Any thoughts on buying this for first bike?

Gavsl123
Gavsl123 Posts: 26
edited November 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi guys i am looking purchase a bike for around £250.

I have seen one of these selling on ebay
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

the guy lives quite close to me and said i could have it for £210

do you think this is a good bike to get back into cycling.

Will be riding on canals and a few hills nothing much

Comments

• https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302134776763

You mentioned canals, this one is in Birmingham, So I'm assuming it might be it?

It looks like he's replaced the rear cassette with an 8 speed, but kept the original 9 speed shifter?

There are marks to the frame too, probably from a triangle Frame bag.
  • Yeah, that was the one. should i not go for that?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not for more than £150
  • :O i really aint got a clue what bike i should be buying for like £200-£250 lol

that bike is £500 in halfords and not worth buying for £150 :S
  • Take a look on gumtree, search under bikes, in Birmingham, and see what's about, there are quite a few voodoo's, Giants, cubes etc.

I guess in an ideal world you will want something that's from a mainstream reputable brand, has been stored indoors, is less than 3 years old (unless it has been maintained well), hydraulic disc brakes.

HTH,

Greenback
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as by mainstream and reputable you include Carrera, Calibre, Rockrider, Voodoo etc, it doesn't have to be a big name (and £) name.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ima just get 1 of these brand new i think, hopefully there is some good mtb trails around birmingaham
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cannock Chase isn't far away, you have a choice of fireroads, the dedicated Dog and Monkey or the off piste trails when you learn your way around.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.