Garmin Edge 25 bike computer

pedal_power556
pedal_power556 Posts: 31
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
Any good? Especially the route tracker

Comments

• I use one. Mostly for heart rate monitoring (quite literally saves my life).

It really chews up the battery if you have the backlight on all the time...drops to a life of two hours from around seven!

Display is clear and it is easy to operate even with gloves on. I wear gloves all the time, and pretty thick ones below about 6-7 degrees (see heart rate!).

One issue I do have is with my lights, which are ANT+ enabled. The unit insists on pairing with them, REALLY insists...like my daughter asking for sweets/a puppy. Unlike my daughter I can't seem to threaten it to stop. The theory sounds good...pair the lights and it will turn them on at start up. The reality is a bit random, including the unit turning the lights on/off at very inconvenient times, like 25 MPH down an unlit wet and muddy cycle path at night.

Other than the light issue, very happy with it.

Hope to try out navigation soon.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    > including the unit turning the lights on/off at very inconvenient times, like 25 MPH down an unlit wet and muddy cycle path at night

S**t! That sounds *seriously* dangerous. Maybe there's something you could do to the lights to disable their ANT+? I didn't know there were ANT+ enabled lights. Not something I'd want Garmin to be able to have an effect on; my lights, that is.
  • ben----- wrote:
    > including the unit turning the lights on/off at very inconvenient times, like 25 MPH down an unlit wet and muddy cycle path at night

S**t! That sounds *seriously* dangerous. Maybe there's something you could do to the lights to disable their ANT+? I didn't know there were ANT+ enabled lights. Not something I'd want Garmin to be able to have an effect on; my lights, that is.

I have freakishly good night vision (at the expense of wearing sunglasses more than most people)...but now also carry a spare cheap light!

I am asking Garmin on their forum for a firmware update.

The ANT+ is to control both lights from a handlebar mounted remote, with the option of adding indicators! Use it a lot more than I thought I would.
  • I like mine a lot: quick, easy to read and use, Bluetooth pairing, syncing and notifications. Only problem I find is that you can't choose to have the clock on the main displays, it only appears on a separate one. Would be much better for me if it could. Minor problem. Battery life is way down from the 500, which is a shame too. Oh, and it can't connect to the power meter that I'm unlikely to ever own.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    I like mine a lot: quick, easy to read and use, Bluetooth pairing, syncing and notifications. Only problem I find is that you can't choose to have the clock on the main displays, it only appears on a separate one. Would be much better for me if it could. Minor problem. Battery life is way down from the 500, which is a shame too. Oh, and it can't connect to the power meter that I'm unlikely to ever own.
    Likewise heart rate monitoring. That is ONLY on a display all on it's own.
    That was a deal breaker for me on a unit I was otherwise entirely happy with.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    I like mine a lot: quick, easy to read and use, Bluetooth pairing, syncing and notifications. Only problem I find is that you can't choose to have the clock on the main displays, it only appears on a separate one. Would be much better for me if it could. Minor problem. Battery life is way down from the 500, which is a shame too. Oh, and it can't connect to the power meter that I'm unlikely to ever own.
    Likewise heart rate monitoring. That is ONLY on a display all on it's own.
    That was a deal breaker for me on a unit I was otherwise entirely happy with.

This is one of my key reservations about it - I really don't understand why they'd have it set up like this. I really like the idea of it otherwise. Short battery life isn't ideal, though.
  • Got 2, one coat £80 and I bought a second for £45. Seriously decent unit for that price. Pairs easily but my first one played up a little with the top right button.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I have a seriously aging 705, and wanted to replace with a 25 due to need to otherwise keep buying gsc10 units.
    The hrm only display killed it for me, as my display is normally hrm, cadence, and time.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Thanks for all your replies, can someone recommend a portable power pack that is compatible, so I can recharge the Edge 25 when out about...
  • Thanks for all your replies, can someone recommend a portable power pack that is compatible, so I can recharge the Edge 25 when out about...

Any portable phone charging power pack will do. Something like 2000mAh will do a couple of charges. Probably worth getting an extra charge cable, they are unique.
  • greenamex2 wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies, can someone recommend a portable power pack that is compatible, so I can recharge the Edge 25 when out about...

Any portable phone charging power pack will do. Something like 2000mAh will do a couple of charges. Probably worth getting an extra charge cable, they are unique.

Thanks, I just brought a Maplin 3000mAh Power Bank, weighing 95g! Hope it does the job...
  • Also I found a Edge 25 on Ebays for £75 (used very good condition) not a bad price really!
  • pblakeney
    Also I found a Edge 25 on Ebays for £75 (used very good condition) not a bad price really!
    Well, Aldi were selling them for £50.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Also I found a Edge 25 on Ebays for £75 (used very good condition) not a bad price really!
    Just had a look on Aldi website, no longer there. Cheapest I could find them new was at Halfords for £94
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Just had a look on Aldi website, no longer there. Cheapest I could find them new was at Halfords for £94
    Timing is paramount.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I've just been looking at the manual online and it charges via a strange looking connection...how long is the lead. I was told it charges via micro USB, is this the case?
  • pblakeney
    I've just been looking at the manual online and it charges via a strange looking connection...how long is the lead. I was told it charges via micro USB, is this the case?
    It is very definitely a specific lead for the unit, not any USB, and from memory, about 300mm long. See below. Left side connects to the unit via the 4 points, USB to plug/computer. It is also impossible to charge while mounted.
    edge25clip.jpg
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    I've just been looking at the manual online and it charges via a strange looking connection...how long is the lead. I was told it charges via micro USB, is this the case?
    It is very definitely a specific lead for the unit, not any USB, and from memory, about 300mm long. See below. Left side connects to the unit via the 4 points, USB to plug/computer. It is also impossible to charge while mounted.
    edge25clip.jpg

Thanks for the input, not what I was hoping! The design is all wrong for my needs :( I was hoping you could charge as you go via a micro USB connected to a mobile power pack if needed...
  • How long does it take to charge then?
  • So a power pack is only any good if you stop for a while and charge it...hopefully in newer models you can charge it on the fly!