Uxbridge Road - anyone ride it?

HamishD
HamishD Posts: 538
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
Specifically the bit between Hayes and Shepherd's Bush.

Google Maps has it bang on 10 miles, but what is the road like? I know the bit from Shepherd's Bush Green out to Old Oak is rather traffic light heavy but further out?

And is it bike friendly?

Much obliged if anyone can assist here.

Cheers

H

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    its horrible. the uxbridge road is grim. terrible road surface. pretty busy.

i use it when i ride to and from hillingdon to race.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    from the title I assumed it was a bike from PlanetX .. it is actually a road
  • HamishD
    spasypaddy wrote:
    its horrible. the uxbridge road is grim. terrible road surface. pretty busy.

i use it when i ride to and from hillingdon to race.

Ah - thanks. It's the most direct route out west, can't think of another that doesn't add miles :(:cry:
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Yep, from Ealing to Shepherds Bush (and onward to Shoreditch). As spasypaddy says, it's horrible. There's nothing good about it. The surface is bad, congestion is high and drivers are careless - I've been left-hooked several times over the years.

The Ealing mini-Holland works might offer some improvement to a small section.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    And when you get to the end of it, you get to cycle around Shepard's Bush roundabout.

One for only the most blasé urban cyclist.
  • kenito
    kenito Posts: 13
    Yes, until this Summer (after 2 years of doing), I used to commute from Stanley Gardens intersection with Uxbridge Rd to Shepherds Bush & beyond.
    For that section, road surface is seriously crap. Pot holes and misaligned manhole covers galore. The section from Bloemfontein Rd intersection is better. Been resurfaced but badly done. ... V Bumpy.
    From Summer, I switched to a road bike. Didn't feel confident with potholes. So switched to Goldhawk Rd instead. Longer route but faster. Less lights. Great tarmac. Plus I go straight across Shepherds Bush Green, hitting Uxbridge Rd from ped lights. Saving severe traffic hassle & pollution.
  • I did use it a lot when I lived in Uxbridge... the bad bit is around Hillingdon and until Hanwell. As you get towards Ealing and Acton is fine.

Have you considered the grand union canal path?
    left the forum March 2023
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    Yeah most days between Ealing and Shepherds bush. Not too bad in that direction in the morning, most of it is bus lane but there are a lot of places where you need to take a lot of care with the traffic. Coming back the other way in the evening there's usually a lot of stationary motorists so you can feel smug as you ride past them, but do take care because they often leave a gap in the queue to let drivers in and out of junctions and those taking advantage of that to turn can take you out.
  • HamishD
    Thanks all - sounds grotbags.

The canal is pretty hairy, particularly when riding in the dark and on the side nearest the drink! But might be worth a shot.
  • I use it regularly catching it from Hanwell up to Uxbridge. It's not great but I get much less near misses than I used to doing Barnes -> Tottenham Court Road. In the mornings it is relatively quiet on the Dual Carriageway bits. The road surface is as fine as any normal London Road surface can be. The hairy bits are Southall and in going East Hayes with the cars parked in the road. You need to firmly take the whole of the inside lane to stay out of the DOZ.

In the summer I mix it up with the towpath but in winter the towpath is a big no-no from me.
  • HamishD wrote:
    Thanks all - sounds grotbags.

The canal is pretty hairy, particularly when riding in the dark and on the side nearest the drink! But might be worth a shot.
    I know what you mean... the bit in Hayes is pretty hairy... I have complained many times with the council about the urine puddles under the bridge, the broken glass everywhere and the general disturbance going on, but to no avail. Apart for that bit (which can be by passed) the rest is fine...
    Very muddy around Southall in winter though
    left the forum March 2023