pollution monitor

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited December 2016 in Commuting chat
Might be of interest to people - I recently got a carbon monoxide monitor for free from https://our.clean.space/maplondon/

It all seems legitimate, the company is owned by Lord Drayson https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... art-sensor

It appears they are giving away to some people for free in order to build a more realistic pollution map of London. They use carbon monoxide as a proxy for other pollutants. Just need to fill in how you'd use it (I put down commuting from Walthamstow new north circular to Canary Wharf mainly along canal)

Comes with a smartphone app which shows a 'model' pollution map of London, plus after journeys it shows how polluted your journey appeared to be (a heat map along your route in a map view). Downside is that is sucks your smartphone power quite a bit. I don't mind myself as I always plug my phone to charge at home and office.

I've done under 200 miles with it and am already placed at about 1000 in ranking by user miles (of about 60,000 people) so I think they could do with some longer commuters in their group.
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    There was an Economist article a little while ago that suggested that the peaks of pollution isn't the problem but the ongoing constant smaller but still serious amounts (amounts which appear fine in those day to day warnings/measures) are what get you.

Air-quality indices make pollution seem less bad than it is
    http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... eathtaking
  • Wonder if they'll extend the scheme elsewhere? Doubt it but I'd certain be interested in finding out my pollution hotspots. Reckon I should go off road more to try and escape the pollution a bit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks interesting, unfortunately they are now asking £41.66 for the monitor!

EDIT for TM: the details mention Birmingham and other cities being rolled out later.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jds_1981
    The Rookie wrote:
    Looks interesting, unfortunately they are now asking £41.66 for the monitor!

EDIT for TM: the details mention Birmingham and other cities being rolled out later.
    Really? I just filled in the form linked and was sent one for free. Are you doing that or following another link to their shop?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    Interesting, I didn't try that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Where do you have to put it? Seems quite big to be carrying as well as a phone if it can't just sit in a bag.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I signed up - I would put it in the mesh pockets on the side of my backpack. Or get one of those water bottle storage bottles and put it in with the top off?
  • jds_1981
    I carry it in my jersey pocket when dry and inside coat pocket when wet. Apparently not really water proof. It's a little smaller than a mobile, very light and doesn't need charging. I think it can be carried in a bag but I suppose will be a bit less accurate.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Just got an email saying mine is in the post!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Signed in the week, and had it by Saturday. Interesting riding around with it so far. Results largely as you would expect really. May try a few alternative routes to see how they compare when I've gathered a bit more data.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Anonymous
    Mine has arrived but for some reason the app thinks I have spent the last two days riding around cannock chase when all i've done is one way to work....
  • The Rookie
    And someone riding round Cannock has an account saying they've been working at your office?
  • jds_1981
    Hints and tips...
    You may find that it's not all being tracked as cycling.
    There's a link in http://www.ourcleanspace.com/my
    'validate journeys ' where you can update the legs to be bicycle or whatever. It will learn from this.
    After journeys if you view the map immediately it appears to show an estimated map. Take a few minutes to update (mine showed all yellow today but after about 5 minutes mainly changed to green) I think they do quite a bit of processing at their end.
    That's about it.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I have one and didn't have to pay for it. As already said you do need to validate your journeys as otherwise it seems to think you're on the Tube for 2 minutes, then a bus, then a car etc. I found that it didn't always record the journey but holding my phone against the tag for 5 seconds before starting the ride seems to have done the trick. I keep it in the mesh pocket on my rucksack. For those of you who are competitive (all cyclists?) it ranks you out of the 65,572 users. Fortunately, I dropped one place so now the neighbour of the beast - 667.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • jds_1981
    Ah, I'm now at 799.

First few tend of thousands are gone through really quickly, started to slow down though now, I guess hitting the more committed users & cyclists.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I got one for free in the summer when they first launched it. Used it for a few weeks but an 18 mile commute and it absolutely kills the battery on my iphone. I then managed to log out of the app somehow and CBA to log back in so its sitting unused at home now.
    FCN = 4
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    jds_1981 wrote:
    am already placed at about 1000 in ranking by user miles (of about 60,000 people) so I think they could do with some longer commuters in their group.

...they had longer commutes but died of lung cancer :D
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Ah, I'm now at 799.

First few tend of thousands are gone through really quickly, started to slow down though now, I guess hitting the more committed users & cyclists.

I've been using it for a total of 4 days riding for which it only seems to have registered about 50% of the actual mileage... and I'm ranked 3500ish out of 65000ish.... :|

It has now stopped registering more than about 1km of my 18km commute...

Rapidly losing the will to be arsed with it.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • jds_1981
    MrSweary wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Ah, I'm now at 799.

I've been using it for a total of 4 days riding for which it only seems to have registered about 50% of the actual mileage... and I'm ranked 3500ish out of 65000ish.... :|

It has now stopped registering more than about 1km of my 18km commute...

Rapidly losing the will to be arsed with it.
    I understand your pain, my journeys tend to fully load after a few minutes.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Does it need to connect to your phone all the time or can you just 'upload' at the end of the day to the app (my phone not compatible, wife's is)?
  • pastryboy wrote:
    Does it need to connect to your phone all the time or can you just 'upload' at the end of the day to the app (my phone not compatible, wife's is)?

It has to be paired to your phone via Bluetooth and you also need to go to the website to "validate" your journey. I find if I hold my phone against the pollution monitor for 5 seconds before the ride it records all of it.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • Not connecting to my phone. Might have to send it back.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Not connecting to my phone. Might have to send it back.
    Pressed the connect button properly? Mine turned up a few days ago and it took me a few goes to sync. Turned out I wasn't pressing the black reset button hard enough. A little LED lights up when it's ready to pair.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Not connecting to my phone. Might have to send it back.
    Pressed the connect button properly? Mine turned up a few days ago and it took me a few goes to sync. Turned out I wasn't pressing the black reset button hard enough. A little LED lights up when it's ready to pair.

Yes, that turned green, and it says "found" on the phone and goes up to 30%, then makes it to about 55% before saying there's problems and to try again. Every time.
  • Lota
    Lota Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    You know I use Weather Underground app or The Weather Channel Live here. I have it on the phone and on the desktop also. It shows everything about the weather, plus the air quality, UV index, pollen types if grass, trees, weed. And all this info is free. Why should I spend £41.66 for the monitor?
  • Lota wrote:
    You know I use [something else]. It shows everything about the weather, plus the air quality, UV index, pollen types if grass, trees, weed. And all this info is free. Why should I spend £41.66 for the monitor?

I didn't pay for the monitor, but it would show the pollution exactly where I have been. Not wherever the fixed monitors are. And also update so the pollution can be monitored where people go.
  • Lota
    Lota wrote:
    You know I use [something else]. It shows everything about the weather, plus the air quality, UV index, pollen types if grass, trees, weed. And all this info is free. Why should I spend £41.66 for the monitor?

I didn't pay for the monitor, but it would show the pollution exactly where I have been. Not wherever the fixed monitors are. And also update so the pollution can be monitored where people go.

Oh, I see your point, yes, for that reason, it can be a necessary gadget.
    But honestly, for me it's still unimportant.
  • Anonymous
    It's free.

Also, it's not all about you. It's collecting data for a wider project.
  • Lota
    coriordan wrote:
    It's free.
    Also, it's not all about you. It's collecting data for a wider project.

Sorry, I've misunderstood the purpose of this gadget. Thanks that you corrected me!
  • So it's paired now, and I had it in my pocket when I rode to work this morning, but no journey showing. Do I need to do anything else?