4 inches of snow on Ilkley moor and more on its way :cry:

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    sounds like fun ..... fat bike ?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    +1 but no snow for me yet.

Winter is a sod. I find it depressing from the moment the clocks go back, and I'm sick of that farce too.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fat daddy wrote:

Elec MTB !!!!
  • fat daddy
    but ... but its fun .. you get to use all the winter gear that's been stored for the last 8 months

Long bibtights, long jerseys, gloves that make you look like a lobster, winter tires, the array of flashing lights, knee warmers, scull caps.

Hot drinks ... nothing beats coming in from the bitter bitter cold and not being able to feel and having a hot drink and a shower

Ah, the bleakness and desolation of scenery that was once filled with people, now a stark landscape with only you and the mist of your breath

The self satisfaction and righteousness of exercising when others are too weak and feeble to harden the F up

Sluggish gear changes because your chain doesn't want to shift

using mud tires on off road bikes to rip through the mud and wet
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy wrote:

Elec MTB !!!!

ah, now we are talking, that really does sound fun, especially in the snow

Body armour .... did I mention body armour, you can wear it comfortably in the winter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Got the MTB prepped but in the end stuck with the road bike. Not too bad in Leeds.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    fat daddy wrote:
    but ... but its wet

Fixed that for you :lol:

I don't do well in the cold due to circulation problems. I don't mind going out on crisp dry morning, but as for actually going out when it's raining? Lets just say I've heard of that. :wink:

But the dark is the main thing for me, i don't like riding in it much. I get back with sore eyes which I think comes from not blinking, i must be really concentrating on the road in front of my tyre. I try to get out for the exercise but if it's no longer enjoyable, why bother?

This time of year finds me mainly in the shed on the rollers.

The older I get, the better I was.

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Capt Slog wrote:
    but if it's no longer enjoyable, why bother?

This time of year finds me mainly in the shed on the rollers.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rolf F wrote:
    Got the MTB prepped but in the end stuck with the road bike. Not too bad in Leeds.

Nothing but pi$$ing rain in Newmarket, but had a text from my sister in Pontefract saying they'd got snow and she'd put her snow chains on. On her shoes that is...
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Winter riding can be exhilarating. I rode across bleak moors in pouring rain for a few hours today, I hardly saw a soul. In summer it would have been a nice ride, today it is was a memorable experience.
  • Gromson
    Gromson Posts: 100
    Winter cycling is FANTASTIC!
    Don't get me wrong; I love being out on my over-protected summer bike wearing nanometer thick clothing.
    But getting out on the road at 6am in the middle of winter and seeing the sunrises and foxes and relative lack of idiots stumbling about gives me a buzz.
    Who needs a turbo trainer?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Time to book a ski holiday...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Time to book a ski holiday...

No need - plenty of snow here !!!!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I just do it to maintain some continuity. However, sometimes you get a bright winter day with no breeze and providing you're dressed for it, it can be good. I do like glass cranking for 3-4 months of the year, just twiddling, nothing more.
    It's great for quiet roads all year around here but winter roads are dead.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    The weather round here seems to be doing a good job of maintaining continuity, still pi$$ing down, I hate the graunchy grinding noise when braking after 15 minutes of soaking grit strewn roads. Grrrrr
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • pinno
    bbrap wrote:
    The weather round here seems to be doing a good job of maintaining continuity, still pi$$ing down, I hate the graunchy grinding noise when braking after 15 minutes of soaking grit strewn roads. Grrrrr

Cover yourself in Petroleum jelly/Lard and don't brake.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Pinno wrote:

I can't do that, I'd be worried that I might get some on my best winter thong, then where would I be.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • pinno
    bbrap wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I can't do that, I'd be worried that I might get some on my best winter thong, then where would I be.

There's a joke in there somewhere about Christmas Carols but I can't quite nail it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Choice 1 - Embrace the winter. Choice 2 - Emigrate.
    All other options are futile.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    So what if it dark, lights exist so what if its wet and cold like today. Did 277km in that weather and loved it.

I love life and i love riding so i love late autumn and winter too. 4" of snow i'll have some of that please.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    So what if it dark, lights exist so what if its wet and cold like today. Did 277km in that weather and loved it.

I love life and i love riding so i love late autumn and winter too. 4" of snow i'll have some of that please.

decent ride!

I went out on the MTB and had a ball, much more fun than the rollers in the stables
  • pinno
    277km's in November rain? Yer aff yer heid.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    TLW1 wrote:

decent ride!

I went out on the MTB and had a ball, much more fun than the rollers in the stables
    That's mountain biking for you - more fun :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nothing wrong with my head. It is everyone else that is off there head staying in doors riding a turbo on zwift :wink:
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pinno
    Nothing wrong with my head. It is everyone else that is off there head staying in doors riding a turbo on zwift :wink:

It's alright. It's what the girl said to me in the cafe during the summer half way through a 70 mile loop.
    Very much doubt I could do 173 miles unless it was mid summer and I was in East Angliru.