just can't trust them fully.
    On occasion I will go out for a 5am ride, and I need a light I can rely on, and of course I need a reliable light for the child transporter bike - yes they have backup lights, but I can't take that kind of risk even then.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So today a parcel arrives from Rose.

In it are two boxes with two Saferide 80's in - I only sent the lights with batteries in back, but they have sent back the lights with new batteries, and a full accessory kit, including new mounts that allow the rotation of the light to pretty much where ever you want it.

Now debating whether to sell one or not.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • That's great service and they are great lights. Will they last? Dunno, but worth keeping IMO.

Your helmet despatched yet?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    That's great service and they are great lights. Will they last? Dunno, but worth keeping IMO.

Your helmet despatched yet?

Indeed, very good service - spookily just yesterday it crossed my mind as to what might be happening with them.
    I also forgot to add that these are definitely not the same pair of lights I sent off, as one my gf managed to drop and although it worked fine, the edge of the front lens had a rough section.

So not sure if they refurbed a batch of broken ones, and had them ready for warranty returns.

No not a sausage on the helmet unfortunately.

And looking at their last update:
    https://lumoshelmet.co/blogs/news/update-25-more-helmets-shipped

I wonder if I should not contact them, as it sounds like I should be getting a survey of some kind, and have had nothing.
    When checking my order it just says they are preparing it, having said that, I don't need it til Christmas, so I'll give them until next month.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18